Builds The Green Bastard (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hmmm, was spraying down the cruiser tonight after driving back from dinner (along with :princess: car) and the hubs turned water into steam (not like pouring water into a hot pot) but they turned a mist of water into water vapor / steam
all 4, including the 1 that I have yet to crack open

this is mildly unsettling

hmmm, was spraying down the cruiser tonight after driving back from dinner (along with :princess: car) and the hubs turned water into steam (not like pouring water into a hot pot) but they turned a mist of water into water vapor / steam
all 4, including the 1 that I have yet to crack open

this is mildly unsettling
I would pull the dust caps off the fronts and see what it looks like in there.
Unless you were riding the brakes down a long hill shouldn't be that hot.

In the saga of running down why I have some angry driveline noises, I saw that I had a pretty decent weep on the transfer case, only drained out ~1400ml of 1700ml that I filled it up with, so filled it up with as much as it would hold.
That was from December until now

Will take a look at whats under the dust caps when the sun goes down

In the saga of running down why I have some angry driveline noises, I saw that I had a pretty decent weep on the transfer case, only drained out ~1400ml of 1700ml that I filled it up with, so filled it up with as much as it would hold.

I rebuilt my front axle recently and my rear axle in 2018. We drove the Cruiser to the beach on Tuesday and during one of the stops for gas I checked the hubs for heat. Front and rear were warm but not hot and completely inline with my expectations. I've got new bearings and spindles (thanks cruiserteq) ready to go in on the next rebuild.

I have the 54mm socket if you need to borrow it.

BTW, my brake booster failed while at the beach :( Almost 4 hour trip home with no idea if I would be able to stop the Cruiser.

I rebuilt my front axle recently and my rear axle in 2018. We drove the Cruiser to the beach on Tuesday and during one of the stops for gas I checked the hubs for heat. Front and rear were warm but not hot and completely inline with my expectations. I've got new bearings and spindles (thanks cruiserteq) ready to go in on the next rebuild.

BTW, my brake booster failed while at the beach :( Almost 4 hour trip home with no idea if I would be able to stop the Cruiser.

No booster just means press hardwr

If I recall correctly, my hubs run about 120°F to 140°F all the time. I carry an infrared thermometer with me for work anyway, so I use it to check things when I think about them. I do NOT ride my brakes at all.

No booster just means press hardwr
My booster was failing in two different ways:
Most of the time, it was a soft pedal with lots of throw before engagement. This didn't inspire confidence in regular braking but could be mitigated.
The other failure type was immediate hard pedal with no braking or slowing down. This was scary and happened randomly about a dozen times. The first time it happened I thought my shoe was under the pedal. Luckily we were in an empty parking lot. However the third time it was on the street in traffic and I had to stand on the pedal to slow down to make a turn onto a side street.

We are home now and I've already ordered a booster from Cruiseryard and a MC rebuild kit from my local dealership (great prices). I also purchased new parking brake cables since mine look awful and haven't worked since I bought the Cruiser in 2012.

bummer the break booster gave up the ghost :(

I have the 54mm socket from when I did one of the fronts.

how long could you have held your hand on the hubs?

okeydokey, can confirm there is a good amount of grease on the side that I did service, and an "ok" amount on the did that I did not (front axle)

IR Gun will be here on Monday, going to see if I can get the front prop shaft off tomorrow to take a look at the Ujoints

bummer the break booster gave up the ghost :(

I have the 54mm socket from when I did one of the fronts.

how long could you have held your hand on the hubs?
Seriously forever. They weren't hot after 100+ miles at 70mph average.

I am kind of tempted to replace the front diff oil again, see if this grinding noise is causing any unwanted glitter to appear o_O

going to wrestle with the front prop shaft again today

alrighty then, made some progress:
uncomfortable grinding noise: having the correct amount of fluid in the transfer case helped a lot, I think its now back to driveshaft / ujoints (potentially)

Went out and drove the cruiser around, with the IR gun I took the following readings:

all temps in fahrenheitA (tiny cap on end of axle)B (part of axle that interfaces with hub body)C (hub body)Rotor
1 (baseline at ambient temps)90909090
2 (local auto parts store, 5 mins up road)939293
3 (after 10 mins highway) (15 total mins)110117123
4 (after 10 mins of surface streets, stop and go) (25 total mins)122131142272
5 (back at home) (30 total mins)137148157260

At the suggestion of lumbeeeeeeeeeeeeeee1

I lifted the front axle, and spun the tires by hand, there did not seem to be much resistance, but one could hear the slight rubbing of pads on rotors.

Might consider rebuilding the front brakes? dunno

At the suggestion of lumbeeeeeeeeeeeeeee1

I lifted the front axle, and spun the tires by hand, there did not seem to be much resistance, but one could hear the slight rubbing of pads on rotors.

Might consider rebuilding the front brakes? dunno
The pads are definitely hanging up. The question is what's holding pressure.

Is that one wheel or all?

If it's all I'd look at the braking system before it splits.

If it's one I'd replace the softline and caliper. I'm not a fan of rebuilding calipers at home. Some have success. Many don't.

The pads are definitely hanging up. The question is what's holding pressure.

Is that one wheel or all?

If it's all I'd look at the braking system before it splits.

If it's one I'd replace the softline and caliper. I'm not a fan of rebuilding calipers at home. Some have success. Many don't.
I replaced all of the softlines earlier in the year, they were pretty sad.

Will evaluate putting new calipers on together vs rebuilding them.

I have not done the spin test on the rears yet, just the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom