The Great ONSC Gun Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We just Hired an older retired gentleman in our office. Will be doing my job now that I am retiring. He moved in to his desk and brought a few of his trophies to put on his desk. He does a lot of trap and sport clay. Apparently he is pretty good. Says that he only took the job so he can support his shooting habit. Apparently on average he shoots about 800 rounds a week.
I know nothing about clay shooting but it’s sounds fun from hearing him to all about it.
nothing related to you all’s conversation just thought I would share my little story.
Carry on.

First of all, congratulations on the upcoming retirement. It's much better on this side. I don't think I have a single friend who retired from the Military in the last couple years (to include myself) who has disagreed with that statement.

Second, I've never shot trap or skeet, but have the shotguns for it and can't wait to learn myself. Everyone I know that does it, loves it.

First, rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated :cool: . Just staying busy making ugly accessories for heeps ....
I have made a decision to consolidate my hunting arms / ammo so I have a rifle for sale ... thought I would list it here in case there is any interest among hunters here.

Remington Model 7 Stainless Synthetic in .308. Burris Fullfield II 3-9 scope with Ballistic Plex scope. I have about 300 rounds of ammo to go with it. This is a great compact rifle, I just find myself picking up others instead of this one. It has a really nice trigger job done to it by a now deceased gunsmith in Columbus GA. If you have some interest, drop me a line.

View attachment 2496013
I am a fan of the .308 rifle. I like that it can shoot the 7.62 x 51 NATO rounds as well as .308. Ammo is relatively cheap compared to .30-06 and, while I have not shopped ammo lately (I have plenty), I used to find smokin' deals on the 7.62 NATO all the time. Good all around rifle to put food on the table.

Nothing wrong with it, I'm just not a 'skull' kind of guy. Recent rifle purchase had a gun store sticker crooked over the punisher decal and I figured, it can't be that bad... It was pretty defined so I started looking around. Ordered this from Amazon last night, delivered today... FREEDOM!!
gunskins.JPG

Awesome!! I've been looking at the Zev slide for my P365 to add an RMR
Oh nice I almost used them. But went with zaffiri on my 19x they were a bit cheaper. just need to get my suppressor height sites. For it and it will be done

3E161F9A-8434-4F4E-A338-457785773448.jpeg

4DF6F3D6-9C93-4800-B518-CBD5569C7B0E.jpeg

If any of you are interested in a "tactical crossfit" type event check out The Tactical Games. There are several events in the NC and SC area. I've done a couple now and I am hooked. Reach out if you are interested in doing one and I will answer any questions I can. It's good training. Also, sweet pistols and rifles. Y'all always end up making me spend money. I'm currently in the market for a M9 beretta that has a serial number starting with M9 or a SIG M17 with safety for my military collection. I just recently got my 1911 from the CMP! I'll get a picture next time I'm in my office.

Anyone have a quality .22 semi pistol they would like to mosey along? Looking for something to train with, along with getting the kid and her husband into pistols

Anyone have a 38+p? I've got a box of 50 I bought in error (my j frame cant handle +p) I'd swap for a box of 9mm, or possibly .32 acp.

If any of you are interested in a "tactical crossfit" type event check out The Tactical Games. There are several events in the NC and SC area. I've done a couple now and I am hooked. Reach out if you are interested in doing one and I will answer any questions I can. It's good training. Also, sweet pistols and rifles. Y'all always end up making me spend money. I'm currently in the market for a M9 beretta that has a serial number starting with M9 or a SIG M17 with safety for my military collection. I just recently got my 1911 from the CMP! I'll get a picture next time I'm in my office.
Congrats on winning the CMP 1911 Lottery! When did you apply? I might be interested in The Tactical Games but at 56, I'm not up for much Crossfit!!!

Just Googled "Tactical Games" and it looks awesome... but I'm turning 50 next year and had the same thought. They do have master and light classes so I guess you couldn't get too embarrassed. One just outside Fayetteville next June, could be some motivation to get in shape?!?

Well, this past week was quite surprising as I got word that the Sig P365 I ordered back in April came in and then my next door neighbor let me know that he had won two auctions for Mossberg 930 Tactical Shotguns which I responded with "Take my $". So, need some input for what mods I need to make to the Mossberg and even the Sig.....an early Merry Christmas to me!

Just Googled "Tactical Games" and it looks awesome... but I'm turning 50 next year and had the same thought. They do have master and light classes so I guess you couldn't get too embarrassed. One just outside Fayetteville next June, could be some motivation to get in shape?!?

All the competitors in the classes below Elite ( I can't speak for them since I've never squaded with them) are super friendly and non-judgmental. The master's class is no joke. Some of those guys are in ridiculous shape. The true competition though is you versus you. I would encourage anyone who is competent with a firearm and has a priority towards firearms safety to come out and check it out. I will be at the June event.

Congrats on winning the CMP 1911 Lottery! When did you apply? I might be interested in The Tactical Games but at 56, I'm not up for much Crossfit!!!

I applied during the open window of Fall 2018! My random number was in the 16,XXXs. I got the call and thought it was a joke at first as I'd given up hope. They took my money and this is what I got. I've shot it and it functions perfectly and is a great shot.

Remington Rand Frame with a production year of 1943. Early Colt slide but I can't date it exactly. All parts are USGI and mostly WW2 but I cannot vet everything and it isn't a "matching numbers" piece. I think I could easily double up my money if I wanted to sell it but it goes so well with the CMP M1 Garand that that is highly unlikely. It fits well with my military collection.

1911.jpg

Perks to living in FL now....CCW took 3 weeks....and my two new babies acquired before my permit even arrived 😁
2849DF12-D1A1-42B1-B3C6-C7297809BB41.jpeg
6C847972-6D73-4093-8AB6-FB049B8D5836.jpeg

WTB
Remington 20 gauge 1100 lt20

h&k usp 9mm compact

please let me know if you see either while out and about shopping. Thank you.

In researching some stuff for an M1A/M14 I figured out something really cool about my CMP 1911 pictured above. Since this information seems to be less commonly known I figured I would share it here.
If you look closely on the frame of the 1911 you will see etch marks A.O.71. I assumed this was done by some officer along the way that wanted to put his initials on the pistol and the year he carried it. It turns out that this is in fact special markings made by the Marine Corps Armory in Albany GA 1971 when the pistol was overhauled by the Marines. So, while the pistol is marked US Army (Which all government 1911A1a were), it was (as of 1971 and maybe from the beginning) actually carried by the Marine Corps. Because all of my brothers were/are Marines this makes the pistol even more special to me.

As stated in Lee Emersons book: "M14 history and development" on page 89

"The engraved circle or letter O found on some M14 receiver heels means that rifles so marked went through depot level overhaul by the U. S. Marine Corps. Depot armorers at the Marine Corps Logistics Bases (then Depots of Supplies) Barstow, CA and Albany, GA marked overhauled M1 Garand rifles on the flat surface behind the rear sight with O-65, O-66, and O-67. The two digit number in the marking referred to the calendar year of the overhaul, e.g., 67 meant 1967.
The practice was continued with depot overhaul of M14 rifles. M14 rifles overhauled by the U. S. Marine Corps were marked O-69 in 1969. By at least 1970, the marking was changed to a four alphanumeric character code, e.g., OB-70. The second letter in the code stood for the depot which performed the work. By similarly marking the M14 receiver heel with the letter O, the rifle would not require disassembly to identify it as an overhauled unit."

Apparently this practice was continued with the 1911s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom