CLOSED --- TOUGH DOG SUSPENSIONS and TOUR FLEX SPRINGS---CLOSED (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRAIL TAILOR

Enabler
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
trail-tailor.com
4-2-2023

WE ARE NO LONGER SELLING OR IMPORTING ANYTHING FROM TOUGH DOG DUE TO THEIR NEW OWNERSHIP, RISING FREIGHT COSTS AND LIMITED AVAILABILITY OF PARTS/LEAD TIMES.

I STILL HAVE A SMALL INVENTORY OF MY TOURFLEX TAPERED WIRE COILS FOR THE 80, 100 and 200 SERIES. PLEASE PM IF INTERESTED.

THANK YOU.

Jason
TT

4-2-2023

About 2 years ago when visiting family in London, I got to ride in a Defender 110 with a Tough Dog lift kit equipped with adjustable shocks. I was absolutely blown away by the ride and handling compared to other lift kits I'd experienced in the past. Riding down the highway/motorway was one thing, but once we got to a trail my wife's cousin said when I stop get out and turn the shock knobs to X and X... We stopped, got out and made adjustments and within 20 seconds we were on our way. After about a 1/4 mile I forgot we weren't on a paved road. He continued to show me the ins and outs of the shocks and what he used each stage for. Most suspension kits are good for one or two applications and with the loading and unloading of gear and then the terrain.. It is a completely different situation. IMO, you're either comfortable or being beat to death with most kits out there. Once you change weights or terrains a standard suspension is outside its intended design parameters.

With the Tough Dog adjustable set up it was like having multiple kits at the turn of 5 knobs and 10-30 seconds of our time.

Over the past two years I've researched, spoken with the owner and TD staff, visited with other people all over the world about Tough Dog and their experiences with them. Most of my Australian vendors use Tough Dog over any other kit offering in Australia. I like that I can speak to the owner directly and the staff is consistently the same.

I've ordered in a few kits to be installed by select MUD members that have proven to be trustworthy and truthful about their comments and their reputations to test these out.

As well as standard cruiser kits and component offerings my R&D extended travel aka TOUR FLEX springs set up arrived today. These will be available for the 80 and 100 and potentially the 200 in the near future.

The FOAM CELL shocks are incredible whether in a standard or adjustable option. Tough Dog was tested against other manufacturers and was awarded the best overall offroad shock. Here is a link for a field test and the results for your review.

http://www.euro4x4parts.com/images/4wd_action_165_tough_dog.pdf

Check out the ToughDog website. The build your 4WD application is nice and shows all the TD options for your rig.

Tough Dog 4WD Suspension | Home

The TOUR FLEX spring details:

SPRINGS- 75mm lift are made with XK5 German spring steel, fronts- 17mm and rears- 19mm wire diameter.

Fronts are 545-535mm with a rate of 200-270LB/"
Rears are 555-545mm with a rate of 180-320LB/"

SHOCKS- are a 45mm (1.77") bore FOAM CELL TWIN TUBE design with a 70mm (2.75") casings and 9 stage adjustable to boot as a standard option with this kit. This means 800% adjustability on all four corners and per corner, not to mention an adjustable steering stabilizer.

STEERING STABILIZER- has a 35mm (1.38") bore and adjustable as well. Tune your steering to your liking and your needs in seconds.

CASTER CORRECTION- TD offers 2-6 degree correction in bushing and plate designs options.

I will be installing the rear setup in my 100 to get some install measurements, real life use with comments and pics of course and then I will be needing a 80 owner (I have a growing list already, but no serious takers yet...) to come to the shop for the install, take measurements, spend an extra day with me for misc trail runs and then a full report and pics as well.

**NOTE** For the guys that have to have/want a reservoir adjustable shock (I'm assured by TD this is not necessary, but to each their own...), no worries... as of today I am a KING shock distributor as well and I can get you fixed up with your desired wants.

Also, once I like what the end result is.... turnaround time should be 2 weeks on full kits delivered to the customer. Even less once I have the stock order received. Most all that know me or have worked with me on their custom orders know that I am 110% about communications (good, bad or indifferent) You will always know what I know about OUR orders.

ToughDog is not a newcomer to this market. Over 32 years of on hand engineering, design and usage from the owner and over 100 years combined of the same credentials from his management/design staff.

More to come and as always, let me know if I can answer any questions.

Thanks all,

Jason

80-- TOUR FLEX kit , adjustable shocks and adjustable steering stabilizer
IMG_20161005_100426332.jpg

Adjustable steering stabilizer-- tune your steering to fit your needs!
IMG_20161005_100447410.jpg

80 Caster correction bushings
IMG_20161005_100454074.jpg

100 kit -- torsion bars with 45mm adjustable rear shocks
IMG_20160920_104731223.jpg

80-- 2" light kit with steering stabilizer
IMG_20160920_103006720.jpg

Last edited:
@LS1FJ40 received a light 2" kit with foam cell shocks. He has installed the kit and made a few comments.

"I'm very impressed with the quality of the Tough Dog springs and shocks. They are beefy as hell. Springs appear to be about 50% thicker than stock OEM springs. Shocks are substantially larger than the OEM Tokico as well. Gained about 2.5" over the OEM springs. This is perfect for what I wanted."

"Then came home put the rear springs and shocks on the 93. Gave her a shakedown run and she rides like a new truck. Very impressed with the Tough Dog springs and foam cell shocks that I got from Trail Tailor aka @reevesci. She is firm but cushiony on road. Then took her on a gravel/dirt road that was pretty rough. Incredibly impressed at 35-40 mph on gravel/dirt."

"I got to give the 93 a proper washboard run with the new 2" Tough Dog lift. New springs and 41mm Foam Cell shocks. Drove a Level B road to a customer's house today. I've driven this road 7-8 times before and always drove the 3 miles at about 20-25 MPH with my teeth rattling. This time I cruised along at 40. Very stable feeling ride. Never felt like I was losing contact with the road like before.

Very impressed. Going to order the same kit but stock height for my 92.

Night and day difference over the brand new OEM Tokico mono tube shocks."

img_1236-jpg.1330110

Before :
img_1231-jpg.1330183

After :
img_1237-jpg.1330184

Waiting on a few more pics and reviews.

J

I'll get some pics for you tomorrow Jason. Really like this left. I've had other lifts on my 92. Very impressed with how this lift "feels". It feels tighter on road but forgiving off.

The foam cell shocks are a huge difference. When I order my stock height I will run it for a week or so with the stock height springs and OEM Tokico shocks (that are brand new) in order to compare it to the foam cell shocks.

Very cool to see new offerings. Nice work Jason. The next time I work with a customer on a lift kit I will definitely keep this in mind.

:cheers:

Very cool to see new offerings. Nice work Jason. The next time I work with a customer on a lift kit I will definitely keep this in mind.

:cheers:

Matt, I loved riding in Mick's Defender and it was by far a superior ride to any Rover lift I had ever been in... RTE, TerraFirma or OME.

I highly recommend trying one out. Let me know. I'd make you guys a cost plus deal.

Jason

Do they offer a 2.5 lift for 100 series?
I think when I'm ready to do this I will go tough dog!

Do they offer a 2.5 lift for 100 series?
I think when I'm ready to do this I will go tough dog!

I can get you a 2" or 3" with HD torsions w/ torsion support brackets. There are several shock options to choose from as well. I will also be carrying an adjustable panhard bar.

Thanks for the post and let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

Matt, I loved riding in Mick's Defender and it was by far a superior ride to any Rover lift I had ever been in... RTE, TerraFirma or OME.

I highly recommend trying one out. Let me know. I'd make you guys a cost plus deal.

Jason

I actually had Cruisers more in mind, I have a couple 80's and 100's I work on for guys.

I saw you mention in another thread there's going to be leaf-spring offerings as well?

Very exciting.

I actually had Cruisers more in mind, I have a couple 80's and 100's I work on for guys.

I saw you mention in another thread there's going to be leaf-spring offerings as well?

Very exciting.

I'm working on my stocking order now...

60, 80, 100 and possibly 200 series kits and components will be available soon.

J

Looks real nice... that 100 is supper clean looking and the spring make it nice looking. Looking forward to how it rides.

Can you PM me pricing on a 2" adjustable and a 2" foam cell kit?

If my terminology is wrong i apologize, site is a bit confusing as far as which kit delivers which height.

I did play with the stages a little today.

Per TD recommendation for this kit..

Stage 7 is where I started for the highway run. I felt it was a little firm, but I'm still not fully loaded.
I found that 5 was smooth and thought I was back in the stock rig. (figure 6 will be the sweet spot once loaded)

I played with 1-4 on BLM and the UP access road. I'm a happy customer at 3 and 4. I never would run my rig like I did today but wanted to see and push the rear shocks (mainly my comfort level).

The UP access road is slightly maintained with deep whoops (up to 18" deep) and washboards. At 35mph I can run through this without bottoming out. At about 42-44mph, it hits and I'm pretty sure I caught air a few times. I ran a section of the washboards at 50mph and felt like a rough alley at best. (figure 3 will be the sweet spot off-road)

Overall with the rig still being light for the designed spring rate, I'm sold and love it. The front end and steering is nice. Very responsive, no over steer and holds the road nicely, up to 85mph. Off-road it is a little firm, but I'll give my final opinion once fully loaded.

Very little for poser shots. I still had quite a bit of spring remaining (by looking at the coils, about 3-4") in these shots. I'll hunt for better poser opportunities in the next couple weeks.

J

IMG_20161026_112610445.jpg
IMG_20161026_112633658.jpg
IMG_20161026_112317469.jpg

If my terminology is wrong i apologize, site is a bit confusing as far as which kit delivers which height.

The 2" doesn't exist and not sure if I will pursue a 2"/50mm and or lighter version. This particular 3" is the prototype. Trying to get a feel for it and seeing who might be interested.

Also, this is not a long travel flex style coil like others are selling and I never wanted it to be either. It has a taller free height and is a heavy overlanding/touring spring with a little extra droop/hang. I never wanted these for crawling (but IMO, could contend quite nicely). I wanted a spring that would serve my needs for CONSTANT heavy loads whether on or off road. These springs are 320/180 dual rate.

In a nutshell, if you are not planning on carrying 600+ pounds all the time, these are not for your rig.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom