Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For comparison here are a few pics of the FJ142 I built, I hope you don’t mind the pics in your thread Tony.

426F85B1-9E21-4934-BD7D-A319290CAB40.jpeg
3FB497EE-BF08-4CC3-962E-C169362A6BA0.jpeg
106C9693-05F7-46CC-BCFB-135F856025AA.jpeg
186F27FE-7D15-4A78-B36A-41E9A3D61855.jpeg
E1079EE6-C742-427F-A00B-312DACCC3D04.jpeg

Cheers

Rest up Tony, hope you feel better.

I am working on BM #8. Every one up to that is tacked it. I will pull the chassis out to weld them all up, grind and clean them up.

View attachment 2019951

View attachment 2019953

View attachment 2019952

Cheers
What are you doing here regarding the bottom rubber bushing on the B pillar body mount? This would be my rear cab mount and due to the wider 80 frame there is no way to fit the rubber bushing on the bottom. This is at least what I came across today using 80 series rubber.

What are you doing here regarding the bottom rubber bushing on the B pillar body mount? This would be my rear cab mount and due to the wider 80 frame there is no way to fit the rubber bushing on the bottom. This is at least what I came across today using 80 series rubber.

There was no room initially but the body was raised slightly after some tweaking and measurements. It now fits fine. It's a tiny mount but it works. We used 75 series (large Puck) rubber everywhere except the rad support and the very rear. Same as oem.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the rubber below the mount. A "big" puck might fit but if not "small" puck should fit fine in our case.

Last edited:
There was no room initially but the body was raised slightly after some tweaking and measurements. It now fits fine. It's a tiny mount but it works. We used 75 series (large Puck) rubber everywhere except the rad support and the very rear. Same as oem.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the rubber below the mount. A "big" puck might fit but if not "small" puck should fit fine in our case.

View attachment 2030079
Yes it’s the one your pictured. It’s in the same spot as the 80 series mount. Maybe the Troopy mounts in a different spot giving you a bit more room.

Yes it’s the one your pictured. It’s in the same spot as the 80 series mount. Maybe the Troopy mounts in a different spot giving you a bit more room.

Could be. We also used the rear axle to line up the body to the frame and worked forward from there for alignment. Since you're sort of doing it other way around (I assume?), it might not land in the same spot on the frame as this Troopy does. Or the body mounts are just different, either way.

No rubber puck will be used on the bottom of that one, it simply won’t fit. Still use the sleeve chopped down a little.

Cheers

@TonyP
Hate that you left the 200 group - but this build is great fun to watch. I almost went the 70 series route until the HDJ found me. I really enjoyed that diesel 80 series.....and miss it now!
I'm enjoying your journey on this rig and can't wait to see it come together. Good luck!

@TonyP
Hate that you left the 200 group - but this build is great fun to watch. I almost went the 70 series route until the HDJ found me. I really enjoyed that diesel 80 series.....and miss it now!
I'm enjoying your journey on this rig and can't wait to see it come together. Good luck!

Thanks man. I appreciate it! 👍😃

L92, 6l80e and HF2AV are out for a rebuild now. Sourcing a body man next.

Last edited:
Tony-what’s the floor plan going to be like inside?

Something alone these lines. Not really sure yet. Maybe somewhere between the simplicity of this and Andrew White's Troopy. Kind of a play it by ear thing.

These pics make it look enormous. It's really not that big. Lots of space but not like a cargo van. These things aren't as big as they look in pics.

Something alone these lines. Not really sure yet. Maybe somewhere between the simplicity of this and Andrew White's Troopy. Kind of a play it by ear thing.

These pics make it look enormous. It's really not that big. Lots of space but not like a cargo van. These things aren't as big as they look in pics.

View attachment 2032015
View attachment 2032016

Those are like the standard realtor house pictures. A 5x6' room looks like 15x16. 🤣

Bought another big piece (well two of them).
Just need to wait 10 wks...
🤔
Thanks @c2dfj45

Appreciate the order!

Been thinking a lot about our convo the other night about colors for the Troopy....meeting with a body guy tomorrow. Lol. Might need to decide sooner than later for mine.

No rubber puck will be used on the bottom of that one, it simply won’t fit. Still use the sleeve chopped down a little.

Cheers
Only because I have the bottom rubber I may try to shave it. May not work but the Febest rubber were cheap enough to discard if it doesn’t work.

Only because I have the bottom rubber I may try to shave it. May not work but the Febest rubber were cheap enough to discard if it doesn’t work.

I thought about doing that as well but it think it would just make for a rub point.

Cheers

Finally had time to catch up on this while returning from LCDC - it’s looking awesome! It’s also gotten us thinking about an older cruiser.

You should bring it to next year’s event!

Floor plan. I like it that the L track is running above the seating area.....seems easier to use. Mine is on the floor and honestly I've only used it once or twice. Like the wood floor as well. A laminate would obviously be lighter weight which may be where you're headed anyway. Not sure of the seat height but you'd want it high enough to be comfortable. I can get you a measurement. I went higher on the counter opposite the seating area. I did lose some window view but still enough to let in some light. I like it higher so you can work from the counter top while standing but I guess if it was lower you could work from a seated position. I'd think long and hard about giving up the space for the stove setup. I'm using a coleman duel fuel and the couple of times so far that the weather was so crappy that you didn't want to cook outside the stove can be set up on the countertop. Worked well enough. 99.9% of the time the stove is set up on the trax table. If you're considering the Alucab awning (and you should) you should mount it before you put on the top.......MUCH easier install I can imagine.

Keep up the momentum. You're gonna have a super sweet truck.

I just completed the LHS of my storage (part bench, part fridge, battery and electrical storage) in folded aluminium.

Weight is around 32kg, sits around 520mm wide and 1840mm long, total around 480mm high, all constructed in 3mm laser cut aluminium sheet.

The bench is too tall to sit on with the roof closed. It was built at that height to work in the fridge over the inner wheel arch, while keeping the unit the same height front to back. With hindsight, it would’ve been nice to have a slightly lower bench, but with the roof open, it’ll be much more comfortable to sit on than a lower bench.

How useful all the storage is remains to be seen.

Still got to build the RHS units, relocate some of the battery management systems to the RHS and think about how I line all the trays and drawers to stop everything clattering around on bumpy roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom