Builds The Little Red Lobster

Dizzy

SILVER Star
I'm building a J30 gear situation, and don't have propeller shafts. I figured that I would copy a factory shaft for length, as spring and motor mount wear would add a couple variables.

navydivedoc

SILVER Star
I don't have access to an OEM J30 shaft, plus it's hard to know exactly where is neutral for the splines. My apologies if this info is in the FSM; honestly I haven't looked. Tom Woods has made me shafts for other trucks, and I've always been very happy. T-case drum face to pinion flange distance with the truck neutral and unloaded,and he'll make a perfect fit. Tom Woods shaft

navydivedoc

SILVER Star
More build, less glamour shots today.

I was very excited to come home to my MarkA @65swb45 rebuilt carb today. Nicely packed. He included the finishing nail that had been used to hang the float. I pulled the old carb. This soldier kept me on the road this summer, but was dumping so much fuel into the intake my last tank was 6 mpg.

In with the new

Night and day difference. I have a slightly wandering idle, still a mystery there. Valves adjusted and timing set at the BB yesterday, plugs cleaned after the excess fuel I've had. Vacuum running a bit low so I'll try and hunt that down tomorrow. But, giant improvement. Thanks Mark.

navydivedoc

SILVER Star
Before coming home to my new carb, I had been playing with my 78 rear axle. Front is already torn down, diff is off to Zuk for a complete rebuild and an Auburn LSD I had around. I'm going to swap the rear diff into the front as it won't see a lot of miles in use.

I was hopeful things would like nice inside. Those hopes died today. Diff actually looks decent. My hope to "just swap the seals, leave the bearings" was wildly optimistic.

A lot of what's on the axle shafts at the bearing surface is elevated and appears to be rust and garbage from the bearings. No grooving that I can see, but I need to get them cleaned up to be sure. It looks like the axle lost most of the oil while sitting, rather than being run dry. There wasn't much left in the diff to drain, and what was there had a fair amount of water mixed in. Definitely a mess, but salvageable? What say you good people? As @wngrog says, diffs are third world tough. Axle shafts as well? What a pile, but it's here.

Top Bottom