Builds The Journey Begins... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have heard it was bad to let the tob ride the clutch even softly at all times, guess nice I get my new clutch fork spring clip and pivot ball will see how she adjusts out and stick with whatever I get. I know now I am missing part of my tob spring retainer clip.

Yes riding the clutch is always a bad thing. But there's a big difference between the force the clutch throwout has with a foot on the pedal and with just residual hydraulic pressure holding it in place.

I keep coming back and reading this thread over and over. I really appreciate the time you take to explain everything and your pics! bravo on a cool diesel 60! I hope mine grows up to be this cool someday.

I am asuming you are running the stock intercooler? Also what or who was your source for all the cool intercooler/ turbo/ intake clamps and silicone elbows?

Thanks for your time,

Clint

Clint,

Happy to help when I can.

On the intercooler, yes, it's the stock Isuzu unit. I modified the inlet and outlet from 90 degree bends to straight. This was done because the intercooler was narrower than my stock 60 radiator. With the straight ends, I used silicone reducer 90's that allowed me to clear the radiator and change the from the interccoler tube size to a smaller run size to clear the battery trays, etc, etc, etc,... Just a better fit.

I will get you the tube, clamps and hose supplier tonight.

Doug

Clint,

Here is the company I used for the silicone hoses and clamps.

www.cxracing.com

Doug

Thanks for the link Doug. I really appreciate it. Can you provide dementions of the stock intercooler? Not sure if I missed it in your thread.

Clint

Clint,

I will get you some rough inter-cooler measurements tomorrow. Without removing the grill, it will be +/- an 1" or so.

The inter-cooler is the stock unit and I have seen them on Craigslist for $75-125.00 here in LA.

Doug

very cool thanks. I think I may just look for or pick up one of the intercoolers from that link you provided that is close to or a bit bigger than the stock unit.

clint

Sounds like a good idea to see what the have. I would use as large a inter-cooler as possible. The limits in width are making the connections under the battery trays and running next to the inner fenders. Height is what ever will clear the frame and supports of your cruiser.

Look at some of the pictures of my swap to see hose connections and routing. I'm working now (LOL), but will post some inter-cooler measurements when I get home.

Doug

bringing back an old thread!

hey i was curious about what you did for powersteering. didnt see (or couldnt see ) the pump attached to the engine.

i see you have AC tho.. very nice.

did you retain your PS?

The Isuzu engine has a built in gear driven PS pump which I used. The pump is on the opposite side of the engine from the 2F, but longer SS braided lines and the cooler = No Problem. There are pictures of the PS lines, connections and cooler in my build thread. The pictures/etc are on page 2, post 37-38 of thread.

PS works great, no issues at all. I even used the Isuzu PS reservoir which has a cool , reusable filter built into it.

Doug

That is fantastic!!!!!!!

so you retain every aspect of a stock 2F (ice cold AC, Powersteering etc) yet you go diesel and get 25+ mpg and turbo diesel torque.

absolutely love it.

im sold on the 4BD2t when the time comes for a diesel swap.

Doug, I'm trying to decide what would be the best radiator/intercooler solution for my swap. As you pointed out, the FJ radiator is too wide for the unmodified Isuzu intercooler. You moded your intercooler outlets to come straight out the sides rather than back. How did you do this? Do you have any photos of the modified intercooler?

The two alternatives that I'm considering are using the stock FJ radiator and modifying the intercooler like you did or using the stock Isuzu radiator and Intercooler setup but I'm not sure that I will have enough vertical room to accept the Isuzu radiator as it's a bit taller. I also prefer the brass FJ radiator over the plastic and aluminum Isuzu radiator as it would be easier to repair in the field should the need arise.

Astr,

In the pages and pictures I listed in post #150 are a few shots of the intercooler and the mods I did. I basically just cut off the 90 degree bends on the Isuzu intercooler and welded them back on. I used reducer silicone 90's from the intercooler to the pipe to and from the engine. Another advantage to having straight intercooler connections is by using the silicone 90's, I was able to adjust the angle a little which helped fitting the pipe runs.

The radiator is a four core LC unit from the 2F. It was in great shape so I used it. I also used the stock 60/2F shroud, fan and fan clutch.

I had some steel bent to move the radiator back around 5.5" from stock. This did 2 things, it made the fan fit in the shroud properly and made room for the intercooler in front of the rad. I also left the AC condenser unit in the stock location.

The spacer bolts to the stock LC rad supports on the front sheet metal. On the engine side, the rad mounts and intercooler mounts are part of the spacer. I also made raised mounts welded to frame to raise the stock LC lower rad "L" brackets so the rad height is the same as stock.

I set it up the intercooler so the silicone 90's came out just under the battery trays. If you check out the pictures I think it will be pretty clear.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks Doug. I found the photos and can see how you did it. I haven't had much luck welding aluminum. What process did you use? I probably should just find someone experienced in welding aluminum to weld my intercooler.

I have a TIG set up to weld aluminum, etc. The intercooler mod was easy and was finished in about an hour.

I think the Isuzu intercoolers are built quite well, have good mounting points and can be modified to work on a LC quite easily. I have seen the Isuzu intercoolers for sale here in LA for $75-125.00 on CL.

Doug

I have a TIG set up to weld aluminum, etc. The intercooler mod was easy and was finished in about an hour.

I think the Isuzu intercoolers are built quite well, have good mounting points and can be modified to work on a LC quite easily. I have seen the Isuzu intercoolers for sale here in LA for $75-125.00 on CL.

Doug

Doug

Thanks - I'll give it a try. I have a busted up intercooler that I can practice on.

No smog test on 1998 or older diesels in California.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom