Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Which distributor are you running? Just curious.

Actually I'm running the 1986 big cap dizzy that came with the 2F I had rebuilt and installed in my rig. I sent the Distributor to @4Cruisers to give it a refurbish and a new vacuum advancer upgrade. This was all done in preparation of installing the Sniper.

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6359.JPG

IMG_6364.JPG

Note: I removed the new Toyota points dizzy in favor of the electronic one.

Upgraded the speakers this weekend....they sure sound sweet, compared to the other ones I installed a few years back.

IMG_7050.JPG

IMG_7051.JPG

IMG_7052.JPG

For now, I plugged up the two old speaker locations with some 4-3/4" caplugs.
IMG_7053.JPG

Upgraded the speakers this weekend....they sure sound sweet, compared to the other ones I installed a few years back.

View attachment 2326403
View attachment 2326404
View attachment 2326405

For now, I plugged up the two old speaker locations with some 4-3/4" caplugs.
View attachment 2326407

I see they're Bose, but what number Rick?

I've tried a few (cheaper) speakers but have yet to find anything that I could hear without turning them up to painful levels.

I see they're Bose, but what number Rick?

I've tried a few (cheaper) speakers but have yet to find anything that I could hear without turning them up to painful levels.

Bose 151's (indoor/outdoor)
IMG_7044.JPG

Installed their mounting bracket on these 2" tube clamps - " click here "

Yeah that looks a bit more ‘professional’ than the conduit hangers I used although at least I beat you on $$$ spent! :hillbilly:
Did you use 2 clamps per speaker?

Yep, I spent a buck or two...:hillbilly:

One clamp is all I used, but I do have a 2nd set if needed.

Looking for some sheet metal plugs the other day, I came across Caplugs.com for some lager sizes. I know they are not OEM units, but take a look at their BPF 3-3/8" button plug to use as the gas tank cover grommet 90950-01164. It is tight but could work!

1591105994487.png

My OEM plug
1591106075230.png

Just nasty...."Shasta McNasty", I tell ya! They were a dark oily/greasy mess is what they were.....Yep, thought about the before photos, after I found out the retaining rings were a brass color in lieu of black paint. I was shocked.....That is what happens when I get bored, for therapy I crawled under my rig, and went to cleaning. Got that breather on the axle cleaned up as well and did the rear axle breather too.
Can I ask what you used to clean them? Mine are caked in gunk, and my first step will be hitting them with a scraper..

Can I ask what you used to clean them? Mine are caked in gunk, and my first step will be hitting them with a scraper..

Used the purple degreaser stuff, Purple Power or Super Clean?

Ah man! I could really use a float down the hooch and sip margs at Pauls.

Oh the stories I could tell from being at that place, as well as Hal's! Goodness sakes, those were the times....Paul Albrecht would frequently sit with us and chat. Good Times!

Like most things I've done, I just can not leave well-enough alone. However, For Summer, I like this look better.

View attachment 1254520

View attachment 1254521

View attachment 1254522

View attachment 1254523
@GA Architect , did you drill holes in the top of the windshield frame to install the channel for the soft top? I've got a new BestTop bikini top like yours but haven't put it on yet because I'm not crazy about drilling holes where there aren't any now. Love the way you attached the rear straps, think I'll copy you. Thanks!

@GA Architect , did you drill holes in the top of the windshield frame to install the channel for the soft top? I've got a new BestTop bikini top like yours but haven't put it on yet because I'm not crazy about drilling holes where there aren't any now. Love the way you attached the rear straps, think I'll copy you. Thanks!

The windshield on my '77 has holes across the top, and I modified the Bestop rail to match them. Then I took an M8 tap to the holes in the windshield. When I take the top off again, I'm putting M6 or M8 rivnuts in those holes to make for a more secure bolt-down.

The windshield on my '77 has holes across the top, and I modified the Bestop rail to match them. Then I took an M8 tap to the holes in the windshield. When I take the top off again, I'm putting M6 or M8 rivnuts in those holes to make for a more secure bolt-down.
Oh man... A FIRST! I’ve done something before you Rick - rivnuts already in mine! 🤣

I’ve got the box somewhere in my garage... I’ll look but bear in mind that my garage is not as cool/organized as yours 😉

whatta ya know, just pulled back the weatherstripping and it was hiding some holes on my ‘78 too! Gonna modify the best top and get that on there for the weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom