Bellfab Interior Tire Carrier (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Right on! The attic definitely utilizes some unused space up there. Great for things you want to keep in the truck but not have all over the place. Extra blankets/ jackets and other soft good are definitely good to stuff up there.
The trail TP has a permanent home on my attic rack. 👍

Ordered the v1 carrier. The Black Friday deal was too good to pass up. 👍

I'd buy a reinforcement bar that ties into the wall to eliminate side to side movement, if you made one... Otherwise, I am going to be forced to hack together something. I'm getting a lot more movement than I want on rough trails.

I'd buy a reinforcement bar that ties into the wall to eliminate side to side movement, if you made one... Otherwise, I am going to be forced to hack together something. I'm getting a lot more movement than I want on rough trails.
That’s interesting, what size tire?

35" Cooper Discovery STT Pro on a 4Runner steel rim.

35" Cooper Discovery STT Pro on a 4Runner steel rim.
That’s very interesting. I haven’t personally seen my 40” move much at all or heard of much movement from anyone. Sorry to hear that. you must be getting after it pretty hard! Haha

No plans for any type of brace as we are moving to the new generation soon.

That’s very interesting. I haven’t personally seen my 40” move much at all or heard of much movement from anyone. Sorry to hear that. you must be getting after it pretty hard! Haha

No plans for any type of brace as we are moving to the new generation soon.
So I think I understand why I am seeing side to side movement and associated noises and you (@Bellfab and possibly others) are not.

I don't have factory carpets and padding, I have bare floors, no sound deadening and trufit vinyl floors. So... with a 35" tire and the support rod plate at the lowest possible position, the tire is still off the floor by fractions of an inch. I don't have the bottom of the tire pushing against the floor creating additional points of contact to resist sideways movement - all three bolted down supports are roughly in line parallel with the direction of travel.

Now this would be ideally solved by having a revised version of the mounting plate that allows my 35" tire to touch the floor.

As a bandaid, I put a plastic spacer plate underneath and a lateral spar to the side wall. Not elegant, but we do what we have to. It stopped the movement and noises.

I'd be more than happy to try a new mounting plate that would allow my tire to rest on the floor. :) Let me know.

So I think I understand why I am seeing side to side movement and associated noises and you (@Bellfab and possibly others) are not.

I don't have factory carpets and padding, I have bare floors, no sound deadening and trufit vinyl floors. So... with a 35" tire and the support rod plate at the lowest possible position, the tire is still off the floor by fractions of an inch. I don't have the bottom of the tire pushing against the floor creating additional points of contact to resist sideways movement - all three bolted down supports are roughly in line parallel with the direction of travel.

Now this would be ideally solved by having a revised version of the mounting plate that allows my 35" tire to touch the floor.

As a bandaid, I put a plastic spacer plate underneath and a lateral spar to the side wall. Not elegant, but we do what we have to. It stopped the movement and noises.

I'd be more than happy to try a new mounting plate that would allow my tire to rest on the floor. :) Let me know.

I bet the inside of your truck is super loud.....

I bet the inside of your truck is super loud.....
Louder than a stock 80 for sure, but it is primarily used as an offroad vehicle, so I can live with that.

Also, I have a layer of Ballistic Hollow Point adhesive sound deadening mat (same idea as Dynamat), and then a layer of DynaPad under the floor of the first and second rows. I just didn't bother with the second row seating area and cargo area. It would be easy enough to do those areas too, if I change my mind.

The heat shield/sound deadening stuff is quite dense and heavy, and my strategy for the 80 is all about keeping it light, so I compromised on where I put it.

I also removed second and third row seats, cargo area plastic trim panels, and replaced the door cards with ABS cards from Australian Door Cards.

I have a fully built 200 if I want to go heavy and silent. :)

My cargo area is completely bare as well (involuntarily - previous owner did this) so we’ll see how mine does, although my 37” spare is the one that will be living back there.
IMHO, I think you're going to be fine, since with a 37" tire you will be making contact with the floor. You may not even find yourself at the lowest extent of the adjustment range.

Ah yeah that makes sense. Unfortunately that is the lowest it can adjust since there is that cross bar preventing it from going lower. Although it’s another bandaid you may be able to just put a small piece of rubber or something under the tire to take up that space.

Ah yeah that makes sense. Unfortunately that is the lowest it can adjust since there is that cross bar preventing it from going lower. Although it’s another bandaid you may be able to just put a small piece of rubber or something under the tire to take up that space.
Yep, I put a plastic spacer plate (umhw or something I had kicking around the shop) and it serves the purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom