TN 62 gets a 5 speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A buddy of mine bought a nice 62 a few years ago and was complaining about lack of power with the auto tranny. I was telling him he needed to go with the h55f and get rid of the automatic. Well about 2 weeks ago the automatic died and he decided to take the plunge. We ordered a tranny and a bunch of parts from @orangefj45 and Georg was great! The stuff is supposed to be get here next week. I usually lurk around in the 45,55 and 100 sections. I’m learning about these 3fe. I thought I’d post up here for fun and advice. Here it is after dragging it home.

337DEFD2-F1B7-4BE1-AD9C-4777D20E9110.jpeg

Got the rear main out, bellhousing etc off. Next will pull the oil pan and start cleaning parts and disassemble the t-case. Hopefully I can get a lot of this done before our package arrives!

Jason

View attachment 3226811
Looking forward to seeing the update pics. Thanks for sending business my way.

If I might make a suggestion, loosen the rear main cap slightly, slide the rear main seal in place then re-torque the rear main cap. Then install the oil pan gasket.

Let me know if you guys need any input. Happy to help.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808

Be sure to check out these helpful parts to make the job even easier, Georg carries a few of my wire harnesses and might have sent you one already though. :)

Got our stuff from Georg. He’s been super helpful! Got oil pan off and been cleaning parts. I wish I could get the outside of the t case as clean as this h55f. Baked on grease is kicking my tail!
8FDB1898-2468-4573-BDE6-60CDFA419146.jpeg

That’s it

Let me know if y’all have any advice.
Change the gear oil after 1000 mile break in is my suggestion. There’s nothing magical about exactly 1000 miles, 200 miles might even be better, just change it after driving it for a while - preferably right after driving it while the oili is still warm and metal particles still suspended.

Thanks guys! Any advice on cleaning outside of the t-case? My parts washer isn’t doing anything for the baked on stuff. I tried a pressure washer with hot water and didn’t touch it either. I saw a YouTube video where guy said he used parts washer then put it in a blast cabinet then parts washer again. I just wanted to be careful with the aluminum case. I spent about 4 hours cleaning gasket material off and still need to do the oil pan and block. Just wondering if there is a faster way. It’s been about 20 years since I worked in a transmission shop and honestly they didn’t care how the outside looked. All my mating surfaces are clean where gaskets go but kinda hate putting a cruddy t case on the back of that nice new tranny!

Thanks!
Jason

Thanks guys! Any advice on cleaning outside of the t-case? My parts washer isn’t doing anything for the baked on stuff. I tried a pressure washer with hot water and didn’t touch it either. I saw a YouTube video where guy said he used parts washer then put it in a blast cabinet then parts washer again. I just wanted to be careful with the aluminum case. I spent about 4 hours cleaning gasket material off and still need to do the oil pan and block. Just wondering if there is a faster way. It’s been about 20 years since I worked in a transmission shop and honestly they didn’t care how the outside looked. All my mating surfaces are clean where gaskets go but kinda hate putting a cruddy t case on the back of that nice new tranny!

Thanks!
Jason

See if you can find someone offering vapors blasting in your hood.

The process can make parts look pretty amazing. (Before/after, no paint)

791C50DC-540F-4C77-8AD1-57848C98D452.jpeg

168549C1-A603-4078-B511-78B6A6FC41FA.jpeg

Love my vapor blaster.

19E849ED-3485-44F5-B48A-A2B5338FB401.jpeg

34D719D5-1A5D-4CD0-A409-8246AE1E66A2.jpeg

Love that retro looking 62! I lived in Franklin for several years after I graduated college. I live just up the road now in South Nashville. Hope to see you around town! Good luck with the transmission conversion!

Thanks!
Jason
Try steam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom