Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Geesh.... you’d think our favorite architect is OCD about his engine bay after reading this!
🤣

I don't know about the rest of you but I am devastated by the state of neglect Rick's 40 is in. Did you see the dust on the steering column clam shell. Disgusting....he should be ashamed.

I'm to blame for the state of his rig. :doh:

I meant to take some photos before I tried to clean the engine compartment. As you can see, even after a mediocre cleaning, there is still Colorado dirt in there.

From a few feet away, it's relatively still nice in there.
IMG_7672.JPG

But upon a closer inspection.....
IMG_7677.JPG

IMG_7676.JPG

IMG_7675.JPG

IMG_7674.JPG

Oh well, I rubbed a little dirt on it, and all is good with the 40!

Can you not quote someone in a signature? Crap.

Thank you, this is going in my signature.

Just to make sure you know, it's a Cheech and Chong reference - you may be too young to know about Cheech and Chong?

Just to make sure you know, it's a Cheech and Chong reference - you may be too young to know about Cheech and Chong?

I do, but it's still funny.

I meant to take some photos before I tried to clean the engine compartment. As you can see, even after a mediocre cleaning, there is still Colorado dirt in there.

View attachment 2423402

View attachment 2423403

View attachment 2423404

View attachment 2423405

View attachment 2423406

Rick ...

MY NOS OEM engine bay cleaning and detail Chemicals and gentle on single stage enamels
are your NoS OEM engine bay detail and cleaning products too ....

We are all into renewIng it to the former pre-SAS glory together as a Team !

:D

image.jpg
C559D365-7408-4332-BA7F-7AF777DA04D9.jpeg
:D

View attachment 2423402

View attachment 2423403

View attachment 2423404

View attachment 2423405

View attachment 2423406

Oh the horror!!!

Love the lamp tops peeking out. The design on those lamps are just so beautiful and to me just like a Zippo they are works of art but still remain fiercely functional. I have an old "Made in the USA" lamp which is in perfect condition and which I use at every opportunity. Also a two plate stove which needs refurbishment. The pleasure of good design and solid build is forever... Ah Land Cruiser too...

Being that I run 32" tires and upgraded my 3rd members to 3.70 gears, my speedometer was obviously off. So after installing the new 3rds, I did a few test runs using GPS speeds vs the OEM speedometer. I took the GPS speed and divided by the OEM speedometer, and that was my ratio for a correction device. For my rig, I ran the speedo up to 40 and the GPS was a 48. The I ran the speedo up to 50 and the GPS was at 60. Thus my calculation were 48/40 and 60/50 which equaled 1.20 as my correction ratio.

I did a lot of research on MUD and found a company out of Sacramento, CA - Commercial Speedometer. Gave them a call, talked to Chuck, and he built me a Correction Syncro box and shipped it out that night. Great guy to work with!!! It arrived 2 days later, and for $85 bucks shipped from west coast to east coast, BARGAIN!.....And let me just say, it is nice knowing that when I'm looking at my Gauge Cluster, my speedometer is actually a useful device now.

Here is correction box installed.
View attachment 1539182
View attachment 1539183

I know it's been a while since this post but do you remember if you installed an o-ring or anything between the synchro box and the speedo housing? I'm tyring to install mine now and the threads are bottoming out before it snugs up flush with the housing. Now that I'm typing this maybe that felt pad that came with the driven gear kit would work? Also, how did you tighten that brass nut? Or did you just go finger tight?

I know it's been a while since this post but do you remember if you installed an o-ring or anything between the synchro box and the speedo housing? I'm tyring to install mine now and the threads are bottoming out before it snugs up flush with the housing. Now that I'm typing this maybe that felt pad that came with the driven gear kit would work? Also, how did you tighten that brass nut? Or did you just go finger tight?

I used the thick felt washer/pad and no O-ring.

The brass nut is as tight as I could get with an open end wrench & screw driver. That is with the wrench at a 90 (+/-) degree angle to the nut & screw driver thru the boxed end of the wrench.

Sniper update: I've been driving my 40 most every day for the last few months. Last Friday when I started it, my Sniper's AFR screen initially read "SLOW" (in red) then switched to numbers a few seconds later. None the less, I drove it to work with no issues. Then on the way home later that day, the AFR started reading 9.6 while driving (4th gear & 50mph) and then started running rough. I did made it home, but it was a little nerve wracking. I searched the Holley forums, and really couldn't find the exact issue & remedy. However, one thread said that it was possibly the WBO2 sensor going bad. So I had a back-up, and installed it Saturday. The truck ran fine on the test drive over the weekend, as well as into work this morning.

Question: Has any other Sniper owner's run into this before? If so, what was your analysis and cure?

Looks like @wngrog and you might want to compare notes

Sniper update: I've been driving my 40 most every day for the last few months. Last Friday when I started it, my Sniper's AFR screen initially read "SLOW" (in red) then switched to numbers a few seconds later. None the less, I drove it to work with no issues. Then on the way home later that day, the AFR started reading 9.6 while driving (4th gear & 50mph) and then started running rough. I did made it home, but it was a little nerve wracking. I searched the Holley forums, and really couldn't find the exact issue & remedy. However, one thread said that it was possibly the WBO2 sensor going bad. So I had a back-up, and installed it Saturday. The truck ran fine on the test drive over the weekend, as well as into work this morning.

Question: Has any other Sniper owner's run into this before? If so, what was your analysis and cure?
I recently had the exact same problem also with my AFR eventually sticking at 9.6
I read through the Sniper forums and it looks like my O2 sensor is malfunctioning. To confirm I disabled the closed loop function by going into the Tuning >Advanced>Closed Loop Enable>Press DISABLED and save. If the O2 sensor is malfunctioning the Sniper will use the data from the learn file and your engine should run well in Open Loop. I did this with my engine and it runs fine.

I also read in the forums that there maybe a software/hardware issue with some Snipers that's causing the O2 sensors to prematurely fail. I've already installed two sensors and I'm hesitant with installing another one until I talk with a Sniper tech. I've attempted several times to contact Holley but have been put on eternal hold both times. Per the forums, the fix is to send the entire throttle body to repair the problem.
Otherwise my FJ40 is running well in Open Loop.

I recently had the exact same problem also with my AFR eventually sticking at 9.6
I read through the Sniper forums and it looks like my O2 sensor is malfunctioning. To confirm I disabled the closed loop function by going into the Tuning >Advanced>Closed Loop Enable>Press DISABLED and save. If the O2 sensor is malfunctioning the Sniper will use the data from the learn file and your engine should run well in Open Loop. I did this with my engine and it runs fine.

I also read in the forums that there maybe a software/hardware issue with some Snipers that's causing the O2 sensors to prematurely fail. I've already installed two sensors and I'm hesitant with installing another one until I talk with a Sniper tech. I've attempted several times to contact Holley but have been put on eternal hold both times. Per the forums, the fix is to send the entire throttle body to repair the problem.
Otherwise my FJ40 is running well in Open Loop.

I only changed the WBO2 sensor and nothing on the software settings. Seems like it is running fine now, but I'll remember the "Open Loop" adjustment if it happens again.

Note, I too was put on hold for over 45 minutes.....and I hung up. I did send my Holley contact an email yesterday, but haven't heard back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom