Talk me off the ledge. Thinking about selling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CarcaineProblems

GOLD Star
Threads
I have an 5.3 LS swapped (Proffitts) 1991 80 with 160k miles on it. It’s absolutely beautiful and everything is dialed in. Rebuild transfer case, full float axles and Eaton lockers build by @orangefj45. Really too much to list from the sound deadening, stereo, rack, bumpers, disc brakes, lights, new windshield, rims, tires, suspension, bushings, and on and on. Cruises at 80 on the highway and is a joy to drive. I would guess I have $70k into it? (With no expectation to get it all back)

I haven’t driven it in weeks because it’s sloppy and wet out here. They put mag chloride or salt $*!% on the roads and I refuse to drive it when it’s wet. It’s too nice to have it eaten away. I can’t bring myself to having this turn to junk.

So I am contemplating a new a Sequoia that I really wouldn’t care if it got beat up. Anyone own both? Own a sequoia? I’m not into wheeling but want to go camping and plow through snow.

Appreciate the feedback.

IMG_0945.jpeg

Nice for sale ad. Maybe post this in the ad section? :)

Looks like a beautiful rig and the fact that you've had the work done by such reputable shops should help with the sale.

I've always regretted selling every land cruiser I've sold, and I'd say hold onto it.

(I currently own an 80 and a 200 and use them as intended).

Last edited:
You won't drive in either snow or rain? That's quite limiting.

If you otherwise enjoy driving this beast, my vote would be to keep and drive as you want/need anytime. Just fluid film and/or wash the undercarriage regularly during winter. Rain in itself won't cause an 80 to rust out.

OTOH, since it's built for purposes you don't apparently plan to pursue, it would sorta make sense moving this on to someone else who would. Yeah, sell it and buy a rig you wouldn't mind getting dirty, salty and beat. A new Sequoia-No doubt a nice ride but wouldn't be my choice.

Very nice rig for sure. I have a White 96' with 260k on the speedo and have thought about finding a lower mile unit but I have slapped Dynamat in the whole interior, Harrup lockers, a Prinsu rack, ARB & winch, Rear swing out, Slides for fridge and stove as well as ARB Mid Height drawer, baseline upon baseline upon baseline of every system, Suspension, Delta radius arms, and the list goes on and on.

What I am really conveying is keep the 80. Say this phrase out loud. "I do not want to sell the 80." Say it out loud again.

1703696935829.png

Salt sucks and you have made a good decision not to expose her to the salt.

That said I do not think a Sequoia is the answer. Sequoias are pricey, quite a bit larger than an 80 and lifting them limits the resale market for that vehicle. There are a lot of mildly used four door cab Tacoma's out there that can be bought relatively in expensively. Tacomas are well engineered, some have optional elec. rear lockers, they are closer to the width of an 80 and there are lots of people looking for a used Tacoma with a leveling kit or slight lift! My thought recently has been to buy an aluminum bed like a Norweld and purchase a 80k to 100k mile Tacoma. Outfit the bed with fridge, rooftop tent, etc. and only add a bumper and winch to the truck as well as tires/wheels (which can be swapped to a newer truck easily). Then about every three years put the pickup bed back on the truck and sell it and just transfer the flatbed to another slightly used Tacoma. Put my time and money into the flatbed modifications and add ons and move that bed from Tacoma to Tacoma. Use a product like Salts Gone to flush the frame and wash it down a few times a year and update trucks every few years.

I had a first gen sequoia and even with it being 2wd with no lift and stock size all terrains I was quite comfortable taking it off road. Only ever got it stuck once and that situation would have had my cruiser stuck also. I ended up getting myself out after about 8 hours of digging the huge rut out of the super steep road with a fold up shovel. I loved the sequoia for hunting and camping and kind of quit driving my cruiser when I got it. I am also looking for a sequoia to replace my 4x4 21 tundra with. I don't like my 21 tundra as much as the clapped out 03 sequoia and that's saying a lot.

I would say if you're wanting to purchase something else because you have yourself a garage princess then a sequoia is a good rig. Not much for aftermarket, but they're roomy, quiet, comfortable capable...as long as you're a good driver and they're great for the basic camping and exploring. However they aren't s cheap vehicle for the 2nd and 3rd gens and you may end up liking it as much and end up in the same situation.

So you have 70k into it, and you won't get all that back. Doesn't make any sense to me to sell it. You have to just start driving the thing. I fail to see how you wouldn't be bothered by driving a brand new vehicle on salty roads. Fluid film it and enjoy. Everything on this planet rots away with time. Even new stuff. Mind as well enjoy it before that happens. A sequoia is a very poor trade in my opinion.

Keep it. I just spent several hours spraying COSMOLINE under my mint ‘87 12HT60.
Unknown $$$ spent. Every year I drive thousands of kilometres into the north where I
can breath away from the city and people. I don’t drive it either in winter road salt conditions.
But I won’t sell it. I have a $1000 2WD Tundra that sucks up road salt. In fact I’m just about
to put a lowering kit and air bags on it today. Just letting it dry in the shop. Buy a beater but
keep the Beauty!

You guys are right. Can’t sell this. Appreciate the straight talk

It has been treated with Woolwax, but I still won’t drive it in the slush. Hopefully the cold and snow comes soon

I think I need more garage space instead!

I can boil this down into one question;

Do you have a couple rifles in the back of the safe that have never been fired?

If yes, sell. If no, drive. Thank me.

It has been treated with Woolwax, but I still won’t drive it in the slush. Hopefully the cold and snow comes soon

Jedi Mind Trick worked again!

Check out Salts Gone cleaner and build up some PEX tubes to slide through the frame and flush the frame out.

She is a good looking rig!

Go ahead and sell it, if you're posting you're thinking about it it's too late

Agreed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :lol:

Sell it, you may regret it. Then, can you find an equivelant replacement? Find someone else that's sunk $70k into a similar one?

Don't sell it, and every time you walk into the garage, it'll bug you that it's not getting used and taking up space!

Or, use it and enjoy it! You can't take it, or the $70k (you won't ever get back) with you.

If you sell it, a chunk of that $70k is gone forever. $40-50k gone?
If it sits unused, that $70k is dead money, wasted money. It sits unused for a few more years and you sell, probably more of that $70k is gone, and you haven't enjoyed it.

If you use it regularly and enjoy it, and it gets a bit rusty in 10 years, at least you got some value out of you're $70k. Plus, it'll never be worth zero.

<$7k/ year for a toy you enjoy isn't so bad is it?

All good points. Thanks guys!

If you spend $70k usd on a 25+ year old 80 series, it is a toy, and you have hella disposable income. Do whatever makes you happy. Nothing in this space makes the least bit of sense.

If it's in the budget, I'd say find a nice GX to daily and enjoy the 80 as a weekender/trip vehicle. I don't much care for the current Sequoia. That bloody hybrid battery ruined the storage area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom