tire wear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. had new BFGs ATs installed yesterday(BTW. thanks for the input last week). The old LTXs had unusual wear on the fronts. The outer part of the tread, where it rounds over was bald; the inner and crown had good tread on it. Is this normal wear?...didnt think so. This makes me think I need a good alignment job, but have had some problems getting it close to correct, even a Toyota service dept. gave me a line of bull, said LC always stray and cant be zeroed in.
Any ideas??
Chris

Chris,

That is not normal tyre wear.

As far as an alignment shop knows, there is only one adjustment on the solid axle 80's and that is the toe in adjustment. Out of spec camber means you have a bent axle. We know that out of spec caster can be "adjusted" with mods like the OME bushings. (fixed adjustment only)

If your toe-in is off you could be wearing the sides of your tyres. From the sounds of it you may have something down there that is bent. That sounds like a lot of wear for the sides to be bald and the tread surface to be normal.

-B-

Hopefully its nothing bent. The rig was owned by a soccer mom so not too much abuse. If it is a bent axle, approx cost and procedure?? I am scheduled to rebuild the knuckles 1-2 weeks in October. Something to check then if the alignment dosent correct it?

Thanks
Chris

It would take a *lot* to bend an axle. Tie rod, maybe.
-B-

The old LTXs had unusual wear on the fronts. The outer part of the tread, where it rounds over was bald; the inner and crown had good tread on it. Is this normal wear?...didnt think so.
AZ
You said it was a soccer mom who had it before you . She may have been running the tires low (a nicer ride) and also driving it like its sports car getting the "lil" ones to school,soccer,stores and maybe see a dude on the side in between :D.
I take it to a shop (you trust) and have them just check the alignment to see how everything looks after you do the front end svc . Then go from there

jack up the front check your bearings too...man, sounds abnormal for sure.

I will go with Beowulf on the tie rod possibility, it could be loose and you need a new one.

My $0.02

Al

Does your truck have stock suspension? I noticed increased wear on the outer edges of my front tires after mine was lifted due to castor being out of spec. Correction bushings fixed it.
aaron

Possible agressive cornering along with under-inflated tires.

In October, I am rebuilding the knuckles and replacing the wheel bearing at the same time. I will check out the tie rod, too. Also thinking, OME should correct alot of suspension slop issues relating to tires.
thanks,
Chris
94LC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom