The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

did anyone notice a change in the pitch of the turbo sound? i just finished my intercooler install and the turbo seems louder and higher pitched, I'm assuming because of all the piping. boost is the same or 1psi lower which i expected.

did anyone notice a change in the pitch of the turbo sound? i just finished my intercooler install and the turbo seems louder and higher pitched, I'm assuming because of all the piping. boost is the same or 1psi lower which i expected.

I did notice a change in sound when I installed mine. But, mine sounds more muffled and quiet with the intercooler on. I used to hear more of a clear and defined turbo whine before.

hmmm, well as long as nothing is wrong with it I like it. My EGT's are much lower on the highway and keeping up with traffic is much easier on the long hills. I still can't go full throttle and still have to watch my temps on the hills but its a big improvement. the piping sure was a PITA! The grill isn't on yet either because i have a tranny cooler in there too, ill try trimming it out but i may have to get an aftermarket one with more room.

hmmm, well as long as nothing is wrong with it I like it. My EGT's are much lower on the highway and keeping up with traffic is much easier on the long hills. I still can't go full throttle and still have to watch my temps on the hills but its a big improvement. the piping sure was a PITA! The grill isn't on yet either because i have a tranny cooler in there too, ill try trimming it out but i may have to get an aftermarket one with more room.
Are you still on the stock turbo? With my Gturbo set a little over 20psi, I haven't seen EGTs above 1000f, even on multi-mile long hills. I've gotten spoiled and only look at EGTs to appreciate having an intercooler now.

Are you still on the stock turbo? With my Gturbo set a little over 20psi, I haven't seen EGTs above 1000f, even on multi-mile long hills. I've gotten spoiled and only look at EGTs to appreciate having an intercooler now.
yea still on the stock turbo, i don't want to spend the money for a Gturbo until i need to. Im jealous! I've sunk enough money in this truck for now.

A slight change in turbo sound with my top-mount but also to add to that is a snorkel which also changed the tone slightly.

So I am planning on installing an intercooler soon and plan on going Front mount. My only problem is I live in a hot climate and my A/C struggles. I purchased a JDM condenser fan to install but haven't installed it yet. My question is, has anyone installed a set of thin universal pusher fans in front of the FMIC to assist airflow over the condenser? Did it help? Or should I consider a top mount setup and install my JDM fan?

So I am planning on installing an intercooler soon and plan on going Front mount. My only problem is I live in a hot climate and my A/C struggles. I purchased a JDM condenser fan to install but haven't installed it yet. My question is, has anyone installed a set of thin universal pusher fans in front of the FMIC to assist airflow over the condenser? Did it help? Or should I consider a top mount setup and install my JDM fan?
Unfortunately there is no room for pusher fans. On my install I had to shave s little off the back of the grille. My a/c doesn’t struggle behind the intercooler but I also live in a moderate climate in Vancouver, Canada.
8812F815-7DA0-4C9D-B417-CA2FDAD51DB4.jpeg

I have the PDI frontmount on my 1hdft and have used it in the north west of western australia towing a 21ft caravan in summer, only place hotter is hell itself, no issues with the air con even tho the rad temp got up to 115c at times (coolant boils at 128c), just make sure your fan hub is working well, I put 20k oil in mine, and I run 15w/50 syn diesel engine oil

Anyone know the actual measurements of the PDI intercooler(It seems they did a great job in using the widest core they can fit in there).

Half of me wants to buy one but that shipping......... So the other half wants to just buy a core, a plenum piece for the manifold and have a shop fabricate the piping.

EDIT: May just go the route with the slightly smaller core since the PDI fits almost too snug

Unfortunately there is no room for pusher fans. On my install I had to shave s little off the back of the grille. My a/c doesn’t struggle behind the intercooler but I also live in a moderate climate in Vancouver, Canada.View attachment 2132646
Thanks for the input! Your install looks great btw. My A/c is fine until you sit at a stop light and we have high humidity here. I have a new fan clutch and the pressures in my a/c system are good. Has anyone else had issues with a/c cooling and a FMIC?

Haven't seen it anywhere, does anyone have any experience with or feedback on PEC Australia?

here are some kits they sell
VM Top Mount Intercooler Kit For Toyota Landcruiser 80 Ser 1HD-T HDJ80 4.2

PEC PREMIUM Top Mount V2 Intercooler Kit For Toyota Landcruiser 80 Ser 1HD-T ...

New PEC Water to Air Intercooler Kit for Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 1HD-T 4.2L

I have purchased from PEC a number of times (they are 15 minutes from my place), from what I remember they were pretty good to deal with but I haven’t purchased one of their intercooler kits and haven’t had to deal with them when they go wrong.

But the fact they have a showroom were you can physically go see them is better than a lot of the “online only” sellers.

Are you in Australia or overseas?

I have purchased from PEC a number of times (they are 15 minutes from my place), from what I remember they were pretty good to deal with but I haven’t purchased one of their intercooler kits and haven’t had to deal with them when they go wrong.

But the fact they have a showroom were you can physically go see them is better than a lot of the “online only” sellers.

Are you in Australia or overseas?
I'm in USA. PEC have listings up on eBay with shipping quotes that aren't too bad, so I am strongly considering them. I'd like to go HPD or safari, but they are double the cost and have no easy way to get to the states over here. Even if I can't ever get a warranty through, ordering from a real parts house would make me feel better than buying random stuff off of ali-baba or whatever.

I just purchased this w2a kit from eBay - came from China and was on my doorstep within a week. Quality of the intercooler and heat exchanger look great. The water pump and wiring kit look cheap and may need upgrading in the future. The holes for the intercooler bracket look to be in the wrong location so that will need modification. The intercooler has HPD punched on the tanks. I have to finish installing my turbo and intake before installing this kit. I will post up some photos when installed.

86D4CA92-F453-4DDC-B208-1EEAE3855F83.jpeg
7E99895E-9A52-41DF-97EE-97231AC74EFF.jpeg
80E841F6-F98F-4632-BBC4-F4F097265F8E.jpeg
063ADB01-0B3D-42E5-A2B1-2D90814AB6BB.jpeg
59D64628-1624-4ECC-8C4D-DB5B4E4362B7.jpeg

I bet the guys at HPD would love to see that:hillbilly:

Must be using end tanks that they also make for HPD for a2a as I don't believe HPD do a w2a setup

Fitted my oversize PDI and it took some effort as it is tight.The grill took a fair beating ...

20191028_142426.jpg

20191028_121153.jpg

Very happy with the results though as my pre turbo EGTs dropped by about 100 to 150 Deg C over the entire range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom