70 Series military use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
UK special forces pictured on the ground in Syria

The BBC has obtained exclusive pictures showing for the first time British special forces operating on the ground in Syria.

It is the vehicles that first stand out. The open air, Thalab long range patrol vehicles are built for harsh terrain and are favoured by special forces.

In this case it is British special forces, seen for the first time on the ground, inside Syria, in photographs obtained by the BBC.​

Al-Thalab Long-Range Patrol Vehicle

_90717375_syria_special_1.jpg

It's also interesting to see them spec the BFG A/T (vs. say the more truck-like 7.5 tire on the two-piece wheel.)

The 70 Series has been in battle for decades, but it's usually just a gun mount to the frame in the pickup bed. It'll be interesting to see if these Jankel-style builds prove their worth in battle.

NcQgtjJ.png

APV's site describes one of the advantages of the 79 platform as one that 'reduces logistic requirements and allows for direct access to the global Toyota support networks available on every continent'. Nice to see that, it's one of the reason i got a 7x too.

"every continent"......not quite.....:bang:

I would SOOOOOO buy one of these in about three seconds........

import-export-toyota-land-cruiser-pick-1715-374241.jpg

Looks like the British realize that when you absolutely positively cannot have a mechanical failure, you use a Land Cruiser, not a Land Rover.

Australia dumped the Landrover a few years back, coincidentally at the same time LR became Indian owned.And I guess now the Brits are not longer showing solidarity with LR either.
The Australian army may look at toyota occasionally but they are bound to a large order of these and their variants for the next few decades.

CA17_image-9-8060.jpg

I've hauled plenty around Afghanistan. The one we'd drive around was nicknamed the "Dung Beetle"

This was his father, Flog Beetle

000_0144.JPG

Coalition forces have been using 70’s for a long time it’s just been data masked until recently.

Its seems like the govt goes out and buys what they want but then the military uses Landcruisers when the situation is hot. The Australian Army had the best of the Landrovers but they had to be very heavily modified with Isuzu diesels ,chassis strengthening and beefier suspension and thats just the 4 wheel versions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom