New LC owner - Florida (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone
As of September 28th 2023, I am now an owner of a 1996 LC :D
A little backstory on the car.
  • 217k Miles
  • Clean title
  • Florida only
  • 3 previous owners
  • No lockers
  • Doesn't look to have frame rust only some surface rust due to age but minimal.
The car was stationary for years but was occasionally turned on to warm it up and make sure the battery doesn't die.
I was initially in the market for a 1st gen tundra or a 3rd gen 4runner. Neighbor has a t100 extended cab that he doesn't use. Those where my options. I'm more familiar with the tundra as we own an '04 with over 500k miles as a work truck.
I'm also a 90s JDM guy so basically the guy who loves the 2F2F movies heh. Imagine me going from that scene to the LC world.

Saw this LC up for sale and I was the first person to show up (Sellers work schedule made him available after 11:30pm)
Test drove, inspected frame and body, asked owner questions. Felt really good I had no prior knowledge on any LC.
Set up a 2nd meet with seller this time during the day. Spent prior days researching as much as I could using the forums and YT for what to look out for. Mostly I wanted to know what in the world is a Land Cruiser o_OWanted to be a better informed buyer.
Purchased the vehicle and with title in hand drove it home.
The 15 minute drive was amazing. Shifted smooth, couldn't hear any grinds or weird noises.
Idk if it's just me but the car was attracting multiple eyes haha. I don't really see many LC out here but I'm guessing those that know, know.

With that being said, thanks to all the users throughout the years for the information shared. Looking forward to my ownership of the LC. I'll try to post some more pics and try to update as I go.

20230928_160549~2.jpg

Screenshot_20231003_224813_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231003_224746_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231003_224849_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231003_224824_Facebook.jpg

Some interior pictures, I plan on removing the carpet to pressure wash with enzyme solution. I have it on hold because I don't know if I would need to buy new sou d deadening.

The sunroof is leaky, I can see the water drip down from the A pillar to the handle on the windshield. I think that's why the carpet has brown spots from all the moisture. I went ahead and put some tape over it. I keep the car covered for now but the tape looks to have helped.
What has me a little worried is what I would find underneath the carpet.

Screenshot_20231003_224759_Facebook.jpg

20230930_155508.jpg

20230930_175317.jpg

The wood trim around the interior is cracked and aged. I read that it was a dealer option, and that underneath it should be the original plastic that has been protected for years.

Shoutout to cruiser outfitters, I called to inquire when they would get a knuckle rebuild kit w/ koyo wheel bearings back in stock. OTP was confirmed that they do have 2 more and the store page was update as such. Got lucky.
Fortunate timing that the Toyota parts store had a 25% sale on all OEM parts last week. Got me some brake rotors, pads and other parts.

My brother and I spent 2 days cleaning the engine bay as much as we can with some degreaser. Being careful with electronics. Not a professional detailing but that savings will definitely go to parts and a slightly more cleaner work space.
New engine oil and filter.
Still planning w/ my brother how to tackle the coolant flush.
Aside from the knuckle rebuild, I'm doing some research on every valve and vaccum replacement. Found a few posts and a diagram I'm attaching. I think it's best to replace as many hoses now. That or I can do some vaccum test but I'm fairly inexperienced on that.

Weather stripping is really expensive. When I use part# from partsouq it says there are cheaper options but from Japan or UAE, though shipping makes them way more expensive. If anyone knows where I can get some strips please lmk.

I spent a 1.5 weeks researching how to DIY knuckle rebuild. Only thing is I don't have a jack. I'm fairly confident I can do this job. My father tells me I should just take it to our mechanic, but I know fixing these things is like every LC owners rite of passage. I have mostly all the tools aside from the jack.

system_vacuum.jpg

Attachments

• SideBySide (1).pdf
    105.5 KB · Views: 18
:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:
Get that bank account empty now!

Welcome

(above is the old-skool Mud welcome)

where in florida are you
I'm located in Miami FL,

Update: cleaned up the engine bay a bit with my brother. I've been driving around my block just to check the temp and oil pressure (all clear).
Will be taking it to a shop for a compression test.
Got a combustion leak tester kit and tried it (about 5 times) and didn't didn't get a positive as far as I can tell. Checked to make sure the blue liquid works by using the exhaust fumes so it works.
My only concern right now is the smell of gas fumes when the car is on. That smells stays on your clothing. The picture attached was in the morning at cold start so more than likely condensation. This was probably the most I've seen coming out from the exhaust. When I'm driving behind it I notice just a little bit. At a stop it's more noticeable but not as exagerated like the cold start.
When the car has been warm and driven you won't see the smoke or its just barely visually notocable yet the smell lingers.
Anyhow I've got lots of things to check out. Such as the CC, fuel filter, fuel pressure reg, the entire PCV and intake area, EGR. So many things haha.

IMG_20231010_005212.jpg

IMG_20231010_005226.jpg

Screenshot_20231010_010809_Photos.jpg

Forgot to mention that I replaced the air filter and the negative terminal. When I turned the key I had no power at all. Battery terminal made a noise with a little smoke. It had a little screw in between the contact point and was extremely loose. Changed it up and car turned on woo.
The old one was in very bad shape and missing a chunk(how is that even possible)
I have an OEM positive terminal but haven't got to it because it looks to have lots of wiring and I have never done it before. Looking to buying a spare fusible link as backup.
OBD2 scanner shows nothing but I'm thinking since I had the negative connection off the computer will have to re learn stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom