Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rick, did you have much trouble removing your hinge pins? I'm hoping to be able to do mine before long, but expect to have to fight with painted-on hinge pins.

Danny - I sprayed them with PB the day before. The hardest part is the initial starting of getting the pins to move up. I first started with a punch, but couldn't get a good hit on it, due to the hinge pins being longer than the hinges and the awkwardness of their location. It would just slip off the end of the pins. Then I took a cold chisel, put the flat side on the bottom of the hinge pin, holding the other end level with the bottom of the pin, I used my ball-peen and whacked the other flat side near the pin. This initially drove the hinge pin up to the bottom of the hinge, then took a longer bolt and used it like a punch. Just a few whacks, and the pins came loose. Note, being that I didn't loosen up the hardtop and move the windshield forward, I wasn't able to totally remove the upper pins. I knew that before I started, hence the blue painters tape.

Advice: For reinstalling the hinge pins, I used the same cold chisel method to hammer the pins back down. Using this method I only scratched the paint on the pins and minimized marks on the door trim. I'm not sure how others have done this, but that is how I did it.

I'm glad to have that done, and what a difference it makes on the door swings and tightening them up.

I finally filled my tank with another 14 gallons of the good stuff, Ethanol Free that is! I'm not sure what type of mileage I'm getting, but it is definitely better than using the RFG, Corn Gas.

I got under my rig today with my pressure washer and sprayed out my frame rails. I think there was a little dirt from states all across the county in there. Prep'ing for the POR-15 on the frame.

Also, I couldn't help myself, the past few weeks I found some nice new yellow-zinc JIS nuts and bolts. I haven't completed my set, but it is close. Here is my plan; for the exterior bolts use stainless steel, for the interior bolts use the JIS metric flange bolts in 10.9 YZN.

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

Also, I'm covering all the threads with some Permatex anti-seize.

I've got to replace those bolts for the Procar seat-to-bracket bolts with some YZN units.

IMG_3089.jpg

Last edited:
X2 on coating all threads with anti-seize except where locktite would be required.

Backed it out of the basement, cruised thru the country side for a few minutes, then parked it, set it on jack stands, and now awaits getting it's under-belly rubbed with some paint. Then it will sit for a while for the paint to cure........It is also getting a face lift as well!

Here are some pic's:
IMG_3118.jpg

This I can't stand:
IMG_3122.jpg

Thanks to @Chungas Revenge for the rattle can paint color, I've got some of the interior pewter color pieces out for painting as well. The battle ship gray just wasn't doing it for me, so out they came. I'll post up some progress pic's this weekend.

Oh, finally got the last of the JIS yellow zinc bolts to finish out my set. One of the nice things that come in handy are the M6 & M8 fender washers.
IMG_3133.jpg

To me, your thread is a fun one to watch. The improvements you're doing are ones that anybody can do. You don't need body work skills, welding skills, paint skills, etc.

Now I will say that it does help to start with an awesome looking 40 like you have, but the improvements you've been making lately would improve the look and function of any cruiser. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks! Took a while to find the rig I wanted, but was patient. And when I found what I wanted, I pounced on it!

Yea, maybe I'm glad I don't have a welder! BUT.....I've got my eyes on a Miller 211. ;)

Oh, finally got the last of the JIS yellow zinc bolts to finish out my set. One of the nice things that come in handy are the M6 & M8 fender washers.View attachment 1155073

Where'd you get the yellow CAD fender washers? I've got the @davework set but it doesn't have fender washers... Where'd you snag those?

Yeah, that's one thing I'm disappointed with. I wish that expensive kit came with the larger washers.

Where'd you get the yellow CAD fender washers? I've got the @davework set but it doesn't have fender washers... Where'd you snag those?
Yeah, that's one thing I'm disappointed with. I wish that expensive kit came with the larger washers.

The metric fender washers came from Metric Threaded Products. You have to purchase 200 of each. Being that I purchased in small bulk, the JIS set I made in my post #586 above, I actually have two of those sets.

M6x18 9021-ST YZN Fender Washer #9028206001
M8x24 9021-ST YZN Fender Washer #9028208001

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom