LHD HZJ73 aftermarket ac kit installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joekatana

GOLD Star
Threads
It has taken me a long time but I finally installed one of the aftermarket ac kits that I have been importing for some time now .Having been around cruisers and mainly diesel version 40/61/70 series I think it is safe to say that no 2 cruisers are exactly the same and toyota changes details on them on what looks like a daily basis so some details might be different on your install.

I installed this on a 1990 HZJ73 that will soon be going to a well respected Mud member , this cruiser was sold originally in the Netherlands and came with no rear seat mounts and the FRP top without windows specific for that market.

The complete installation of the kit took me around 2 and a half hours and the kit comes with a real nice instruction manual in 4 languages , the manual has a template to drill in the firewall for passing the lines but this one already had those holes from the factory and I just had to remove the rubber plug .

Condensor box fits nicely under the dash and most people wouldnt even know that this is a aftermarket unit rather then oem
ac kit1.jpg
ackit3.jpg
ackit6.jpg
ac kit.jpg

Last edited:
After this was done I started on bolting up the bracket that holds the compressor and I did had to grind a bit off one off the spacers to get all the mounting holes to line up perfectly , pretty simple to see once you hold it next to the engine, after the bracket was installed I bolted the compressor on to it and started laying the lines out and put the condensor in front of the radiator and drilled a hole in the radiator support to have easier acces to bolt it to the condensor , this is not mentioned in the manual as at the time the manual was made in the 90's some parts where slightly different and no longer available and the new parts where never included in the manual . The on off switch is a different model then what was used back in the day also so using logic is preffered instead of following the supplied outdated schematic.

BTW radiator does not need to be removed for this but I was changing out the timing belt and water pump at the same time on this one .

After I hooked everything up I drove it to the nearest shop to vacuum and charge the system and it works flawless , just as a guide line my local shop charged me 95$ for the 790 gram of R134 and the additional oil that they added to the system.

Looking forward to get more of these kits in and install a kit in one of my own 73's
ackit5.jpg
ackit7.jpg
ackit9.jpg
ackit8.jpg

Thanks for the info, I think you are the first to report back on the install
I have gotten a lot of questions about the install so really wanted to do this for a while now . Definetely a home diy install within everyone's capabilities

2.5 hours! I’m amazed! I looked briefly at the instructions, and decided I should farm it out to the pros. Maybe I’ll look through it again. I’m still going to assume it will take me days, compared to your light afternoon. But it would be cool to do it myself. Thanks for the write up!

also, did I recently see that you’ve not got bj73 kits too, or did I misread something?

2.5 hours! I’m amazed! I looked briefly at the instructions, and decided I should farm it out to the pros. Maybe I’ll look through it again. I’m still going to assume it will take me days, compared to your light afternoon. But it would be cool to do it myself. Thanks for the write up!

also, did I recently see that you’ve not got bj73 kits too, or did I misread something?
I can order 3B kits for the lhd 70 series , they require a custom pulley and my supplier already told me that the ones he still has in inventory will be the last ones available, not planning on doing another batch of those so 3B people don’t miss out on these !

@theglobb, 3B AC Kits for LHD... might want to get yourself a graduation present.
how much do they go for? I've never had a car with A/C so I'm used to it and it's not as big of a priority for me. It would just solve the issue of my passengers nonstop complaining in the summer haha. Still though if the price is right I'd definitely be interested

how much do they go for? I've never had a car with A/C so I'm used to it and it's not as big of a priority for me. It would just solve the issue of my passengers nonstop complaining in the summer haha. Still though if the price is right I'd definitely be interested
Send Joe a PM for costs. I'm with you, A/C isn't much a priority for me, but on long road trips and rainy days it sure is nice. Not having the wind blasting in my ear all day long at highway speeds really cuts down on the fatigue. Too much time on ships at sea has made my ears pretty sensitive, so that is probably just a personal thing. I have one of the kits he brought in for the 1Hz and was planning to have installed it by now, but other priorities have moved to forefront. I totally understand the balance of wants, needs, and spending money on the more important fun stuff- like a cross country trip.

The kits are 2500$ and in a troopy you can open those sliding windows and get some kind of draft going but on long trips or even short trips after it has been sitting in the sun being hot inside out that ac is a blessing.

I appreciate the professionalism of not just this installation but the entire process. It was a pleasure from our initial conversation to delivery. Very much appreciated!

I appreciate the professionalism of not just this installation but the entire process. It was a pleasure from our initial conversation to delivery. Very much appreciated!
Thank you for the kind words Todd , I hope this cruiser is everything you wished for and more and that it serves you and your family well.

Thanks for the report, the one I bought is still in the box due to other projects. I hope to get it in this summer. I did look at the instructions and components and they looked to be high quality.

The kits are 2500$ and in a troopy you can open those sliding windows and get some kind of draft going but on long trips or even short trips after it has been sitting in the sun being hot inside out that ac is a blessing.

Damn it! Everytime something becomes available for my BJ70 its always in short supply lol

Hi,
Is there a separate cooling temperature control in this A/C kit (like in OEM)? I can see there is the main A/C switch on one of the pictures. Does it mean that when it's on it always works with full power and you can control the temperature only by means of fan speed and/or hot/cold air mix lever/slider?

Hi,
Is there a separate cooling temperature control in this A/C kit (like in OEM)? I can see there is the main A/C switch on one of the pictures. Does it mean that when it's on it always works with full power and you can control the temperature only by means of fan speed and/or hot/cold air mix lever/slider?
You mix the temp by adding warm air to the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom