Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

goof off...

NO!! (unless you're a postal worker)

Installed some more hardware bling.....Stainless Steel from McMaster-Carr.

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

The door hinge bolts are next. At that time, I'll install the rest of @SouthBostonFJ40 brass hinge bushings.

Good thing I took those windshield screws out when I did, they were about rusted/fused in place. If my Vessel 930 Megadora #3 didn't have the wrench location, I doubt those screws would have come out like they did. All 16 M8 screws needed the wrench, and one I had to give a few raps with my BFH to break the rust-weld.

I think the McMaster p/n for the screws is: 90258A316
18-8 Stainless Steel Metric Oval Head Phillips Machine Screw, M8 Size, 30mm Length, 1.25mm Pitch
$8.55 for a pack of 10
That's what I used and they look nice. The 30mm length seems just long enough.

Do you have part numbers for the screws? Especially the window hinge ones - they even look like they have the rounded head!

Thanks looks great!

Thanks. I used the 90258A308 M8-1.25 x 20MM bolts.

As for service from McMaster-Carr, I placed the order Monday morning at 8AM....had a carrier deliver all the pieces by 1PM that same day. I didn't realize we had a McMaster-Carr warehouse in Atlanta. With a 5 hour turn around time, what's not to like. Now that is service! Kudos to McMaster-Carr.

Do you have part numbers for the screws? Especially the window hinge ones - they even look like they have the rounded head!

Thanks looks great!

For the hood hinge, I used the 90258A288 M6-1.00 x 20MM pieces. If you want 12 of them, PM me your address and I'll send you a set. I'll also throw in 12 90900A030 countersunk external-tooth lock washers as well. All that for a blind Smile & a silent Thank You.

It must be pretty painful to remove the old bolts...
Even more painful is not to have a nice reproduction Toyota mat in the floor of my rig.....One day my friend, one day. ;)

I'm bagging all those old Toyota bolts up and labeling the bags accordingly. Down the road, when I get a wild hair, I may have them cleaned, plated and then reinstall them. At least for now, I've cleaned the threads and the stainless won't rust, or that is the thought anyway.

Did a little maintenance and some upgrades yesterday. Not knowing when it was last done, I drained and replaced the gear oil in the front and rear differential. Used up almost all my crush washers, time to order another batch. Good to keep those in my stock items.

Also, I finally got around to install the @SouthBostonFJ40 brass bushings for my doors, "Thanks Alex!". Goodness, what a difference those new bushings make!....Highly Recommended. The doors swing very smooth now. When I reinstalled the doors, they received new stainless steel bolts.

Here are a few photos.

IMG_2989.jpg

Worn out door bushings:

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

The new stainless steel hinge bolts:

IMG_2995.jpg

I did the bushings on mine too-nice aren't they?

Yep, they are N-I-C-E and smooth. Here is a photo I just took. This shows how close my touch-up paint color is to the re-paint that was done in the 90's. Note, this photo was taken a few inches away....:hillbilly:

Oh, and you can see a little brass showing in that photo.

IMG_3015.jpg

Yep, they are N-I-C-E and smooth. Here is a photo I just took. This shows how close my touch-up paint color is to the re-paint that was done in the 90's. Note, this photo was taken a few inches away....:hillbilly:

Oh, and you can see a little brass showing in that photo.

View attachment 1146063

Looks great Rick!!

I have the bushings... But, like many things, I won't be able to do them for a while.

Jeez, I should put you guys on commission.

So after you chimed on on my thread I had to check yours out. Wow nice work. Keep the pics and part #'s coming. I will eventually need to do 90 percent of what you have done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom