The pintle hook thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read through some of the pintle hook threads. We have a few M880's with pintles and was going to use one of these. However, these have a huge bolt in the center in addition to the four standard bolts. So now I am looking to get one to put on the 80.

A few things;

Which pintle hook brand do you guys prefer? Ease of use and strength/quality as far as clasp/pin and hook?

Any made in USA?

Not interested in the pintle hitch at all (ball), just the hook type.

Also, I notice the top two bolt holes are threaded and the bottom looks to be just open. (have not crawled under neath to look) Do the bottom bolt attache with nuts on the back? I read where the size is M12 - 1.25 for the threaded ones.

Thanks.

Kevin

Last edited:
Well I used what I think you said you weren't interested in. Not sure why you wouldn't want the flexibility. Anyway, top two holes are M12 x 1.25 and are threaded. Bottom holes will fit any M12 bolt. I used galvanized eye hooks in the bottom with heavy hex nuts on the backside. I also used long enough bolts on top to put a washer and nut on the backside.
Holland pintle hitch.jpg
Hitch 001.jpg

Good idea on the eye bolts if your gonna tow a trailer. I used the hook only one from Ebay, was like 30-40 bucks IIRC. Works great...I ony use it for a quick and easy rear tow point...only thing towing trailers at my house is the Cummins. :D

I was refering to the ones with the seperate ball that bolts on. Weak point to break with a tow strap which is mainly what I was going to use it for. That and maybe towing an army trailer. The one piece hook with the ball is a nice option that I had not seen before. Thanks for posting, I did not know they made them like that.

I would tow a boat with the other hitch and ball mount. A little more weight than I want to tow with the pintle ball even though the rating for that point is quite impressive over seas.

Would the eye bolts get in the way of a trailer with pintle hook?

I have an 8 ton Reese combo pintle hook/ball hitch. Made elsewhere, but it's worked just fine.

Sounds like you're familiar with military spec gear. On many military pintles, there is something called a "chain plate" that is sandwiched between the bumper and hitch that provides a slick way to deal with safety chain hook-up. They're pretty cheap and much better than an eye hook in strength most likely.

I've heard that the ones with a cast, rather than bolted ball, are stronger and have a little less clunk on the trail, but haven't felt that the current pintle is inadequate.

If you want the highest quality pintle, you can't go wrong with Holland. They make fifth wheels and other heavy truck/trailer hitches. Where I used to work, their fifth wheels were the only thing we spec-ed on new equipment. My boss was cheap:rolleyes:, but he didn't take any chances with hitches.

I was refering to the ones with the seperate ball that bolts on. Weak point to break with a tow strap which is mainly what I was going to use it for. That and maybe towing an army trailer. The one piece hook with the ball is a nice option that I had not seen before. Thanks for posting, I did not know they made them like that.

I would tow a boat with the other hitch and ball mount. A little more weight than I want to tow with the pintle ball even though the rating for that point is quite impressive over seas.

Would the eye bolts get in the way of a trailer with pintle hook?

I don't think the eye bolts will interfere.

I don't want to turn this thread into a "pintle capacity" thread as there are very different opinions as to what you can safely tow with one. I know that I've made 3 long trips in the last few months (combination of interstate, back roads and dirt roads, with a 6 x 12 U-Haul tandem axle trailer. It weighs 1900+ lbs empty and I've loaded it with well over 1000 lbs and I haven't felt uncomfortable at all using the pintle. Of course that was my decision and mine alone.

U-Haul: Equipment specs

If you crawl under the rear crossmember you'll see that the top 2 holes are covered witha "flap" of steel. I cut mine out, drilled out all 4 holes to 1/2", added a piece of 3/16" plate to the back and a pintle plate from an H1 HMMV under the pintle. All bolted together with grade 8 hardware.

Very strong and works a dream.

Sounds like you're familiar with military spec gear. On many military pintles, there is something called a "chain plate" that is sandwiched between the bumper and hitch that provides a slick way to deal with safety chain hook-up. They're pretty cheap and much better than an eye hook in strength most likely.

I wanted to go that way but for some reason couldn't find exactly what I needed to work on the 80. Maybe I didn't look hard enough?

I wanted to go that way but for some reason couldn't find exactly what I needed to work on the 80. Maybe I didn't look hard enough?

I got mine at TNJ Murray:
Military Vehicles For Sale | Military Trucks For Sale-TNJMurray

On their old website, it was listed in like three different places, new, used, whatever. Now I can't find it all. I know I found it in the M151 parts before, but it's MIA now.

I'd give them a call and I'll bet they can find you one anyway.

Anyone have a picture of a pintle hook with the chain plate? Not familiar with that setup.

Thanks.

I'd go out and snap a pic, but it's 7F right now.
I found one on the web for you. Part number 3 is called a pintle safety chain plate and can be had for a few dollars from one of the online or ebay H1 suppliers.
Pintle.jpg

Last edited:
Clarification please: Can you tow a class 2 (1-7/8" ball) trailer with a pintle hitch?

Clarification please: Can you tow a class 2 (1-7/8" ball) trailer with a pintle hitch?

well, I would think that depends on the GVW and tongue weights of the trailer, of the rating of the hook and the rating of whatever it's attached to. If the latter 2 are more than the former then why not.

The smallest pintle hooks I remember seeing were way up there in rating (5 tons IIRC) and more than an 80 is capable of towing safely. These things are usually strooong.

My 8-ton Reese combo pintle with the bolted-in ball uses a 2" ball. You might have a problem with the extra 1/8" , I suspect.

You might try checking different manufacturers' combination pintles to see if they're all 2" or not. They may all be 2" or larger, since they're aren't too many puny pintles out there.

Also, even if you have a lunette on your trailer, those comes in different sizes also. Our M101 CDN and the current pintle hitch play well together without too much clanking, but others have said switching the pintle so it matches the hitch better can help. Don't want it too tight though.

Well I used what I think you said you weren't interested in. Not sure why you wouldn't want the flexibility. Anyway, top two holes are M12 x 1.25 and are threaded. Bottom holes will fit any M12 bolt. I used galvanized eye hooks in the bottom with heavy hex nuts on the backside. I also used long enough bolts on top to put a washer and nut on the backside.

Who makes this one?

Cheers,
Mike

Only if it's a combination pintle hitch with a built in ball in 1 7/8" dia. You cannot simply sit the tongue down on a normal pintle and tow with it (well maybe across the yard) if that's what you were thinking.

I haven't seen any with a 1-7/8" ball, all the ones I've seen had 2" balls.

Your best bet if you cannot find one is to modify the trailer to fit a 2" ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom