Talk me out, or in, new to LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I am new to Land Cruiser, but the J80 has been a dream since I was a kid. I like the sturdy design and reliability. But the overinflated price of JDM especially in California, have always kept me afar.

I did not plan on buying one but I saw a deal on a Lexus version (non-locked) that has a repaint and looked reasonably clean. How is the market on this, not BAT but in real life, think beat up but no significant rust from the picture, non modified, 3-4 owners, and the interior is ripped. I have seen some in similar condition here and there on Cl that sold around 7-10k is this reasonable?

Currently, I have a one-owner Volvo 740 wagon that was quite the turd but does well on mpg. I am a mechanical engineering student in Southern California [USA] and I am mechanically inclined, but I really do not like changing fuel pumps over and over again as I did with the Volvo, or blowing up and left stranded in the Range Rover Classic... that is why when I saw the running /driving land cruiser with a heater I got a little excited. I know the mpg sucks for these things, probably even worse than the range rover I used to own (15mpg), so talk to me about your ownership and why/why not I should buy this...

If I were to purchase this, it will be replacing the volvo. On average I drive 3 times a week and go on road trips to UT some times.

Also, anything particular (DEAL BREAKERS) that I should be looking for on one of these?

Thanks for all the help.

Tiger

J80 has been a dream since I was a kid

so talk to me about your ownership and why/why not I should buy this...

I got a little excited

Relax. There's plenty of landcruisers to go around. If there were 10 to choose from, would you choose this one?

Don't buy because you're excited by the idea of a dream car.
But because it makes sense and there's logical justification for it.

Having said that, I think a lot of us have Landcruisers because they are a dream car, and we find all sorts of ways to justify the shìtty fuel consumption, the thousands of dollars spent baselining/ doing overdue maintenance, or replacing 30 year old parts, repairing previous owner's sins or shìtty mods, or just upgrading things.

Relax. There's plenty of landcruisers to go around. If there were 10 to choose from, would you choose this one?

Don't buy because you're excited by the idea of a dream car.
But because it makes sense and there's logical justification for it.

Having said that, I think a lot of us have Landcruisers because they are a dream car, and we find all sorts of ways to justify the shìtty fuel consumption, the thousands of dollars spent baselining/ doing overdue maintenance, or replacing 30 year old parts, repairing previous owner's sins or shìtty mods, or just upgrading things.
Or we realize the 5-year cost of owning an Audi makes the issues attendant to a 30 year old Land Cruiser seem small? But yeah, the gas mileage is really bad.

Here’s my advice…buy a nice, used Honda civic or Toyota carolla. 4 cylinder, five speed manual. This is what a young man working his way through college should be driving.

There will be PLENTY of time in the future for you to get a Cruiser. Both of my Cruisers are old, and they take a lot of time and money. Cruiser parts are expensive, the gas is expensive and my time is expensive.

Don’t get a beat up inexpensive Cruiser…it’ll cost you way more in the long run.

Last edited:
How long, in California, will you legally be able to own a Land Cruiser? Also, with a smog check every two years, you're going to be likely chasing codes to make sure you can pass. Each fill up will be $120+. And it will probably be stolen multiple times. When you're established and independently wealthy, buy a really nice one.

Currently, I have a one-owner Volvo 740 wagon that was quite the turd but does well on mpg.
I also love older Volvos and the 740, as long as it is the 4 cylinder, is a good commute option and gets good mpg. It is built to last and sure you might have to perform some maintenance it is generally low cost vs the longevity.

I just sold a 2000 V70R and regret it so I am looking to either get another V70R or get a 740 or 240 wagon for my commuting because they are odd but they are fun, economical and a conversation piece. My 80 is an awesome rig but they are two different lifestyle choices. Seeing you are in college I would suggest, as others have, to wait till you graduate and settle into a life and career before taking this on. These truck are great and well made and they inevitably will create many memories but they are also approximately 30 years old and will require time and money which when I was in college were in short supply.

If you do choose to purchase the LX450, please post pictures and details prior to purchasing so people here can assist with possible roadblocks or concerns the truck may present.

Drive that old Volvo 740 while you are in school.

Once you graduate and get a job treat yourself to a cruiser (money flowing in from a job vs out for school).

Hi All,

I am new to Land Cruiser, but the J80 has been a dream since I was a kid. I like the sturdy design and reliability. But the overinflated price of JDM especially in California, have always kept me afar.

I did not plan on buying one but I saw a deal on a Lexus version (non-locked) that has a repaint and looked reasonably clean. How is the market on this, not BAT but in real life, think beat up but no significant rust from the picture, non modified, 3-4 owners, and the interior is ripped. I have seen some in similar condition here and there on Cl that sold around 7-10k is this reasonable?

Currently, I have a one-owner Volvo 740 wagon that was quite the turd but does well on mpg. I am a mechanical engineering student in Southern California [USA] and I am mechanically inclined, but I really do not like changing fuel pumps over and over again as I did with the Volvo, or blowing up and left stranded in the Range Rover Classic... that is why when I saw the running /driving land cruiser with a heater I got a little excited. I know the mpg sucks for these things, probably even worse than the range rover I used to own (15mpg), so talk to me about your ownership and why/why not I should buy this...

If I were to purchase this, it will be replacing the volvo. On average I drive 3 times a week and go on road trips to UT some times.

Also, anything particular (DEAL BREAKERS) that I should be looking for on one of these?

Thanks for all the help.

Tiger
Buy it, work on it (don't pay someone else to work on it), learn from it, put it on your resume, and drive it to your job interviews and explain to them what you did, how you did it, then show them by driving over their Tesla.

If it doesn't work out, you can always sell it.

Only install Toyota parts on it for reliability and all that.

How long, in California, will you legally be able to own a Land Cruiser? Also, with a smog check every two years, you're going to be likely chasing codes to make sure you can pass. Each fill up will be $120+. And it will probably be stolen multiple times. When you're established and independently wealthy, buy a really nice one.
Come on it’s not that bad and it not about California!!

Here’s my advice…buy a nice, used Honda civic or Toyota carolla. 4 cylinder, five speed manual. This is what a young man working his way through college should be driving.

There will be PLENTY of time in the future for you to get a Cruiser. Both of my Cruisers are old, and they take a lot of time and money. Cruiser parts are expensive, the gas is expensive and our time is expensive.

Don’t get a beat up inexpensive Cruiser…it’ll cost you way more in the long run.
I couldn't just give a thumbs up. The advice above is rock solid.
I got my LX450 when I was 60. Paid more 'cause it was in excellent condition, though high mileage. But I had 3 other vehicles to drive, almost no work, a 6 car garage and a pent up desire to do a major rebuild to end up with a new 25 + year old cruiser.
I still cry every time I get gas, but smile just thinking about my beast.

You all should check out the red rocket thread in the 70 section.
A young man going to College
One of the best threads on mud.
The knowledge, memories and experience he gains working on his Troopy will last a lifetime.

I've owned 2 80's. Both of them required the cost of the purchase price plus extra, poured into them right after buying,to make them remotely reliable for daily driving. I wouldn't touch a $7K 80 series with a yard stick unless I had another daily driver and a deep financial backstop.

You could be going to the store for a six pack, hear a bang, and find yourself needing a $5000 repair, or you're walking or taking the bus. And you're a long long way from going to Idaho or wherever.

Get out of school, get a job, get a cruiser. You're a rational, cautious, by the numbers guy (engineer, right?) so this is the rational by the numbers decision.

If you were a "yee-haw, hold my beer" kind of Cruiser nut, you would have already bought it and would be asking tech advice on pesky heater hoses and how to stop the leaks from the sunroof.

You all should check out the red rocket thread in the 70 section.
A young man going to College
One of the best threads on mud.
The knowledge, memories and experience he gains working on his Troopy will last a lifetime.

Aaaaand...this is the other side of the coin. Sometimes when you close your eyes, and use the Force, it all comes together.

I've owned 2 80's. Both of them required the cost of the purchase price plus extra, poured into them right after buying,to make them remotely reliable for daily driving. I wouldn't touch a $7K 80 series with a yard stick unless I had another daily driver and a deep financial backstop.

You could be going to the store for a six pack, hear a bang, and find yourself needing a $5000 repair, or you're walking or taking the bus. And you're a long long way from going to Idaho or wherever.

Get out of school, get a job, get a cruiser. You're a rational, cautious, by the numbers guy (engineer, right?) so this is the rational by the numbers decision.

If you were a "yee-haw, hold my beer" kind of Cruiser nut, you would have already bought it and would be asking tech advice on pesky heater hoses and how to stop the leaks from the sunroof.

Good summary.

I've had 2 80s and a 105. They've all been treated harder than many do, and looked after better than most. Not abused, but used. Ridden hard, put away wet.

Each of them has needed major repairs at some point. Big costs, lots of fish time.
They all spent big extended chunks of time off road while i diagnosed issues, sourced parts, and found time to repair them.

If you're young and keen, willing to work on them yourself, and got spare time and a decent income, go for it.

I think for me, a cruiser barely makes sense, but I love the one I have now. Love driving it, love getting out and about in the bush with it. I like doing little projects that make it mine.
I just don't have time to do all the things i want to or need to.
And, there's smarter things to use the money for.

The fact you even have the bandwidth to think about buying a car, much less an 80, while a student ... I say go for it.

YOLO

What's the worst that could happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom