The 2H/12H-T/1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Gturbo Alternative Tech Thread (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Performance aside, is their build quality sufficient enough that one would expect a long service life and not be worried about grenading chunks of aluminum into the engine?

Short answer, I’ve not put enough km’s on one to personally recommend them . I don’t recommend things I haven’t thoroughly tested myself. But from ones I’ve seen others fit, run them within their design limits and they’ll have a decent life expectancy.

Like anything, there are the odd lemons that will fail early, same goes for some big brand turbos too.

If you compared for example a ufi to a mamba under the same operating conditions, the UFI would last longer.

I’ve tuned a few mamba setups and used kinugawa parts while experimenting. There are small differences between them and the genuine components they’re modeled off, not always noticeable by eye. It’s not uncommon to find small casting imperfections in the housings, which can usually be corrected.

I’ve also fitted and tuned turbos from UFI, turbo care, Gturbo, garret, mhi and ihi. Comparing mamba to say a UFI is a bit like comparing a Ford falcon to an Audi Both build to a price point .

Mambas can/will make good power but Usually need a bit lower afr/more fuel for the same spool and power of a similar power rated more expensive turbo . It’s the little details that count, the 1%ers . That’s where you have to decide what you want, how much you want to pay and what you consider good value, if that matters to you. If the mamba fits the budget and performs as you want then your winning.

THX for the input - the Mamba is in a price range I would buy a new turbo at the moment, maybe a bit more but not the 2500 for a gturbo ....

Hi, looking for a mild low budget upgrade for my 1hdt I decided to go with the 17204-17040 1hdfte turbo. Picked up one cheap on gumtree. Had a damaged compressor wheel, but otherwise it is in great shape (no axial play, 75 microns radial, turbine Is in great shape, housings are also good with no cracks etc.).

I plan to purchase:
- melett major rebuild kit part number 1500–322–755 (139$ )
-KTS billet compressor wheel KTS p# 2603C (115$). 2603C
-compressor housing (either purchase a Supra 7mgte housing, mamba adapter housing or machine adapters for the 1hdfte housing or machine my current ct26 housing to fit the new compressor wheel)
-balance turbine shaft along with the new compressor wheel

I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right track before I went forward. Specifically is the kts wheel appropriate or should I consider another option given that I need to modify or buy a custom compressor housing either way? KTS, mamba and kinugawa make some alternate wheels that would fit with customization but i am not interested in testing out unproven configurations.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Hey mate,

So my only feedback would be that if you add up the cost of parts, machine work and balancing you’re probably getting very close to the price of a Mamba core/front housing (about $800aud delivered IIRC). Unless you specifically want to go down that path for enjoyment I probably wouldn’t recommend it as a “money saving” option.

Was actually thinking one of these might suit you....

You can get different size/types.

They are made in Taiwan, I’ve bought a couple and while I haven’t actually driven them yet the quality does seem really good (for the price).

I have access to a machine shop, so that is just time/materials for me. Mostly i want a proven configuration that will be reliable, build boost earlier and maintain it at somewhat higher rpm's than the stock CT26. I do realize now that all the parts end up adding up (atleast i picked up the 1hdfte turbo for only 50$).

A turbo is next on my list to do for upgrades..
I am really considering one of these for my rig.

now what supported mods do I require before bolting this turbo on.
what do you guys recommend?

inter-cooler?
injection pump mods?

I already have a upgraded 3" exhaust, heavy-duty valve-body and torque converter I have a EGT guage, wide-band AFR needed for tuning?

A turbo is next on my list to do for upgrades..
I am really considering one of these for my rig.

now what supported mods do I require before bolting this turbo on.
what do you guys recommend?

inter-cooler?
injection pump mods?

I already have a upgraded 3" exhaust, heavy-duty valve-body and torque converter I have a EGT guage, wide-band AFR needed for tuning?

That's a very large, top end HP turbo. To get the advantage out of that you would want an upgraded injector pump, aftermarket airbox and a very large intercooler. Personally for stuff from Mamba I'd look at a TD05H 18g, it will still have good drivability with your auto but can still make very good power if you want to do all the supporting mods later on.

Hey mate,

So my only feedback would be that if you add up the cost of parts, machine work and balancing you’re probably getting very close to the price of a Mamba core/front housing (about $800aud delivered IIRC). Unless you specifically want to go down that path for enjoyment I probably wouldn’t recommend it as a “money saving” option.

Yeah I firmly went down the rabbit hole trying to revive a T25 turbo. Whilst it was actually a working turbo it had fair bit of play and the compressor wheel had seen its life so I wanted to replace that and rebuild it with a 360 thrust bearing. I pulled it down and found the bearings had been spinning in the housing and worn it a bit. I tried new bearings but they were a loose fit. whilst reassembling it I broke the exhaust seal and had to order another new kit. After I'd ordered that my GFs puppy pulled the turbine shaft off the bench and bent it.

So I ordered a new CHRA. That turned up and had some problems, it didn't seem to be machined quite concentric so the wheel could touch the compressor housing, there was also what I felt was an unreasonable amount of play. After waiting a month to get the thing I got my money back.

Early on I got a Mamba billet compressor wheel which I believe was made by KTS, super nice piece but it was about 0.5mm larger than the original and really needed the compressor housing spun up in a lathe to enlarge it a bit. It left darn near no clearance to the compressor housing and touched in every combo I tried.

After all that I rage quit and did what I should have done in the first place, just went a bought a new Kinugawa TD04l-13t for not much more than I spent on the T25 which was still junk. The Kinugawa actually had a genuine MHI Japan CHRA with Kinugawa and Holset housings. As a bonus it was going to be way easier to fit given its housings are designed to be rotated and still accept the actuator.

I'm not saying it's not possible to revive an old turbo on the cheap but go into it eyes wide open. With quality new turbos being so cheap now it's hard for even a colossal tightarse like me to see the value in reviving old junk. Mamba does cheap 1hdfte chras with the compressor housing, I'd probably look at that.

Ok, I am holding off ordering the rebuild kit and compressor wheel until I fully disassemble the turbo and clean it all up. Given that there is zero axial play and only 3mils radial (like almost new for a floating bearing), I don’t expect to see any of these issues.

Are mamba wheels made by KTS? One of turbo shops I spoke to said to go with kts as the machining was inferior on some of the mamba/ kinugawa wheels they had received.

Mamba also makes a rebuild kit for about 1/2 the cost of the melett one, but I really wasn’t sure of quality/repeatability of the kit coming from China. As an engineer who has manufactured out of China I have found the quality can be very good but they are sometimes prone to changing small details without telling you. At any rate, I have a good 1hdfte core so will proceed with it unless I find something wrong with it.

I still could use some advice on the compressor wheel selection. Has any one here hybridized a 1hdfte turbo? Should I go with the stock billet replacement or something larger?

I can't say for sure that my wheel is made by KTS but it came in exactly the sort of box that KTS use for "unbranded" stuff and they have a wheel in their catalog that matches mine. The only part that says any brand is the Mamba sticker on the box.

That was a good 3ish years ago now, all sorts could have changed since then.

I used a mamba rebuild kit with 360 thrust bearings in my 7m hybrid. It's not been on long but seemed like decent quality. Also used a mamba compressor with extended tips. Can't compare to the original supra wheel since I never ran it.

KTS also makes a 10+0 with 50/67 inducer/exducer p#2646c. this would be closer to a TD05 18G. Would require machining the compressor housing, but i will probably be doing this anyway. Also an 11+0 in the OE dimensions is shown as well. What do you think?

That's a very large, top end HP turbo. To get the advantage out of that you would want an upgraded injector pump, aftermarket airbox and a very large intercooler. Personally for stuff from Mamba I'd look at a TD05H 18g, it will still have good drivability with your auto but can still make very good power if you want to do all the supporting mods later on.

On top of injection pump mods Is there aftermarket injectors out there?

On top of injection pump mods Is there aftermarket injectors out there?
Gturbo does as do others. Go to them for your injectors and turbo and know that your good. I have personally seen mambas burn up with less than 50k kms on em. Your risk but for me, I'm doing nothing or gturbo.

No personal experience with them, but the Mamba turbos have a few years under their belt now.
This thread is 5 years old, with no real negative rap for the mamba gear that I've seen.
That says quite a bit in my mind.

They still seem to be a good low dollar upgrade
My Mamba has about 15,000km on it. I had the turbo apart to install a 12blade exhaust wheel to replace the 9 blade. Upon inspection of bushings and thrust washers things still looked new. Running 24psi at the manifold post intercooler. Mamba TD05-18g hybrid CT26. 11blade compressor extended tip

9BBA1D1E-F15B-498D-A602-61D0D39B9ACD.jpeg

4B8709F0-5693-4F58-AF8A-00B9882B7774.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom