Talk me out, or in, new to LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I say don’t listen to any of these old, rich, crotchety bastards who have experience, knowledge, and solid advice. They’re probably sitting in rhino-leather wingback chairs, smoking cigars worth more than your most expensive engineering book bought online. In fact, they probably have mechanical engineering students writing their MUD posts for them.

Where’s the risk and sense of adventure? Don’t wait until you’re better off. You might never make it. You’re in California after all. They might give your domicile to a bum.
**** all the sage and rational advice; I say go for it, full throttle, balls to the wall, but don’t compromise, and only you know what that means.

I say don’t listen to any of these old, rich, crotchety bastards who have experience, knowledge, and solid advice. They’re probably sitting in rhino-leather wingback chairs, smoking cigars worth more than your most expensive engineering book bought online. In fact, they probably have mechanical engineering students writing their MUD posts for them.

Where’s the risk and sense of adventure? Don’t wait until you’re better off. You might never make it. You’re in California after all. They might give your domicile to a bum.
f*** all the sage and rational advice; I say go for it, full throttle, balls to the wall, but don’t compromise, and only you know what that means.
Please explain "balls to the wall".......

Please explain "balls to the wall".......
Not this time satan! This is a family site after all.

IMG_1410.gif

Hi All,

I am new to Land Cruiser, but the J80 has been a dream since I was a kid. I like the sturdy design and reliability. But the overinflated price of JDM especially in California, have always kept me afar.

I did not plan on buying one but I saw a deal on a Lexus version (non-locked) that has a repaint and looked reasonably clean. How is the market on this, not BAT but in real life, think beat up but no significant rust from the picture, non modified, 3-4 owners, and the interior is ripped. I have seen some in similar condition here and there on Cl that sold around 7-10k is this reasonable?

Currently, I have a one-owner Volvo 740 wagon that was quite the turd but does well on mpg. I am a mechanical engineering student in Southern California [USA] and I am mechanically inclined, but I really do not like changing fuel pumps over and over again as I did with the Volvo, or blowing up and left stranded in the Range Rover Classic... that is why when I saw the running /driving land cruiser with a heater I got a little excited. I know the mpg sucks for these things, probably even worse than the range rover I used to own (15mpg), so talk to me about your ownership and why/why not I should buy this...

If I were to purchase this, it will be replacing the volvo. On average I drive 3 times a week and go on road trips to UT some times.

Also, anything particular (DEAL BREAKERS) that I should be looking for on one of these?

Thanks for all the help.

Tiger
Yes, that seems like the going price these days. You're right about the MPG. It will be 13-15 max. How many miles on those three drives per week that you do? If it isn't a lot then the LX 450 could be worth a look. I bought mine 2 1/2 years ago for $5500, no rust and 200K miles. It had a bad power steering pump, so that was an immediate issue to deal with. This is a common problem with the FZJ80. In two years after purchase I only put 2000 miles on it, but then this past summer we added that many on a 10 day road trip. Shortly after returning home the fuel pump died. Other than these two things the only "repairs" needed have been deferred maintenance plus tires. Of course, all those things add up. I probably have close to $9K into the beast by now.

Deal breakers? Beat up from hard off road use or a blown head gasket, I guess. Since the one you're looking at is not modified-a big plus IMO-it's unlikely to have been thrashed off road. If the PO has painted the OEM wheels black or swapped them out for aftermarkets I would look to negotiate the price way down. :bounce:

Show us some photos of the one you're looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom