Builds The Little Red Lobster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20200614_143049-L.jpg

It's been awhile since I updated the thread. Move, new job, house still in the middle of a remodel so we're living in half of it. Life is good, but hectic. Made a dump run last weekend with the Lobster, but that didn't make for a good pic, so here's one from the summer.

I'm going to quietly put this here for fans of the thread and the Lobster. I think she's going to be up for sale here shortly. Long story, some of it above, some of it "vehicular reorganization" in my life. You know the build, I have some parts gathered to make it even better. PM me for details, ad will go up soon but thought I would start here.

Should have put the 4spd in! Good luck with sale, this is a great little rig.

Should have put the 4spd in! Good luck with sale, this is a great little rig.
Thanks Rob. For tooling around the national park and here in NH, the 3 speed has been fine. But, one of the parts I have sitting around is a Valley hybrids rebuilt H42, 3:1 split case with an OEM drum if someone really wanted to go all in. Choices are good!

Thanks Rob. For tooling around the national park and here in NH, the 3 speed has been fine. But, one of the parts I have sitting around is a Valley hybrids rebuilt H42, 3:1 split case with an OEM drum if someone really wanted to go all in. Choices are good!
That is a nice combo! If I remember correctly the 3:1 gear set is quiet too.

20200614_143049-L.jpg

It's been awhile since I updated the thread. Move, new job, house still in the middle of a remodel so we're living in half of it. Life is good, but hectic. Made a dump run last weekend with the Lobster, but that didn't make for a good pic, so here's one from the summer.

I'm going to quietly put this here for fans of the thread and the Lobster. I think she's going to be up for sale here shortly. Long story, some of it above, some of it "vehicular reorganization" in my life. You know the build, I have some parts gathered to make it even better. PM me for details, ad will go up soon but thought I would start here.

You keep tempting me with your toys, Stop it!

That is a nice combo! If I remember correctly the 3:1 gear set is quiet too.
Supposed to be quiet, doesn't change the high range ratio like the 4:1. I don't know, still sitting on the pallet as Georg sent it to me. Twin stick, fj60 shifter and crossmember in there too. Ready to drop in!

H42%20Pallet-L.jpg

You keep tempting me with your toys, Stop it!
You know how I feel about that 72 you're building! Part of the "realignment" is considering having one completely done rig vs multiple trucks in various states. 67 patina and the Lobster toys toward that beauty?

I would consider some sort of trade plus cash however I am still at a stand still with where to go with the engine. I decided to push it aside for awhile until I figure it out.

20200614_143049-L.jpg

You making me dizzy

You making me dizzy
Long rant to follow, you've all been warned. TL;DR I blame you @wngrog ;) .

Project patina got me to buy the 67 patina rig. Then I realized I really didn't want to spend my whole post Navy summer restoring a truck, so I warehouse that one "for later" and I pick up the Lobster to drive and play with. Then I replicate your style of jumping in with both feet on that...2F, new everything while I'm in there,new bias plys have to go, etc. With that extra time over the summer, I dig into the Warthog build thread and decide I clearly need a Pig too. The enablers in the sty make sure that project balloons, and I start jumping in with both feet there as well. I almost forget I have the 100 series after I lend it to a buddy to wheel in Vermont for the summer. The vision of a stable of Land Cruisers grows while it feels like I have all the time in the world.

Then, I move down here to NH, move into half a house while the build on the other half (the good half, where we'd like to be) gets delayed by Covidiosity and mission creep. Start a job that's actually busy. Realize I won't get the new garage/shop built until at least summer of 2021 and that's if Lumber becomes available and worth less than gold again. And realize that though I'm a few years younger than @wngrog I don't have the stamina and testicular fortitude to somehow build my own multiple rigs and work a full time job. Or at least, I don't want to do such a thing and this is an optional hobby. I have no idea how you manage that, plus your internet empire, and your side hussle of resurrecting other people's rigs. Bravo, and thanks for that. Somehow I managed to convince myself that a fleet of elderly cruisers in various states of disrepair with no place to put them was a good plan at this point in my life! Like having my 3 children in 4 years, it seemed like a good idea at the time. :bang:

I took a step back this past week and thought about what I really wanted from my Land cruisers, and what works right now. That boils down to the built 100 series which needs nothing (except a new front fender :doh:) that I can wheel here on the weekends. And 1 classic cruiser that needs nothing but a spot in my garage. The Lobster is actually there once I drop in the disc brake axles and the just arrived Holley sniper. Thus, the somewhat tentative not-really-quite advertisement. But, @ClemsonCruiser is about to finish a perfect FJ45 SWB, @Indygbd has a 72 FST that is IMO the perfect FJ40. The Lobster is a great truck, but it's not a perfect truck. Most of the time, I actually consider that a plus. But I'm fortunate to be in a position that I can look at the restored rigs. The FJ55 went back to @Pigeaten, someone will want the Yosemite Yellow patina on the 67 and make her what she should be, and if the Lobster goes that leaves me a good part of the way to picking up a fully restored classic. I realize I'm lucky to have first world problems such as these.

In the end, yep it's been a dizzy ride. Thanks Nolen for the inspiration, even if you did help me get a bit too far down the rabbit hole. Garage built next summer and the world settles down, there's a decent chance I may head down that way again. Until then, who wants this little '61?

Last edited:
Long rant to follow, you've all been warned. TL;DR I blame you @wngrog ;) .

Project patina got me to buy the 67 patina rig. Then I realized I really didn't want to spend my whole post Navy summer restoring a truck, so I warehouse that one "for later" and I pick up the Lobster to drive and play with. Then I replicate your style of jumping in with both feet on that...2F, new everything while I'm in there,new bias plys have to go, etc. With that extra time over the summer, I dig into the Warthog build thread and decide I clearly need a Pig too. The enablers in the sty make sure that project balloons, and I start jumping in with both feet there as well. I almost forget I have the 100 series after I lend it to a buddy to wheel in Vermont for the summer. The vision of a stable of Land Cruisers grows while it feels like I have all the time in the world.

Then, I move down here to NH, move into half a house while the build on the other half (the good half, where we'd like to be) gets delayed by Covidiosity and mission creep. Start a job that's actually busy. Realize I won't get the new garage/shop built until at least summer of 2021 and that's if Lumber becomes available and worth less than gold again. And realize that though I'm a few years younger than @wngrog I don't have the stamina and testicular fortitude to somehow build my own multiple rigs and work a full time job. Or at least, I don't want to do such a thing and this is an optional hobby. I have no idea how you manage that, plus your internet empire, and your side hussle of resurrecting other people's rigs. Bravo, and thanks for that. Somehow I managed to convince myself that a fleet of elderly cruisers in various states of disrepair with no place to put them was a good plan at this point in my life! Like having my 3 children in 4 years, it seemed like a good idea at the time. :bang:

I took a step back this past week and thought about what I really wanted from my Land cruisers, and what works right now. That boils down to the built 100 series which needs nothing (except a new front fender :doh:) that I can wheel here on the weekends. And 1 classic cruiser that needs nothing but a spot in my garage. The Lobster is actually there once I drop in the disc brake axles and the just arrived Holley sniper. Thus, the somewhat tentative not-really-quite advertisement. But, @ClemsonCruiser is about to finish a perfect FJ45 SWB, @Indygbd has a 72 FST that is IMO the perfect FJ40. The Lobster is a great truck, but it's not a perfect truck. Most of the time, I actually consider that a plus. But I'm fortunate to be in a position that I can look at the restored rigs. The FJ55 went back to @Pigeaten, someone will want the Yosemite Yellow patina on the 67 and make her what she should be, and if the Lobster goes that leaves me with a decent stake to pick up a fully restored classic. I realize I'm lucky to have first world problems such as these.

In the end, yep it's been a dizzy ride. Thanks Nolen for the inspiration, even if you did help me get a bit too far down the rabbit hole. Garage built next summer and the world settles down, there's a decent chance I may head down that way again. Until then, who wants this little '61?
You can never have too many land cruisers. But, honestly I get it. I’m slowly narrowing down some cruisers as well. A bunch of project trucks can drive someone mad. A handful of really nice ones.....that’s not so bad.

You can never have too many land cruisers. But, honestly I get it. I’m slowly narrowing down some cruisers as well. A bunch of project trucks can drive someone mad. A handful of really nice ones.....that’s not so bad.
Amen to that.

I’ve never been one to get emotionally attached to a Land Cruiser but I can’t seem to sell any, I just keep buying more. I 100% have too many but I don’t see me getting rid of any, even through the market is just stupid right now. I used to have a plan that I would spend 2x the value of a truck so I don’t ever get tempted to sell but with the insane BAT prices I may not be but 25-50% under water

Alright folks, ad going up in a bit, today or tomorrow. I want a good home for this old gal. Price is less than I have in it (isn't it always) but if I'm out of line or you feel you're absolutely the right home and short of funds, let's talk.

$18k as she sits, and I will include a dual circuit master cyl to make a dual circuit system (safe) and a complete tie rod, drag link, relay rod and endx6 kit from cruiser outfitters (safer, current are 59 years old and small size unobtainium, thus the new rods). Systems that are in there currently are fine, but I think these are great upgrades so the parts go automatically.

Highlights from the thread
- refreshed and resealed 2F, new oil pan, new water pump, new plugs, FJ60 distributor, gear reduction starter. Old school F135 thermostat housing, old style alternator with rebuild. All done spring 2020
- F air cleaner, intake, exhaust.
- new @ToyotaMatt overflow bottle
- MarkA carb rebuilt August 2020
- New clutch, PP, resurfaced flywheel. Resealed Trans and T-case.
- Later 3 speed driveshafts with new U joints.
- @JackA did a knuckle job, new wheel cylinders and shoes all around. 1961 drums are single year, later almost fit and could with some creativity. Slightly out of round, but brakes work well. New soft lines back then.
- Jack did shocks, bushings
- OEM Disc wheels x 5 with new Maxxis 30x9.5 MTs. About 400 miles on those.

Negatives/needs -
- She was called the rattle can rebuild, and is a 10 footer. A good 10 footer, but not perfect. Like the middle aged former cheerleader who's taken care of herself, really fun to ride but if you get too close she isn't quite what she once was. There are a couple of tiny bubbles on the rear sill. A few runs here and there, etc. She's a driver.
- Windshield wipers not wired. I have the harness for that. I've been lazy, and she only sees sunny days.
- Horn doesn't work. Contact in the button missing, unobtainium or nearly so.
- Besttop included. Ugly, intact, works.

Other things I have, available for additional $$:
- Front disc brake axle. Currently in pieces as I await a 3rd member. Complete Cruiser outfitter knuckle,bearing, seal, soft brake lines, backing plate eliminator, etc kit waiting to go on. It will need a hard brake line I haven't sourced yet. New warn hubs for the long birfs (78 axle)
- Mosley motors Holley sniper set up for the 1F, with pump, hoses, air cleaner adapter, etc.
- Late model SF Rear axle. Complete refresh. Zuk rebuilt 3rd with Auburn LSD, that was sent to @orangefj45 to go in a good axle he had (replacing the deep sea rust bucket earlier in this thread). This is still at VH, so could be shipped anywhere. 3rd member for the front is there as well, same shipment. I do have a plan for it if it doesn't go with the Lobster, so it won't be fire-sold.
- I have 2F air cleaner, intake, exhaust if the 1F dressing offends.
- A bunch of other stuff, like a saginaw box, PS pump from 2F, U-bolt flip kit, boss airbags, OME shackles. The list is long, as I've gathered things as they came up for this or some other build.

Basically, between this 40 and the patina rig, I had enough to make one modernized old style FJ40 and another good runner. As above, I'm trying to get out of the parts storage and restoration business and into 1 completely done rig. I've found that truck, so here it all is. Posting before I change my mind (again) ;):cheers:

Ad is up. Haven't changed my mind yet.

So we still have time to work on you, eh?

I hear @JackA is in need of a new project. :p

I may have missed it, but what size are your tires?

I may have missed it, but what size are your tires?
Tires are Maxxis Bighorn 30x9.5 15s. In my experience, and in this case, Maxxis run big vs other tires. These are probably as big or bigger than BFG 31x10.5, and you can get the skinnier tire this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom