Tall skinny tires (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so much variance in the real world - what width rim? how much weight on that corner? what's the psi? all the apples are oranges.
I doubt they will be as undersized as BFG gets away with.

Don't think of 255/85R17 as a tire's diameter but rather a category. You'll never achieve the manufacturers specifications unless you are running the maximum pressure (80 psi in this case), no weight and measured at tallest point (usually the center of the tread). A load E tire filled with 40psi and carrying 6k lbs measured at the tread's shoulder will certainly be less than manufacturers specifications.

These arrived recently. 35x11.5R18 Manufacturer spec is 34.76" diameter. Here it is unmounted with zero PSI. I think it'll measure 34.76" with 80 psi....

IMG_0377D.JPG

Last edited:
Here’s the first pictures and actual measurements I’ve seen on the 255/85r17 trail boss a/ts mounted up.

From the link:
“The website says they weigh in at 64 lbs and I can confirm that is the case, and when not on the vehicle they measure around 34.5" in diameter but once installed it is more like 34" of true diameter, even at 46 psi in the tires”

E7FBCFD7-1026-4815-8DD1-268807938017.jpeg

BA038F3B-9293-4A0E-BDC8-354AC7DFABD1.jpeg

Here’s the first pictures and actual measurements I’ve seen on the 255/85r17 trail boss a/ts mounted up.

From the link:
“The website says they weigh in at 64 lbs and I can confirm that is the case, and when not on the vehicle they measure around 34.5" in diameter but once installed it is more like 34" of true diameter, even at 46 psi in the tires”

View attachment 2693456

View attachment 2693457
Thank you for finding this

From the link:

View attachment 2693456

View attachment 2693457

Anyone tried stuffing this tire into the 80 series' spare tire spot? I expect it won't fit by a sliver, but if someone has tried and succeeded, that'd be good to know.

Doubtful anyone has had a chance yet. The tire very recently hit the market. I called my local tire shop a few weeks ago and they didn’t even see the tire In their system. The shop is not a Mickey Thompson dealer by can usually get any brand.

Those M/T Baja Boss A/T’s in 255/85 seem like exactly what I’ve been searching for.
It doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of wheel options for us besides TRD Pro wheels as it seems like most 17” rims are 8.5” wide.

34.24” diameter tire should stuff into the stock location. Site lists these as 34.6” and i imagine mounting them on a 7.5 -8” wheel will reduce diameter by at least 0.5”

Those M/T Baja Boss A/T’s in 255/85 seem like exactly what I’ve been searching for.
It doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of wheel options for us besides TRD Pro wheels as it seems like most 17” rims are 8.5” wide.

34.24” diameter tire should stuff into the stock location. Site lists these as 34.6” and i imagine mounting them on a 7.5 -8” wheel will reduce diameter by at least 0.5”
I had a pair of MT's once.......worst tires I have ever owned. They wear very uneven, to the point of unsafe on wet roads. Saw the same problem on multiple sets on trucks of all sizes.

• Sad
Reactions: CJK
For me, the dream would be if Dunlop started selling the Road Gripper tire here in the States. They do a 225/95R16 which equates to about a 33x9, so a proper pizza cutter. Just gives that classic look to a Cruiser. I have found a source to import them but I bet the DOT would have a fit if I got caught with them.

View attachment 2731969
I have these Tire Size | LT235/85R16 Retread Extra Grip M/T | Tire Recappers - https://www.tirerecappers.com/tires/mud-terrain-tires/lt23585r16-retread-extra-grip-mt/
They are great climbing rock and slick clay roads and hills and mud over hard ground. Really cool vintage look to them. Acceptable on the beach. Not so good in bottomless mud where you need High HP and flotation. Noisy on the highway. Cheap to buy with free shipping and military discount if you're eligable. .................Unfortunately they only have them in 32" and not 33"'s or 35". I still surprise people with what my BJ73 will do with those small tires(albeit I have lockers front and rear).

I have these Tire Size | LT235/85R16 Retread Extra Grip M/T | Tire Recappers - https://www.tirerecappers.com/tires/mud-terrain-tires/lt23585r16-retread-extra-grip-mt/
They are great climbing rock and slick clay roads and hills and mud over hard ground. Really cool vintage look to them. Acceptable on the beach. Not so good in bottomless mud where you need High HP and flotation. Noisy on the highway. Cheap to buy with free shipping and military discount if you're eligable. .................Unfortunately they only have them in 32" and not 33"'s or 35". I still surprise people with what my BJ73 will do with those small tires(albeit I have lockers front and rear).

There is no way I'll buy these tire in 2021 !

These are way too loud on pavement, rubber way too soft to the point emergency braking is terrorizing and speed rate probably sligtly over 70mph. I hade Bridgestone Jeep Service tire in the past (which look similar) and asside of the cool looking factor, there is no advantage to get these. I'll bet they wear very bad too.

Last edited:

These are way too loud on pavement, rubber way too soft to the point emergency braking is terrorizing and speed rate probably sligtly over 70mph. I hade Bridgestone Jeep Service tire in the past (which look similar) and asside of the cool looking factor, there is no advantage to get these. I'll bet they wear very bad too.
Then you shouldn't buy them if you want modern ride comfort/quiet on the highway, 40K plus tread life, and need your LC to handle and grip the road like a set of BF goodrich radial all terrains.

Are modern radial MT tires quiet? I thought all MT tires either drone or whine on the highway.

If you want to try a skinny aggressive mud tire that is: radial not bias, has great traction off road on rocks and slick mud, is a standard truck size/easily replacable, is fairly durable(mine have 10K miles and more than 1/2 tread left), has a vintage look for your older LC, and is inexpensive. They aren't bad. They are noisy on the highway, but I don't drive more than a few hours on the highway in a day. Speed rating on my tires is absolutely a non-issue on my BJ73. I drive conservatively because of what I drive. I've slammed on the brakes before and yes it reminds me of driving a older vehicle without ABS, but it is to be expected. On more than one occassion I have outperformed jeeps with modern radial mud terrain tires in 33"-37"X12.50 sizes on slick mud and rock. The only thing that sticks me is bottoming out.

All depends on what you are wanting to do with your cruiser. Could be looking cool, could be wanting good off road traction, could be a good sand tire, or could be one for the highway, or an all rounder. The loudest tires I have ever experienced on the road were BFG KO2 MTs. I have Kenda 35x10.5R17s R/Ts which work for me as a good all around tire for what I do. Emergency braking in a 70 series and being terrorized has a lot more to do than what tires you are running, especially at 70 mph. Whole lot of things at play at that scenerio.

Reactions: CJK
Rode the trails in Uwharrie this afternoon after some significant rain. Slick red clay and Rock with significant rats Dug out by others over the weekend. This is the type of condition skinny mud tires like my extra grips do well in. I went in running 30 PSI Street pressure and conditions were quite challenging. Dropped to 12 PSI and manage to get through everything.

IMG_20210719_190542.jpg

IMG_20210719_190507.jpg

IMG_20210719_190449.jpg

IMG_20210719_181458.jpg

Last edited:
Took a chance on the M/T 255/85R17s but they are in fact “tall and skinny”.

I just ordered the wits end spare tire lift bracket so I’ll test fitting it into the spare location as soon as that arrives (hopefully this weekend).

previous tire was a 275/70 so not much skinnier than I was used to seeing on the car.

2222973D-A3AA-468F-83C4-C0AE7C7EA81F.jpeg
22FC66B3-B2F4-4176-97EB-AA3FB8F492D0.jpeg
7C24B4E1-741E-4C8A-A9CB-6E99D4D22F55.jpeg

I just ordered the wits end spare tire lift bracket so I’ll test fitting it into the spare location as soon as that arrives (hopefully this weekend).

previous tire was a 275/70 so not much skinnier than I was used to seeing on the car.

View attachment 2745136View attachment 2745139View attachment 2745140
How do they ride and handle? I’ve recently been eyeing that tire for a road/winter tire for my 40.

Also, how they measure up while mounted?

How do they ride and handle? I’ve recently been eyeing that tire for a road/winter tire for my 40.

Also, how they measure up while mounted?

they were excellent for the 2 miles from tire shop back home 😬

honestly didn’t seem any louder at freeway speed than previous A/T tires. Upgrade in size (+4” diameter) was noticed because turbo spooled boost at lower RPM than before but car wasn’t any slower because of said turbo.

I can measure them tomorrow to get a more accurate diameter.

Those are M/T's? No disrespect intended, but that's the mildest M/T tread I've seen. It looks to me to be an A/T tread which is probably why they're not any louder than your previous A/T's. Also, both M/T's & aggresive A/T's run the quietest when they're new, so enjoy the silent period for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom