The last month... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
members.cardomain.com
In December and during early last month while driving around my Cruiser would stall when stopping. Like i'd be cruising and then red light. Slow down, and she'll die. Well, this problem started happening more often. While cruising town on the 15th some boards flew off another vehicle. One went straight to my windshield and over the roof. The other came straight to my antenna and then passenger side of the windshield and into my mirror cover. I locked my brakes and skid running over the board that hit my mirror. Well, the major damage was the bent antenna and mirror small kine scratched. So I drove the Cruiser the next day, and it kept stalling, so I parked it in our driveway.
Last week Monday I drove her down to Kona Muffler. Every time I was slowing down she would die. I dropped her off and left and then came back before they closed. They checked a lot of things, and said they couldn't do anything much cause only Toyota had the codes and they couldn't obtain it from them. They did mention that the a/c compressor needed to be replaced. Anyways I drive up the road to the dealership(fyi there's two Toyota dealerships on the island owned by the same person). Had them check it out and made an appointment the next morning. When I got back in I tried to move the seat forward. WTF is wrong, it's only moving. Oh wells, i'll add it to my list.
Driving home I had no problems. So I take it down the next morning and it stalls 3 times at the same places. Toyota did a diagnostic and checked some other things. Took out the drivers seat and test drove her.
The a/c belts needs to be changed, the seat is set too far back, and they found a leak in the vacuum hose but said it's not a biggie and nothing should be wrong with it. Plus it didn't stall while they drove it.
Well, it stalled about five times in the 9 miles that it took to get home. I park her as usual and jot down what happened and other problems.
The next morning I tried starting my cruiser. It would turn over and start to warm up, then die. After several attempts I would turn it over, and keep on the gas pedal. Push it in a lot, and the belts would squeak as usual. So I tried turning it over and revving it to a higher rpm. If I let it rev at 4k RPMs for 3-5 seconds then it would die. If I started her up, revved it at 4k RPMs, let off the gas, then step back on the gas then it would be fine. but eventually die. I told Toyota there was no hope in doing this all the way to the dealership in traffic.
So Sunday night/Monday morning when it wasn't crowded we hooked up a line to our truck, but I atleast wanted to get to the bottom of the driveway before hooking my Cruiser up. I turned her over and gunned it as soon as she started. On the 3rd time she didn't stall/die so I dropped her into drive and hauled ass to the dealership. Every time I left off the gas or didn't continuously pump the gas then she would die. So 8 times total from our house she stalled. I'd just glide, put her in neutral, and then start her back up and gun it.
So today I get a call from the dealership that my Cruiser will not be ready for a while. Last week I was told I need a whole new front drivers seat. $2000 something dollars. A/C belts I forgot what, antenna more then $300, and diagnostic $180 or something like that. One of the things I wrote on the paper for the techs at the dealership was that I think the vacuum line was the problem. Anyways, I will post back after I talk to them tomorrow.

And on a lighter note over $5k is going into my dads Range Rover as soon as the parts get in. And our good ol Ford needs some props!! Anyways.... just another horror story...

Sorry to hear it man - you might want to check the air intake hose that runs in between the air filter housing and the intake. I cracked mine when replacing the air filter and it died all the time - the mass air meter is located at the filter end so it will muck things up if air is getting in past it. Just a thought...

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear about your pains.

I hope you are at least enjoying the amazing weather that Kona has. It is snowing here. :'(

Good Luck & thanks for the buzz kill.

wow, I got lost with the boards and all.

Stalling, plug the vacuum lines and check for other leaks (air intake hose), after thats fixed you might check the fuel pump. Antenna should be any easy DIY fix, BTW, my dealer quoted $120 so $300 seams way over board.

Buy a used seat, if you check the for sale section I'm pretty sure you will find something there. If not for $2000 I'll sell you mine :D. Just put the seat in on position and leave it alone.

The $$$ in the RR are to be expected that is why I bought a cruiser.

andre

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=10947;start=msg98390#msg98390 date=1075815283]
Sorry Dude. 4 lines into it and I had to stop. Too damn painful to read.

Best of luck with whatever is going on.
[/quote]

True... True...

That's the other extreme from the too frequent "My 93 is making a noise, so how much will it cost to fix?" question.

Try to keep to the relevant information and slack off to 2 or 3 venti lattes.

-B-

Try switching the seats from driver to pass. side.
Can that be done??? If so do it, then in your free time find the broken wire or bad motor.

stopping during coming to a stop - if the other stuff mentioned didn't cure it, check your Idle Air Control valve (IAC) or whatever Toyota calls it. It either needs to be cleaned or replaced.

I was thinking about the VSV till you mentioned that the truck would die standing still; so it's not it - more like fuel delivery problem. If your ICV is bad, you'd probably have strong fuel smell when the engine cuts out.

Just a quick thought,
Frank.

umm, can you next time maybe list in point form the things that are wrong? You sound a little wired. I hope my posts don't read like that.

the stalling? begin here. You should get an explanation from the dealer or tell us what they told you. I wouldn't bother with anything else until just that is fixed. If you can't diagnose problem youself, make the toyota tech explain the problem exactly then tell us.

antenna - should be about $40 for the mast kit. labour about .5 hour. You can do it yourself. Can't believe the motor would be damaged from what you described.

broken seat -- no idea, but $2000 are you crazy? check the for sale list here as someone is trying to sell the front seats off a cruiser here. They are bolt in. You could get an upholsterer to switch the leather off your current seat.

a/c compressor bad? just ignore that until everything else is fixed.

bad a/c belt? $20 part. maybe .75 hour labour. You can do it yourself and you should replace the other belts too. Make sure you use toyota belts

Thanks ghuys, and yes, i'll try to get more info from the tech.
Anyways, I called Toyota this afternoon. The switches still work, but the thing that moves the seat back and forth is stripped. And yes, I was WTF when they said $2000 for the seat. So yeah, I checked out the for sale section. Since i'm in a money bind here is what I was thinking. If I can't find a cheap used seat or seat mechanism then I would either buy some racing seats for the front or swap in used seats and most likely modify it to fit(and put covers on them).
The antenna, motor still runs but the mast stays up. I've read about the problems and discovered the cure here(thanks guys!!), but fricken Toyota will only sell the whole assembly part(motor, antenna and whatever you need).
Toyota says they're going to change the a/c belts. I could do it myself, but the tools I need are 130 miles away and my uncle needs them more(frame up on his truck and redoing his boat). But oh well, i'll just fork out my cash.

Now here is the problem. They found out the bellow boot needs to be replaced for a cool $139. They said that they were pretty sure that was the problem. Notice that they aren't positively sure that it's the problem. I don't really know, but I just said what the heck and they said they already had the part on order. Also notice that they had already placed the order?? I should have said never mind, but that's ok.
Also, my idler arm needs to be replaced. They said that it would be fixed by this weekend(4 days away).
Also, i'm going to have them reseal my knuckle joints. Please don't flame me on not doing it myself. This has been leaking for quite sometime. I just don't have the time, garage space, and the tools(at this time) to do this. i figure if it's going in for this long then I should have that done.

So tomorrow i'll call and have a nice talk and what's up with her. If I have time in the afternoon then i'll go down and check what's wrong and if they're treating her right. Hopefully they are right and I don't need to take her back for awhile. But i'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, the Toyota dealerships on the Big Island do not get parts directly from the mainland. They buy it from Servco Toyota/Lexus on Oahu, bring it here, and then jack up the prices. If Toyota wasn't so anal and let me bring in parts to install then I would buy things online. If I did buy it online then I need to do it myself. Oh wells.

Rogue, it's snowing here too. I haven't gone up this season but last Saturday you couldn't go up b/cthe roads were icy from the 10k elevation. But true, it's warmer here. Around 60-70 degrees is expected tonight....

Hey I got through the first 4 lines this time. You can buy just the gear boxes for the seats. I had mine strip out :slap: when altering the seats position for better leg room. If the stripped gear is on the motor side then buy the otherside and just swap out the guts. The lead screw passes through the gearbox and has a nut with locktite on it.

"HOLD THE LEAD SCREW WITH PLYERS WHEN REMOVING THE NUT"

Or you will strip out that gear box. not too hard to repair. and I think the gear box is about 70.00 IIRC.

OK, are you spending someone else's money or something?

you CAN buy just the antenna mast kit from Toyota, not the whole motor assembly.

what is wrong with your idler arm? Why is this dealer looking at your idler arm when you brought it in because it was stalling?

I don't know what a bellow boot is, so can't help you there.

If you want a knuckle repack, then you need to check with the dealer and see exactly what they are doing (e.g., are they repacking all the bearings).

this particular dealer is not your friend. It sounds like his plan is for you to put his large family through college. If you can't do the work yourself, find a better mechanic and order the parts you need online from another Toyota dealer.

I’m guessing that you are not up to speed on the technical terms and haven’t stated exactly what the dealer said. The “bellow boot” is more than likely the intake hose coming from the air cleaner into the throttle body. This was stated previously as a potential problem. The statement, "reseal my knuckle joints" concerns me. If that is the term your dealer used lookout. That sounds like a quick and dirty fix and should be a birfield repack or service. The dealer sure doesn't sound very confident and is wrong on the seat and antenna repairs. I would look elsewhere for someone else to do the other repairs.

>> slack off to 2 or 3 venti lattes <<

So 2 is still too many? Try limiting it to 1 before noon and get a small next time. And post in the evening after the caffine wears off.

:D

-B-

any leaks after the air meter would result in irregular idle and possible stalling.

latte anyone? :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom