Builds “The Dude”: New Owner w/ Basket Case FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Darkness fell over The Dude… darker than a black steer’s tookus on a moonless prairie night.
966BAF2F-B6DD-4990-9AE5-3D5D70D881DE.jpeg
D11D88E8-EF94-4698-A48C-612E83DAB325.jpeg

New power plant is ready to slap together once my head gasket and rear main come. Head is back from the machine shop, took 15 thou to clean it up and gave it a valve job. Fresh Hastings rings installed into perfectly dingleballed holes. Cylinders look washed out in the pic because of the lube, but I assure you the crosshatching is 👌🏻
97CAC0DE-8C6D-444A-9577-9D6D2249184E.jpeg

09B4A755-8024-4834-87D1-8F5A2377AF01.jpeg

Spot (one of) the problems with the Dude!View attachment 2847547
I suspect Grace has the same issue. I have a twitch on the vacuum gauge. I'm not ready to pull the head yet and he still runs nice. I do get a puff of blue smoke when shifting. The problem is the machine shop is over a hundred miles away and my secondary vehicle isn't up to snuff.

I suspect Grace has the same issue. I have a twitch on the vacuum gauge. I'm not ready to pull the head yet and he still runs nice. I do get a puff of blue smoke when shifting. The problem is the machine shop is over a hundred miles away and my secondary vehicle isn't up to snuff.
The dude ran like ass and had a massive misfire! Yours is probably fine (for now) if she runs fine haha

You didn't even mention that the new motor is the original motor! You're numbers matching now.....

Does this mean you are gonna mount a M60 to your roof rack? That would be freaking awesome 😎

Haven’t thought much about updating this thread, but I’ll humor the folks of mud with a post-Jambo #TheDudeFJ60 update-

The Dude is pretty squared away at this point. I basically just want/need some taller pizza cutter tires (on 70 series steelies?), and at that point the next thing I do is throw a 5.3 and ranger torque splitter in. That’ll be after this 2F dies of “natural” causes.

Before Jambo I threw ARB air lockers in the front and rear axles, and did the dude’s first full knuckle rebuild. I’ve done wheel bearings and a marlin eco seal on one side (side with the OEM seal leaked so bad this time there was gear oil in the locking hub). Took both sides down to nothing this time and did it all. Still need to plumb the air line to the diffs.

ED198E5E-5155-4704-B7A4-0894DA6F58FA.jpeg

Mounted the air locker compressor and winch control under the hood. Still need to heat shield it and connect the winch controller. I’ll do that last minute before a trip. Also went all overlandy with a drawer based sleeping platform (very handy).

4F14FD89-5FB4-4AA5-A0A3-8AE5190E286D.jpeg

Gave the dude a little bit of a tune up before the 600 mile round trip for Jambo and am very pleased with the performance. Idled up anything at 650 or so RPM, still plenty of power with AC on and ate highway miles no problem.

CEAB0CC7-DBE1-4FDA-AEBD-B97F67BD6B48.jpeg

The first casualty at Jambo was my exhaust, which is expected (happens every year), but the second was when my grille fell off! I had bounced into a wall and knocked the corner bezel free enough to let the grille flop off. It fell off somewhere at night, and was never seen again... Until I had them announce that it was missing at dinner on Saturday night, then headed home (because of casualty #2- you’ll see). Half way home my buddy Vince texted me that someone found my grille and he had it in hand! Met him in Houston to receive the goods Sunday.

B2F67AE9-4D92-4ED6-BDE6-071D83295A2F.jpeg

Casualty #2 was my rear window! The cooler was strapped down, and the platform had 100s of #s of gear in it- but it was no match for the dude sending it up trails all day. It eventually wiggled back far enough to pop my hatch, and I didn’t notice it flopping up and down. On a trail back to camp, the window finally gave out. Heavy rain was in the forecast that night, so I threw a Dobinson box over it and went home. Got home at 2:30am and threw a spare window in the next day. I had been meaning to reorganize and apply new stickers, so I guess this was a good opportunity?

006A8300-7503-41A3-91A3-568C0B906EBE.jpeg

Anyways, there’s your semiannual #TheDudeFJ60 update. Should be able to go a few years without touching anything but regular maintenance items at this point. Will update before next Ouray trip in June 🤙🏻

“Natural causes”

You turned the 2F into a diesel and it still didn’t die.

We’re both 2F boys for life. Get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom