Time for a V8 or not? HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
alright guys.. i've scoped out these threads for a while but never posted one. Ha guess you could say first time poster long time reader. Anyways its that time.. i've got a 1/73 fj40 with the original F engine and a rebuilt 3 speed trans and transfer. All stock.. the F engine is goin out on me and its time to start thinkin about ideas on what to do. Im lookin for as much feed back as i can get about this. A lot of 2 cents adds up in the long run.

What i've been thinking about:

1. Swap out F engine to a chevy 350 and using adapter to keep stock trans and transfer case for now. I pretty much just have the money for a new 350 right now and would later on change over the trans. This is the first Fj40 i have ever owned or anyone in my family has owned, little nervous about doing the swap out on something im totally new to. So i wouldn't exactly know what it all entails. I've been reading the threads on here and have been scopin out Spector and Man-A-Fre. Kind of just been doing my own research. I know i'd need new motor mounts welded on, the trans/tranfercase bracket welded on, the bell housing adapter, new radiator, maybe shorten the drive shafts, throttle linkage, find a way to use stock Fj40 gauges, but other then that i don't really know? So im a little lost/nervous about getting into that. :confused:

2. Stopped by Man-A-Fre out here in cali and talked to one of the guys. Thought about going with their 2F high performance engine.. only problem is the long block would cost me about $5K.. :bang: i'd still have to buy headers, carb, hoses etc after that...Compared to a turn key ready chevy 350 that i could find brand new for about $2500 or around there. So im not sure if its worth stayin straight 6 or goin to the V8.

3. Find a used 2F motor thats been serviced and drop that in. If i can find a block cheap enough maybe have the 2F rebuilt...

Im sure you guys get new guys like me out there all the time askin the same stuff. Anyways... Just lookin for as much feed back as i can get. Anything would help.

Thanks!
-Chris

i've got a 1/73 fj40 with the original F engine and a rebuilt 3 speed trans and transfer. All stock.. the F engine is goin out on me..

Welcome.

Please elaborate on the above....

The question to ask yourself is "What do I want the vehicle to be?" You said it was all stock - do you want to keep it that way? Then go for an F or 2F. Is it planned to be a trail rig? If so, you should think about the V8 and what that entails. Personally, just me, I'm a purist - I'd keep it stock and go for an F or 2F.

There's probably a lot of good info in the FAQ.

I like keeping things stock or close to stock. I'd consider rebuilding the F you have or, if that's too far gone, look for another F or 2F. They're great engines and, if well maintained, will run for years and years. (Consider that you have a 35 year old engine that is just now needing to be replaced or rebuilt.)

Good luck!

And the debate heats up!

I had the same quandry. I currently own a 74 FJ40 with a good "F.5" with no issues that will remain stock. BUT I purchased a 1973 FJ55 with no engine in it that I have debated every which way sort of like you are. I couldn't get past the fact that I LOVE V-8's. No matter which way I looked at this I kept coming back to the V-8. With that said I have just dived in my project. I have a V-8 ready to be pulled from the donor, motor mounts, rear crossmember, clutch, PPlate, TOB on the way. Just to go past the point of no return the front motor mounts are GONE as of yesterday. I'm no expert at this either but you just have to get to the point of making a decision and diving in. I have found that there is enough expertise on this board to basically help you through most stuff. Just my 2cents worth!
Also, welcome :flipoff2:

Welcome! :flipoff2:

The question to ask yourself is "What do I want the vehicle to be?" You said it was all stock - do you want to keep it that way?

x2! Also x2 to what Power said. If you would otherwise just rather fix the F that's in it, then there's more than likely more help than you think. Check out CruisinMT's thread about his F rebuild. And chances are that it wouldn't actually need a full rebuild--but even if it did, then it's not near as hard as you might think.

Another option would be a diesel. I'd personally prefer a 12HT or 1HZ or somesuch to a V8, but that's just me... And if it's as original as you say it is....

Pictures! Pictures!!!

Dan

You don't know the power of the Dark Side! You have the FJ40, now release your wallet!

If you're going to spend the time and money to convert to a V-8, and you want to run Toyota running gear, I suggest you look into the Aussie 5-speed so you can have an overdrive. I wish I had an Aussie 5-speed. It's possible to retain the original transfer case, which has a slightly lower low range than the one that normally comes with the 4-speed.

As for the V-8, with the right carb (or fuel injection) it can lug down almost as good as the six banger. With the wrong carb, low end (and fuel economy) is crap. A Rochester QuadraJet is your friend. A Holley is not. BTDT. I really enjoy the extra power when I've got four adults on board with lots of camping gear going up 6.5% mountain grades. The V-8 really shines there.

Drop $10 (or whatever it is now) on the Advance Adapters conversion book for the Landcruiser. It has a lot of great info on engine/transmission/transfer case combinations.

if you want stock keep the original. (the stock originals seem to appreciate). if you want fun, go v8 but expect that cost of your cheap 2500$ 350 to triple by the time youve got everything done. IE. exhaust, engine mount, wiring, on and on and on and ... you get the idea. and then just try to sell it for what it cost you. hmmm. the V8 is FREAKING AWESOME i dont miss my 2f at all. you should try to install some kinda hydrogen burner cuz gas is stoopid. maybe cold fussion.

Three speed marginal at best... do it once only

I swapped in a 300hp 350 chev apx. 12 years ago.

From what I've read the 3 speed isn't strong enough... Although I've heard that you can get away with swapping the front and rear driveshafts if you keep the three speed. Saving a few $$$s on driveshaft modifications.

The most economical way to do the swap in the long run is to do it only once. If you are tight for money find a decent running f or 2f and save your money. My f had been abused for many years (no air filter or housing) and it still lasted for 185,000 miles.

If you decide to do a swap pick your ideal transmission ie. 4speed Toyota, Sm465(?) Chevy 4 speed, or NV 4500 Chevy/Dodge+? 5 speed (both bull low and overdrive). Doing a swap with your 3 speed and later swapping your trans will only empty your wallet even more.

Throttle linkage can easily be fabricated using Bike brake cables.
Custom exhaust will likely cost $500+
Shortening two front drive-shafts is cheaper than having a rear driveshaft lengthened.
With a stock Toyota 4 speed the driveshafts can be the same length depending on engine positioning (my rear ended up being 1" longer than front)
Stock chevy 11" low-diaphragm clutch works (with 4 speed Toy) ie early 70s chevy van clutch
Use Later Toy Throw out bering and fork (ie 2f)
Stock Radiators can be used fine if in good shape.
Fuel injected or Quadrajet is the way to go.

Advance Adaptor's conversion manual is excellent... although it over-complicates thing somewhat.

Shortened Rear axle

An alternate option would be to swap in a center diff rear axle and use chevy engine, trans, transfercase. No special adaptors just some custom driveshafts and perhaps a variable brake proportioning valve if you swap in different rear brakes.

Rear disc brakes can be excellent. Front disc brakes are a must though (easy to swap in from newer Toyota)

I had the same issue, f went south on my 73' ,put a 2f/4 speed and case in out of a 78' (125-129 comp. range) And the 40 is a BLAST to drive! I mean like 55mph up 3-4% grades with 34's and stock 4:10's at 7500' !!!!! Decent mpg (15ish) and WAY better than a v8 swap as far as originality and 2F whine. If this truck had a valve adj. and 4:88's it would be insane strong for a 2F. Keep it toyota if possible, there is no reason for a V8 swap when you can make a far better toyota power plant run this strong IMHO. I think 2f's get a bad rap power-wise because there are so many in disrepair out there, drive a strong one and you will be impressed.

Down time. How much Down time will you have? V8 swap will take longer. Do you have space to tare down, and build? Can you weld confidently enough to weld in motor mounts that will not crack? (or have the gear or access to weld gear.)

The v8 will cost in the long run, if you upgrade your trans. Not sure doing the v8 swap before you have all the final driveline parts is a good way to go as said above.

All that said, I like my V8:D

Yeah, my .02 is to keep it Toyota with either the rebuilt f or a 2f. Personally I feel like the FJ isn't a Toyota once you put a V-8 in it. Not saying it wouldn't be awesome to blast around in one, it's just that at the end of the day it's just a chopped up FJ. Further, I would ideally rebuild the f to keep it totally original, besides, it wouldn't be that hard for you to remove the engine yourself, disassemble it, and bring to the various machine shops for the work and save some good money that you can spend elsewhere.....on the 40....:p

Eddings Engine Rebuilders does MAFs 2F rebuilds. About $2000 cheaper for the same thing. Of course you'll need to get all the acessories and forget finding a decent carb that can be rebuilt. I went that way, love the power of the new 2F, the 4-speed is great. However you will want to junk the carb and go with EFI from Turbo city. Includes everything but an air cleaner (Downey sells one or you can get an adapter from MAF and use the stock air cleaner from the 2F).

I'm currently installing the EFI setup.

Oh and whatever way you go, budget the money and then double it. And then forget about all that money could go as a nice down payment on an FJ Cruiser.

alright guys.. i've scoped out these threads for a while but never posted one. Ha guess you could say first time poster long time reader. Anyways its that time.. i've got a 1/73 fj40 with the original F engine and a rebuilt 3 speed trans and transfer. All stock.. the F engine is goin out on me and its time to start thinkin about ideas on what to do. Im lookin for as much feed back as i can get about this. A lot of 2 cents adds up in the long run.

What i've been thinking about:

1. Swap out F engine to a chevy 350 and using adapter to keep stock trans and transfer case for now. I pretty much just have the money for a new 350 right now and would later on change over the trans. This is the first Fj40 i have ever owned or anyone in my family has owned, little nervous about doing the swap out on something im totally new to. So i wouldn't exactly know what it all entails. I've been reading the threads on here and have been scopin out Spector and Man-A-Fre. Kind of just been doing my own research. I know i'd need new motor mounts welded on, the trans/tranfercase bracket welded on, the bell housing adapter, new radiator, maybe shorten the drive shafts, throttle linkage, find a way to use stock Fj40 gauges, but other then that i don't really know? So im a little lost/nervous about getting into that. :confused:

2. Stopped by Man-A-Fre out here in cali and talked to one of the guys. Thought about going with their 2F high performance engine.. only problem is the long block would cost me about $5K.. :bang: i'd still have to buy headers, carb, hoses etc after that...Compared to a turn key ready chevy 350 that i could find brand new for about $2500 or around there. So im not sure if its worth stayin straight 6 or goin to the V8.

3. Find a used 2F motor thats been serviced and drop that in. If i can find a block cheap enough maybe have the 2F rebuilt...

Im sure you guys get new guys like me out there all the time askin the same stuff. Anyways... Just lookin for as much feed back as i can get. Anything would help.

Thanks!
-Chris

How about getting the F rebuilt, retain some value and deal with a lot less time and effort. Unless you just have to drive over 65, have to have 35" or larger tires and want even worse MPG I wouldn't recommend a v-8.

Oh and a couple other things:

I had new driveshafts made. Dual Cardan in the rear.

The clutch slave / fork assy is on the wrong side.

I added headers and a Mean Green starter.:grinpimp:

If you can find a junker 2F for parts (fan, intake, brackets, all those little things) it will help a lot. Especially to see how it all goes back together.

The fan shroud on the 73 will not work with the stock 2F fan. Consider electric.

Get a DUI distributor. It's 98374598237459823749082375 times easier to set up. Works better too and no points. If you are going to go EFI get the EFI dizzy from DUI as it has the mechanical advance disabled, vacuum is blocked off, and a magnet is added (all needed for GM TBI ignition and the ECU).

If you are going EFI leave the throttle linkage alone you may be able to use it. 73s had cable throttle linkage. AFAIK all 2F 40s used rod linkage.

Drop $10 (or whatever it is now) on the Advance Adapters conversion book for the Landcruiser. It has a lot of great info on engine/transmission/transfer case combinations.

OR save the 10 bucks and get the free Downey instruction book. Reason; because it has so much information in it that it might just make up your mind for you. It basically explains the work load involved, and can also give you a good idea of cost involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom