TN 62 gets a 5 speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wish I could get the outside of the t case as clean

You can! And its not that hard. You can get the transfer case almost mirror shiny - here’s how:

Get some wet/dry emory paper. I think 1000 grit and 1200 grit. Really fine grit. Has to be wet/dry paper.

Get some Simple Green Extreme Aircraft degreaser (NOT THE GREEN STUFF!!).

Wet sand the SG into the aluminum (wearing gloves) and behold the beauty below. Wipe with a rag frequently to gauge your progress.

When it looks like you’ve reached your SG wet sanding limit, the transfer case will be dull even aluminum.

Next it’s time to move on to Simichrome metal polish. Use Simichrome polish with maybe 1600 grit wet/dry emory paper and polish with the emory paper and goop. The aluminum will start getting mirror clean.
For the last step, just polish with a rag using the Simichrome- and behold the shiny-ness. Itll look better than it ever did. Super duper shiny.
I’ve got a picture of mine after I finished it - for encouragement: )

Last edited:
Just been cleaning stuff, wire wheeling bolts. Got the oil pan painted. Hopefully start assembling t case soon.
8B68451E-0385-4394-99A4-73AFAF19E6D2.jpeg

715E2566-8BB1-46AD-A65A-97DBF3B1D8F0.jpeg

Got the pocket bearing out. Kinda a pain. I didn’t have a puller for this application so I welded a carriage bolt to it and pulled it out with a socket and nut. Probably an easier way but it’s out.
DDDF983C-C236-483B-9029-87BE2954F524.jpeg

Wow! I can’t believe it’s been 5 months. Finally getting back on this today. I own a landscape business and we’ve been extremely busy. My main irrigation tech broke his foot so I’ve had to pick up the slack. I’ve gone from about 7 employees to 17. Major growing pains… anyway that’s my excuse. Over the past few months. I got the t case rebuilt, got the oil pan and gasket on, thanks to Georg @orangefj45 for the tricks. (Praying it doesn’t leak). Got the clutch in tranny in, painted the pedals, starter back in and other small stuff.

Working on the cross member today. Here’s my question for those that have done this. I attached it to the tranny and started jacking it up. The passenger side comes in contact first and is very snug. The driver’s side lacks about a good 4”. See picture. Do I just keep jacking until driver’s side is snugged up? Just seems way out. Thanks for any help.
60EA227A-B635-4D75-8051-350CE5A45DE9.jpeg

Which bell housing do you have?

And which cross members do you have?

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Georg thanks for responding! Not sure exactly. I did get everything from your friend you referred me to in TN. I think his name was Brook? Let me know know if I need to post up pictures of anything.

That’s an 85-87 crossmember. Hopefully the bellhousing has a big 3F stamp on the top to match. If it does, Jack up the crossmember until it meets the frame

Looks to me like you have the 1981-85 bell housing but the 86/87 cross members.

Well that’s pretty disappointing… no 3f stamp that I can see. I guess the guy sold/sent wrong stuff. Anyone got correct bellhousing fo sale?!

We have a few. I’m sure Brooke has one for you as well.
They’re pretty easy to find.

Well that’s pretty disappointing… no 3f stamp that I can see. I guess the guy sold/sent wrong stuff. Anyone got correct bellhousing fo sale?!

Looks like your going to stay with the earlier bellhousing. Keep in mind you will need to bend the shifter to the right. The 10/82-11/84 H55F shifter very hard to find. This will also move the transfer case shifter to left as well. Have you test fitted the mounted transmission without the correct crossmember restricting the transmission from being raised to the correct location? I'm not sure if there will be clearance issues.

Few questions some might know the answer too.

On this conversion what L brackets are being used for the correct crossmember? Unlike the earlier version that were bolted to the frame these L brackets were riveted to the frame.

Will the late FJ60 skid plate work on the H55F in a FJ62?

Looks like your going to stay with the earlier bellhousing. Keep in mind you will need to bend the shifter to the right. The 10/82-11/84 H55F shifter very hard to find. This will also move the transfer case shifter to left as well. Have you test fitted the mounted transmission without the correct crossmember restricting the transmission from being raised to the correct location? I'm not sure if there will be clearance issues.

Few questions some might know the answer too.

On this conversion what L brackets are being used for the correct crossmember? Unlike the earlier version that were bolted to the frame these L brackets were riveted to the frame.

Will the late FJ60 skid plate work on the H55F in a FJ62?

If using 80-84 bellhousing use the 80-84 crossmember and brackets. Simple as that. I have welded in the L-brackets and I have drilled holes and bolted them in. Either way works.
No clearance issues with shifters. It’s only about 3/4” difference.

If using 80-84 bellhousing use the 80-84 crossmember and brackets. Simple as that. I have welded in the L-brackets and I have drilled holes and bolted them in. Either way works.

Because the later L brackets were riveted to the frame I was asking what people are using to replace them. When I picked up a late FJ60 crossmember I was not prepared to drill rivets off the frame. Unlike previous years the late 60 series uses L brackets on the inside and outside of the frame making a total of four brackets. Unless I'm mistaken the FJ62 L brackets are further back. Crossmember supports the adapter between the transmission and transfer case.

The H55F started 10/82 in some markets. I wasn't sure if the body change 11/84 inost markets when the 3F bellhousing started would cause a clearance problem when mixed.

About the around 3/4" change between bellhousingss where was that measured? My only 60 series is an FJ62. What I have checked out is the two FJ60 four transmission shift canes in a FJ40. The early clears the driver's seat and later is right up against the seat. If 3/4" is how much the shift tower rotors it will be a lot more at the end of the shift cane.

Asked about the skid plate because I searched and the part number for our 4/85-7/87 skid plate shows a different part number that other markets withA five speed.

I suffer from OCD. Been collecting parts slowly for the H55F conversion into my FJ62. I seen a picture of one converted that has a transmission boot from model before 4/85. Most wouldn't notice it. To me it was if was painted bright orange. Most people would be happy to have one of these to install a H55F into a 40 series.
PXL_20230514_205442692.jpg

I'm still working on getting parts that includes this here from Australia.
P1050982 (1).JPG
P1050977.JPG

Well, if he is going that route may want the earlier DC driveshaft as well. I generally like to upgrade to newer stuff as it usually provides improvements so, if it was me, I would just get the correct newer bell. They should not be difficult to find.

Well, if he is going that route may want the earlier DC driveshaft as well. I generally like to upgrade to newer stuff as it usually provides improvements so, if it was me, I would just get the correct newer bell. They should not be difficult to find.

I offered to trade him one 🤷

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom