The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

air to air front mount is in line with the simplicity of a diesel 80 series, I had problems with the fan and electrics when I had a top mount

not the best of pics, but you can see the slight upward tilt
20190420_091403.jpg
20190420_091516.jpg
20190420_091542.jpg

not the best of pics, but you can see the slight upward tilt
View attachment 1957327View attachment 1957328View attachment 1957329

Thanks for the pictures! It looks like my pipes sit higher than yours because of the clearance issues with my bumper. I'll take some pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with.

I'm also dealing with the pipe that makes a "u" shape, coming up out from the turbo and back down next to the battery, going out to the intercooler. That pipe makes contact with my hood insulation. Do you have an issue with that on yours? My hood latch also inexplicably is giving me issues... it doesn't want to latch shut. Did you have any issue with that?

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for the pictures! It looks like my pipes sit higher than yours because of the clearance issues with my bumper. I'll take some pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with.

I'm also dealing with the pipe that makes a "u" shape, coming up out from the turbo and back down next to the battery, going out to the intercooler. That pipe makes contact with my hood insulation. Do you have an issue with that on yours? My hood latch also inexplicably is giving me issues... it doesn't want to latch shut. Did you have any issue with that?

Thanks for all the help.
Sounds like you either need to seat the hard pipe further in the couplings or do some trimming to lower the u pipe down. Your intercooler is probably sitting too high and interfering with the latch. I’m glad I ran mine through the rad support rather then under.

yes its all a tight fit, now that mine has been running for a while you can see a mark on the bonnet (hood) lining where it just touches, try lubing up the silicone with some dishwashing liquid and really pushing them on. If you need to trim some be sure to measure twice, cut once :)

yes its all a tight fit, now that mine has been running for a while you can see a mark on the bonnet (hood) lining where it just touches, try lubing up the silicone with some dishwashing liquid and really pushing them on. If you need to trim some be sure to measure twice, cut once :)

Yeah, I already have a slight mark on the hood lining as well. My issue is that the elbow from my air filter box, is right under the hard pipe, so I can't push it any farther down. This is a bad picture, but you can see in the upper left the contact that I am having. (I put some rubber in between the two metal surfaces)

vNWt19Wh.jpg

Sounds like you either need to seat the hard pipe further in the couplings or do some trimming to lower the u pipe down. Your intercooler is probably sitting too high and interfering with the latch. I’m glad I ran mine through the rad support rather then under.

You can see the hood latch mechanism in this picture. It (obviously) had to be modified. What I'm seeing is that I need to manually (with a screw driver) move the cable to get the hood to latch. It doesn't seem to have the required tension to reset itself. We rerouted the cable but used all the stock parts. I sprayed some WD40 in the cable lining and, when I move it by hand, it seems smooth and easy. I don't know... maybe it's pinched somewhere?

Last edited:
I don't have the factory air box, that may give it more clearance there. If you want more pics of mine let me know, the bonnet on mine latches and opens fine, prob done around 20k km since the install

I don't have the factory air box, that may give it more clearance there. If you want more pics of mine let me know, the bonnet on mine latches and opens fine, prob done around 20k km since the install

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate any pics you have of the area. Right now, I'm working on getting turn signals figured out so I can, technically, be road legal again. After that, I'd like to work airbox fitment. After that, I'd like to figure out what's going on with my hood latch.

I just finished my front mounted intercooler after upgrading to a Gturbo. Following their lead, I bought a large ebay intercooler with 2.5" inlet/outlet. Piping was also bought on ebay as a general kit with t-clamps and silicone connectors. The intake adaptor was from Australian ebay and the airbox is a stock Duramax box with 6" fender feed and a 4" elbow that reduces to a 2.5" turbo inlet. It is holding 25 psi with no issues but I'm still testing. I followed the same plumbing as the new Safari coolers, through the rad support. It makes the path short and simple. Now I am going to remove the factory tranny cooler and installing a Derale 15960 under the cab inside the frame. Jason at Cruisin Offroad is building a mount so we can angle it up and out of harms way.View attachment 1897551View attachment 1897552View attachment 1897553

Good morning @J2P :)

A couple questions.

-Is that the factory aisin winch you have? Did you have any issues fitting an intercooler? I know the HPD kit that "fits oem winch" is about half that size.

-What made you go with the Duramax intake box? Fitment for the IC piping, or better airflow, or...? I have an OEM snorkle so it may be hard to change that out for me.

-If your IC was thinner (I read yours is 3" thick?) would it fit with the OEM transmission cooler still?

-How has your cruiser been running since you got the IC installed? Much cooler? and finally,

-Do you have any links or example links of the pieces you purchased? I know a good welder here in Kamloops that wouldn't have any issues welding the pipes together for me so I may not need as many silicone connectors.

Thanks for any help,
Andrew

Good morning @J2P :)

A couple questions.

-Is that the factory aisin winch you have? Did you have any issues fitting an intercooler? I know the HPD kit that "fits oem winch" is about half that size.

-What made you go with the Duramax intake box? Fitment for the IC piping, or better airflow, or...? I have an OEM snorkle so it may be hard to change that out for me.

-If your IC was thinner (I read yours is 3" thick?) would it fit with the OEM transmission cooler still?

-How has your cruiser been running since you got the IC installed? Much cooler? and finally,

-Do you have any links or example links of the pieces you purchased? I know a good welder here in Kamloops that wouldn't have any issues welding the pipes together for me so I may not need as many silicone connectors.

Thanks for any help,
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I do have the factory winch installed and the only problem was the clutch release handle that I cut down a little. You can see in the first picture that the IC sits just above the solenoid box on the right top of the winch. On the left side you see a short rubber hose sticking up, that is a cover on the clutch release. I believe that IC fits perfect between the winch and the hood release up top.
IMG_4889.JPG

I did have to shave some slats in the back of the grille to fit the IC behind it because I had a tranny cooler mounted between the IC and radiator. I took that cooler out and installed a Derale with a fan under my truck. Reasoning was that way I dont block too much of the rad and I still have good cooling for the tranny.

The Duramax airbox was chosen so that I had enough airflow for the Gturbo at 20+ psi. It worked out great because it dropped the outlet pipe down allowing me to run IC pipping over top and around the AC. It was a hell of a lot cheaper then what people want for basic copies in aluminum or sheet metal. You can definitely adapt your snorkel to the inlet if you are creative. I am thinking about a snorkel too but I have not had any issues running out of air yet. I pulled all the pipping out of the fender.

Yes my 81 runs cooler but I should bump up the boost as now it is maxing out at 22psi where as before install it was at 24psi. So far I have not reached 1200f pre-turbo pushing it hard and it drops quite fast in temps once you let of the fuel. Bigger concern is the tranny temp with my hydraulic tranny but now with the tranny cooler relocation it stays bellow 200f majority of time.

This is the kit I bought originally and as you see it's true dimensions are 26" x 11" x 3" with 2.5" inlet and outlet. C$233
Diy Turbo Charger Fmic Intercooler 8X Piping Pipe Kit Tbolt Clamps Coupler 2.5" | eBay

Just in case I also ordered a similar pipping kit as this, but be carefull as my pipping didn't match the IC kit as it was 2.5" inside diameter and other was 2.5" outside diameter. In the end I used larger in to IC and smaller pipping out to intake. C$120
8PC 2.5" Chrome Aluminum Intercooler Piping Kit+Blue Silicone Hose+Clamp | eBay

I also had to buy this Intake adapter from Australia C$200

It is very thin pipping so using silicone connectors and flaring the pipe ends was my solution. I have not blown a coupler yet. The airbox with pipping on Craigslist cost me $50 so for the IC, pipping and airbox I totalled about C$650. I am very happy with that.
If you are in Lower Mainland I'll let you test drive.

Petr

Peter, thanks so much for the detailed reply. That intake adapter connects to the manifold where the factory cross over pipe normally would go...do you have a link for that guy too?

I have the solenoid driven transmission so I get 3rd gear lockup, which helps the temps. But I would love to keep my OEM cooler as I haven't found another trans cooler that works as well. I wouldn't mind shaving some of the slats on the grill if it meant the IC would fit in front of the oem trans cooler fine.

Do you have a link to the actual IC you purchased? being that the ID is 2.5", maybe I should look for a piping kit that has 2.5 ID.. or was it not that big of an issue.

I'm in Kamloops, but occasionally are in the lower mainland.. Usually at Cruisin' off road hahaha :)

Peter, thanks so much for the detailed reply. That intake adapter connects to the manifold where the factory cross over pipe normally would go...do you have a link for that guy too?

I have the solenoid driven transmission so I get 3rd gear lockup, which helps the temps. But I would love to keep my OEM cooler as I haven't found another trans cooler that works as well. I wouldn't mind shaving some of the slats on the grill if it meant the IC would fit in front of the oem trans cooler fine.

Do you have a link to the actual IC you purchased? being that the ID is 2.5", maybe I should look for a piping kit that has 2.5 ID.. or was it not that big of an issue.

I'm in Kamloops, but occasionally are in the lower mainland.. Usually at Cruisin' off road hahaha :)
The link is the actual one I purchased. It’s the second set of pipping kit I don’t have. Since you loose pressure over the IC you should not use larger pipe and also 2.5” was just tight enough that anything larger would be difficult I believe. I have the original tranny cooler if you want it. It’s old but does not leak.

Ohhh, I thought that first link was just piping but it's the cooler too. C $206.98 is pretty cheap for all that!

Just to confirm, the first link (that includes the IC) is 2.5" ID?

I actually already have the OEM trans cooler, we never removed it from the LX when Jason swapped the 1HD-T in. My hopes were to fit this IC in front of the oem trans cooler.

Ohhh, I thought that first link was just piping but it's the cooler too. C $206.98 is pretty cheap for all that!

Just to confirm, the first link (that includes the IC) is 2.5" ID?

I actually already have the OEM trans cooler, we never removed it from the LX when Jason swapped the 1HD-T in. My hopes were to fit this IC in front of the oem trans cooler.
The IC kit uses 2.5” OD pipe. It doesn’t say in the description but I just measured it. I accidentally ordered the separate piping kit in 2.25” OD so I have 2.5” OD into IC and 2.25”OD out. The kit was C$233 with intercooler, pipe, couplers and clamps.

Jason installed my remote tranny cooler.
Great guy at CRUISIN Offroad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom