Builds “The Dude”: New Owner w/ Basket Case FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It looks perfect! I like the stock look with stance.
Best thing you can do for the sound system is to put copious amounts of sound deadening. I say this because at listening levels while driving is much too loud while parked in mine.
This is true, I’ve just been lazy and 99% of the time my window is down so it probably wouldn’t help much anyways.

I feel like you’re my rusty apprentice.

C9786749-66B2-419B-B637-A9BCD30CA856.jpeg

The dude has been parked since I picked up another Trekker, because the steering is giving me trouble. Anyone have steering box recommendations? It seems to be leaking out of the input. I think theres an o ring there. Will probably try my hand at a rockauto reseal. Would also like a new PS pump because my old one has that crooked pulley and makes some noise.

010767E4-471B-4C8C-95A0-14456A044FB2.jpeg

Things are getting real. Signed up for the LSLC round up, and realized I probably want rock sliders for it. @HemiAlex is coming to the rescue with those, as usual.

A sleeping platform in the back of the Dude would be sweet too, so I can bring things AND have room to sleep.

My PS leak, as far as I can tell, appears to have slowed after I re-tightened my new pressure hose for the third time, but I’m still skeptical of the steering boxes input seal.

I’m going to harass @orangefj45 about ordering a saginaw kit one of these days, but I’m concerned about blowing the box out. I hear the input seal and o ring are pretty easy to replace but can’t find much info on it.

Anyways, that’s an update on the dude. It’s officially the daily again, Trekker is fun as a novelty but can’t hold a candle to the 60!

I really dig the tan trucks. Nice job all around.

In regards to steering box - not difficult, just need the right pitman arm puller. Pop it off while still bolted to truck and the rest is straightforward. Freeze the two delrin seals and some of the o-rings prior to install and you're golden.

The most common leak on the PS boxes is the input seal and o-ring. Takes 5 minutes to change them out once you have the box out of the vehicle. We keep them in stock.

LSLC prep going well. Sliders from @HemiAlex Zeus’d right on. Next step is a power steering pump also from Alex, and Koito headlights (from, you guessed it). LED for high beam indicator still coming in the mail but I can get the Koitos in. Also need to trim u bolts and install trans and t case skid plates after topping off, then I’ll be ready to roll 👌🏻
FFF11741-61DB-46D2-9AE8-25820216DC09.jpeg
C8F333DE-F806-4B30-87AD-477E659D6148.jpeg
943A7883-4A8D-422D-B980-A787BA138CEB.jpeg

Didn’t get a chance to get the Koitos in before I went on a 2.5hr PS pump test run yesterday (great success, didn’t realize how bad my old pump was!).

7ED0CAC5-1881-418F-9792-BEEBB45907EF.jpeg

Still need to trim u bolts and install skid plate. Going to figure out a way to toss the ol hi lift on my roof rack after sliding the rack bars forward a foot and servicing said jack.

Also need to reorganize my tool and fluid setup. It’s a mess after I added in the stuff I kept in a truck I recently sold.

LSLC was a lot of fun, just registered for Toyota Jamboree.

Kicked around the ideas of driving the Trekker and trailering the party runner, but the homies unanimously agreed, “the 60 is gonna shreeeeed”.

Need to take care of a couple things first.

On one trail, I noticed gear oil dripping from a lower knuckle stud. Knuckle rebuild time!

Jambo is the same distance from me as Mason, about 4.5-5 hours. One time on my way to Mason, and one time on my way back, my temp crept up nearly to the point of overheating. I’m hoping a coolant flush, new thermostat, and mechanical temp gauge helps that situation.

Last but not least, I need a new trans! Remember how I lost second gear last time I went to Mason? Well, it happened again when I was pulling into camp after the last trail of the weekend, and second gear hasn’t come back! I think I have a lead on a trans, though.

I would also like a front recovery point, and possibly to make some 2x4 tube bumpers with D rings and winch in front and tire swing out in rear. I want a trasharoo. Lol

Sorry peasants, I’m sleeping on the roof now. Anyone have an idea for making this thing look less nice and new? It doesn’t fit the dude’s vibe. Maybe put a bunch of tacky stickers on it? Distressed tan vinyl wrap?

BCB3BC97-93B7-427E-B00E-6272F763F321.jpeg
FF551825-78D4-4286-AC9E-80973CC3E05A.jpeg
5D443A77-A56C-49DE-A7CD-98721474666D.jpeg

E77C46B7-AA22-4622-9826-F52D528A35D9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom