Seeking Spare Tire Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You’ve got a point, but I have a trick that’s needed for an ol’ fart like me. I DON’T try to lift from the ground up to the carrier in one move. I grab the center hole on the wheel, squatting to save my back and using my legs, flop the edge of the tire on my bumper. The Tire/wheel is horizontal at this point. Then push tire/wheel up to vertical, still resting on bumper next to latched swingarm. Then it’s easier to muscle it over and on to the swing arm. I was questioning my sanity when I moved up to 315’s first time I put the spare on. :rolleyes: I know this sounds like a real negative for a swingarm, but it is what it is. If anyone comes up with an easier way, I’m all ears 👂
Yeah I know a few people who have upgraded to 35s and 37s without considering the 80-120lbs they'd need to be able to move. That method sounds solid.

My favorite method is to stand perpendicular to the tire carrier with the tire on the ground, facing the carrier mount. Bend over as if you're doing a bent over row and pull/roll the tire up your leg til it's resting on your thigh. Then it's just about at swingout level and you can get a hand underneath to push it up and rest it on the ledge where the hub sits. The you just have to get it on the studs.

Hard to explain, I might need to take a pic

To the OP, I'd say advice is to keep it underneath...make sure that your lowering mechanism is in good shape and clean up the spare every so often if you are in an area with winter chemicals. I sold a spare wheel to a friend to replace his as it was ruined from salt and never cleaning it up over the years. If you haven't had and clearance issues since the upgraded suspension and tire size, I wouldn't go any further or worry about sliders unless you'd like the step function (I LOVE my WKOR's!). That said, if you are considering a lower cost swing out option, I have the GGM winch mount plate, and think that his swing arm would be a solid lower cost choice with the OEM bumper.

My rig came with the LRA secondary fuel tank installed plus a swing out on the upgraded rear bumper...my options included keeping it on the swing arm, mounting inside, or just running with a plug kit (I have on board air with my rear locker). Locally, I'm fine with the "no spare" option as I'm usually within a couple of miles from home and unless I get a slice, I can get home. Now off road trips, no way would I travel without a functional spare! I'm really happy with the BellFab interior mount as I loathed opening and closing the swing arm/s (jerry can holder too) each time I wanted to access the rear, which seemed to be every time I drive the truck.

You'll just need to weigh the options to decide what is best for you. :beer:

Oh yeah, on the added weight to lift...I had an eye opener when I went from the 285's to my 315's when lifting up to put on the swing out (having to align on the studs)...still just as heavy to get in the back of the truck for the interior carrier, but doesn't need to be as precise on the lift. With the BellFab interior mount, you just roll it up to the carrier and install the center holder (no additional lifting needed once in the truck). Now just don't reveal this thread to my spine surgeon that I have a TeleMed call with today to discuss my new MRI scan for my disintegrating lower disk problems....:oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom