Tall skinny tires (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hold it right there, I know of some tall skinies for the beloved fj40. Yes, its a "street tread" pattern ,but let me say they've done their job very well on jagged rocks, cactus, sand, and shrubs out in the southwest deserts. Very quiet on the roads and they perform just as well, or even better, than the previous aggressive tires that i had while rock crawling

If you want to go bias ply for a 16in rim:

KENDA LOADSTAR

Ive got the Kenda Loadstars on mine and they are great for a bias ply. Highly recommend them and they come out to 32in in total diameter.

These here are 16in bias ply as well. Ive not tried them.

ASTRO TIRE

Here is a 16in Radial tire. A bit pricey
Radial Tire

Lastly, Here is a 15-inch rim tire that doesn't have aggressive tread:

KENDA LOADSTAR 15-INCH

they were excellent for the 2 miles from tire shop back home 😬

honestly didn’t seem any louder at freeway speed than previous A/T tires. Upgrade in size (+4” diameter) was noticed because turbo spooled boost at lower RPM than before but car wasn’t any slower because of said turbo.

I can measure them tomorrow to get a more accurate diameter.
CJK, how many miles have you put on the tires and do you still like them so far?

Anyone seen this size? Toyo makes an AT3 in 35x11.5x17 in a C rated tire. It isn't cheap, but would be a nice tall skinny.

Anyone seen this size? Toyo makes an AT3 in 35x11.5x17 in a C rated tire. It isn't cheap, but would be a nice tall skinny.
I have had thus brand tire. I like it. Was great off and on road. Too loud for my 200 but would be a great size to try on some FJ Cruiser take off steelies.

Mickey Thompson Baja Boss comes in a 255/85r17. pretty much a 35x10x17

I have had thus brand tire. I like it. Was great off and on road. Too loud for my 200 but would be a great size to try on some FJ Cruiser take off steelies.

that is the wheel I run on my fj62, and since it is already a relatively narrow wheel, a tall skinny tire would fit the bill!

CJK, how many miles have you put on the tires and do you still like them so far?

I really like them so far. I’ve only put a little over ~1K miles on them. Much the same reason I went towards an AT rather than MT, most the mileage has been pavement getting to the outdoors, with some miles of fire road and trails to camp.

35x11.5x17 Toyo AT3.

Crazy how quiet they are (compared to the Yoko MT)

I think this is a nice balance between skinny and not too skinny, and is right around 34.5 inch tall, considering the fact that Toyo does usually measure pretty true to size.

9427B81C-9052-4716-A4E2-0383684F300D.jpeg

1E7936C1-8790-40D3-830F-C5F3D0648DF1.jpeg

If anyone wants a nice set of Yoko MT in a 35 inch flavor, p.m. me

The tread with itself is a little bit more than 9 inches, and the Yoko I took off had a tread width of about 10.5 inches

Just installed my 235/85/16 Yokohama Geolander MT's. I put them on at the same time as a 2-1/2" Dobinson lift with variable springs. During my test ride I noticed a float that reminded me of when I needed caster correction on my previous truck with a 4" lift. I did not expect to need anything like that with a 2-1/2" lift so I wanted to know if this could be the tires. I have never had tall skinny's like this so I wasn't sure how much they might move around.

Who is willing to try this brand out? Only have about 9k on my Maxxis else I'd give it a go. 35x10.5r15 MTRs. Their site lists it as a 35x10r15 but the part number says 10.5. Either way, interesting option. If no one has tried them out by the time my maxxis are done, I'll give them a go. So far I've seen one person from a Jeep forum buy and mount, but it went to a dead end.

mudhog35x1250r174ver6.png

Who is willing to try this brand out? Only have about 9k on my Maxxis else I'd give it a go. 35x10.5r15 MTRs. Their site lists it as a 35x10r15 but the part number says 10.5. Either way, interesting option. If no one has tried them out by the time my maxxis are done, I'll give them a go. So far I've seen one person from a Jeep forum buy and mount, but it went to a dead end.

I saw these, and thinking of running them on Tina, my patina project 40. She ain’t perfect so she may as well sit on 35s and go “wheelin”

I've got them in my cart on eBay to put on my spring over '71. I told myself no more 40 parts until I sell my Polaris SxS, too many toys.

I had that exact tire on my LR Disco II when I sold it. I didn't have a ton of miles on them but I was pleased with both on and off road performance. I don't recall them being particularly loud either. Got them at Sam's Club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom