1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tire wear

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by AZcruiser, Sep 25, 2003.

1. AZcruiser

AZcruiser

Ok. had new BFGs ATs installed yesterday(BTW. thanks for the input last week). The old LTXs had unusual wear on the fronts. The outer part of the tread, where it rounds over was bald; the inner and crown had good tread on it. Is this normal wear?...didnt think so. This makes me think I need a good alignment job, but have had some problems getting it close to correct, even a Toyota service dept. gave me a line of bull, said LC always stray and cant be zeroed in.
    Any ideas??
    Chris

2. Beowulf

Beowulf

Chris,

That is not normal tyre wear.

As far as an alignment shop knows, there is only one adjustment on the solid axle 80's and that is the toe in adjustment. Out of spec camber means you have a bent axle. We know that out of spec caster can be "adjusted" with mods like the OME bushings. (fixed adjustment only)

If your toe-in is off you could be wearing the sides of your tyres. From the sounds of it you may have something down there that is bent. That sounds like a lot of wear for the sides to be bald and the tread surface to be normal.

-B-

3. AZcruiser

AZcruiser

Hopefully its nothing bent. The rig was owned by a soccer mom so not too much abuse. If it is a bent axle, approx cost and procedure?? I am scheduled to rebuild the knuckles 1-2 weeks in October. Something to check then if the alignment dosent correct it?

Thanks
    Chris

4. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

At 58k my original Michelins where worn nice and even across the tread. My AT/Kos now have 60k on them and also have the same nice even wear and have never been rotated.

5. Beowulf

Beowulf

It would take a *lot* to bend an axle. Tie rod, maybe.
    -B-

6. Koffer

Koffer

AZ
    You said it was a soccer mom who had it before you . She may have been running the tires low (a nicer ride) and also driving it like its sports car getting the "lil" ones to school,soccer,stores and maybe see a dude on the side in between :D.
    I take it to a shop (you trust) and have them just check the alignment to see how everything looks after you do the front end svc . Then go from there

7. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    jack up the front check your bearings too...man, sounds abnormal for sure.

8. Desertmaster

Desertmaster

I will go with Beowulf on the tie rod possibility, it could be loose and you need a new one.

My $0.02

Al

9. anderaa13

anderaa13

Does your truck have stock suspension? I noticed increased wear on the outer edges of my front tires after mine was lifted due to castor being out of spec. Correction bushings fixed it.
    aaron

10. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Possible agressive cornering along with under-inflated tires.

11. AZcruiser

AZcruiser

In October, I am rebuilding the knuckles and replacing the wheel bearing at the same time. I will check out the tie rod, too. Also thinking, OME should correct alot of suspension slop issues relating to tires.
    thanks,
    Chris
    94LC