Builds The "Red Rocket" Troopy (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Late to the subscription but it's activated.

Love it!

Beach = Car Wash PRONTO

Late to the subscription but it's activated.

Love it!

Beach = Car Wash PRONTO
Oh don't worry, everytime I go out on the beach I always wash every nook and cranny underneath as soon as I get home. Unless it's like 12am and then I do it in the morning. Thanks for the advice though!

Got new caliper and pads for preparation of the cross country trip. Swapped them out, bled the brakes afterwards, bled them again, and again, and one more time... absolutely no air is coming out of the lines but my brake pedal has no pressure whatsoever like it’s totally full with air. No clue what’s happening and we replaced the master cylinder about a month ago so I’m really clueless. If anyone has any advice it’s appreciated!

30AA854A-F78F-4FCA-BA88-F8533C926D42.jpeg

Also got fittings, brackets, and metal rails for a roof rack that we were gonna put together today but the brake pressure issue decided otherwise... oh well there’s always tomorrow.

46CAC7B7-DB52-4D62-A51D-DC87FDE4DB16.jpeg

EB63676D-542D-4ED9-9F20-0D28E61A3598.jpeg

Well, the good news is we got the brakes braking again and the roof rack installed so of course, I had to take it out on the beach. The bad news is the cross country road trip has been delayed for next summer due to COVID, we don't want to put ourselves or others at risk as well as the very likely possibility that we get out to Arches, Canyonlands, (insert any other national park), and they are closed, due to covid. It's a shame but there's always next year. Anyways now onto the eye candy with the roof rack...

EDS_0648.jpg

EDS_0645.jpg

EDS_0634-2.jpg

EDS_0627.jpg

unlike OME who I believe source them from somewhere else. (Don't quote me on that)

Nice Troopy!

Sorry to quote you on this but in light of how many shocks OME produces, I'm sure that they do make their own. Dobinson makes a fraction of what OME does wrt shocks, so if anything, Dobinson probably outsources more of what they sell than OME does.

Nice Troopy!

Sorry to quote you on this but in light of how many shocks OME produces, I'm sure that they do make their own. Dobinson makes a fraction of what OME does wrt shocks, so if anything, Dobinson probably outsources more of what they sell than OME does.
Thank youuu! I absolutely love the Troopy too. And haha I’m glad I added the “don’t quote me on that”, didn’t mean to talk bad on OME I had just heard that before from multiple people. However when talking to the Dobinsons rep he did say that they produce and manufacture their own shocks for each and every vehicle. In the end aslong as the suspension preforms the way it promised it could, it’s good in my book.

Nice Troopy!

OME shocks are(were?) made by Monroe to OME/ARB standards. Thats your standard nitrocharger shocks. I believe they are made IN australia in a Monroe plant from all info I have found.
As for the high end ARB BP51 bypass shocks, they say designed/made in house.

Tenneco owns Monroe since 1977.

As for Dobinsons, I don't know if they are made in house or outsourced to like Monroe/Gabriel. Their website and history says they have always been manufacturing and building shocks/suspensions.

They say this:
As Dobinsons Spring and Suspension have been manufacturing the highest quality springs and suspension components for over 60 years, they are no strangers to state of the art manufacturing processes. Dobinsons 4×4 shock absorbers are manufactured using the latest technology and are manufactured to TS16949 International Quality Assurance Systems. This includes double re-enforced robotic welding, friction welding, CNC Machined components and drop forging of high stress mounting components.

Then state specifically about In House Dyno shock testing and In House Durability testing. SO, whether that means they outsource shocks have them built to their specs then IN HOUSE test them, or it's just bad wording on the website and they do design/manufacture/test all in house.

Last edited:
Got new caliper and pads for preparation of the cross country trip. Swapped them out, bled the brakes afterwards, bled them again, and again, and one more time... absolutely no air is coming out of the lines but my brake pedal has no pressure whatsoever like it’s totally full with air. No clue what’s happening and we replaced the master cylinder about a month ago so I’m really clueless. If anyone has any advice it’s appreciated!

View attachment 2346078

Consider starting the bleeding process from scratch as if you are installing a new system. I would bench bleed master, then follow bleeding from the furthest out to the nearest wheel to the master. I would lift the rear to bleed the rear. Tap the brake lines to free trapped bubbles so the travel uphill to the rear wheel cylinders and out. No need to lift the front as bubbles will travel up to the master/ reservoir. Use a Mittyvac tool to bleed so that you don’t have to pump. Do you have 2 reservoir master or single?

Last edited:
OME shocks are(were?) made by Monroe to OME/ARB standards. Thats your standard nitrocharger shocks. I believe they are made IN australia in a Monroe plant from all info I have found.
As for the high end ARB BP51 bypass shocks, they say designed/made in house.

Tenneco owns Monroe since 1977.

As for Dobinsons, I don't know if they are made in house or outsourced to like Monroe/Gabriel. Their website and history says they have always been manufacturing and building shocks/suspensions.

They say this:
As Dobinsons Spring and Suspension have been manufacturing the highest quality springs and suspension components for over 60 years, they are no strangers to state of the art manufacturing processes. Dobinsons 4×4 shock absorbers are manufactured using the latest technology and are manufactured to TS16949 International Quality Assurance Systems. This includes double re-enforced robotic welding, friction welding, CNC Machined components and drop forging of high stress mounting components.

Then state specifically about In House Dyno shock testing and In House Durability testing. SO, whether that means they outsource shocks have them built to their specs then IN HOUSE test them, or it's just bad wording on the website and they do design/manufacture/test all in house.
Yea that's exactly what I have heard before!

Consider starting the bleeding process from scratch as if you are installing a new system. I would bench bleed master, then follow bleeding from the furthest out to the nearest wheel to the master. I would lift the rear to bleed the rear. Tap the brake lines to free trapped bubbles so the travel uphill to the rear wheel cylinders and out. No need to lift the front as bubbles will travel up to the master/ reservoir. Use a Mittyvac tool to bleed so that you don’t have to pump. Do you have 2 reservoir master or single?
Awesome! Thank you for the advice, however, the problem was we had flipped what brake caliper was supposed to be on each side without realizing, so the bleed screw was at the bottom instead of the top 😑. After finding that out, the brake pedal miraculously gained pressure again! Who would have thought

I love how different your Troopy looks in that red paint. The rack and surfboard is a nice touch.
Thank you! It definitely stands out in the sea of white Highlanders and black Cherokees during rush hour and is very easy to find in the parking lot. However, without power steering, the whole parking thing can be a bit difficult lol.

Awesome! Thank you for the advice, however, the problem was we had flipped what brake caliper was supposed to be on each side without realizing, so the bleed screw was at the bottom instead of the top 😑. After finding that out, the brake pedal miraculously gained pressure again! Who would have thought

That would do it too. Hard for bubbles to flow downhill.

Glad you figured out the brake thing--I couldn't figure what it could be. Wouldn't have ever guessed it was what you discovered.

Power steering bits sometimes show up in the classifieds, as do guys parting out trucks that have what you'd need to add it to your truck. I happen to know of a recently sold truck very similar to yours that might be getting parted out and it has power steering. PM me and I'll let you know who got it if you want to inquire.

Did you and your dad ever figure out the taillight swap?

P.S. I love that you've kept the "Jihadi Edition" graphics. I always loved those. 👍

I don't have much to add in terms of tech to this thread but I really do like the character of this troopy.

Got the spare tire, a Jerry can, and then surfboard all up on the roof rack now. Soooo here’s some pics. Expect more after the 4th of July haha
7692DF0E-3032-4089-A332-6A80F510A4D2.jpeg

8D61935B-3131-41DE-A5EC-215967757435.jpeg

577F5ACD-340E-4BC1-8EBD-A5E44CFB6AE1.jpeg

D54FE7B4-5D8D-4B3A-91B9-2E2052FAEB02.jpeg

Took the Troopy out with a bunch of my friends for the 4th, so naturally, I took some photos. Even with 9 people, a grill, table, coolers, etc, and some pretty soft sand the 3B didn't let me down and pulled right through everything. Absolute beast. My friend and I are gonna drive up to the Outer Banks so hopefully, I'll get some great scenic photos with the Troopy. Also found out my 0-60 time, a blazing 1 minute 22 seconds.

EDS_0104-2.jpg

EDS_0255.jpg

EDS_0193 (2).jpg

EDS_0115 (1).jpg

EDS_0365 (1).jpg

We were doing the same as a kid on that same beach but with a 76 Scout with no floorboards. Looks like a good time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom