Talk me into/out of a Coil Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So linear shocks degrade handling while improving ride comfort?
They just have less support (low speed compression dampening) when you’re in like body roll situations like cornering. Digressive shocks have much more support there so they use digressive shocks on like track cars and such to control the body roll. The linear shocks will give you a much softer feeling ride over small bumps and rough roads and gravel roads because it will let your suspension be a bit more active at the start of the stroke of the shock.

This means more comfort but slightly more body roll. It’s not much by any means but the digressive shocks like ome, Bilstein, Etc will definitely feel harsher and not let the body roll as you turn.

Few cool links to check out about it.

The other thing and this is getting into the nerd side of it. Leaf springs have a progressive spring rate and linear shocks excel with progressive springs

Last edited:
I agree with @dbbowen that doing this swap for $10K is a good deal for somebody.

I go a different route in that I put the 60 body on the 80 roller rather than 80 suspension and axles on the 60 chassis.

When you put the 60 on the 80 roller you wind up with what appears to be a stock 60 with a 2-3" lift while maintaining the stock spring height on the 80 roller. I use stock height Dobinsons progressive springs with OEM 80 series shocks most times. The result is a very well behaved, smooth riding truck. Hands down my favorite truck to date is that set up with a 6.0L and Tremec 4050 5 speed to split case.
Keep in mind that my customers are not running hard trails.

I agree that you can build a leaf spring truck that rides well. Given the choice, I'll go with the coils. Being able to swap out coils with relative ease and dial in just the ride you want is a huge selling point.
This was my original plan but I already LS swapped my 60 and didn’t want to do it a second time. Probably should have done the frame swap first and then the LS swap

I've decided to keep it Leaf Sprung for now. Considering my build will have a bunch of unknown issues and I'll have a million questions, adding the complexity (and cost) of switching Axles and suspension is above my pay grade at the moment. Taking off the existing leaf-sprung parts and essentially just replacing them with new parts will keep the number of headaches and problem-solving to a minimum. I also came to terms with the fact that I've been driving my 62 with crusty, clapped-out suspension since I bought it 6 years ago. New leafs, shackles, bushings, and shocks will undoubtedly make it rides 10x better.

This was my original plan but I already LS swapped my 60 and didn’t want to do it a second time. Probably should have done the frame swap first and then the LS swap
Spot on. I did digressive on my 40 for the handling bc it’s short wheelbase. Used it this am when a Camry merged into me on interstate. Real pucker moment.

Planing on linear fox 2.0’s with OMe or dobbins medium duty for the 60.

I've decided to keep it Leaf Sprung for now. Considering my build will have a bunch of unknown issues and I'll have a million questions, adding the complexity (and cost) of switching Axles and suspension is above my pay grade at the moment. Taking off the existing leaf-sprung parts and essentially just replacing them with new parts will keep the number of headaches and problem-solving to a minimum. I also came to terms with the fact that I've been driving my 62 with crusty, clapped-out suspension since I bought it 6 years ago. New leafs, shackles, bushings, and shocks will undoubtedly make it rides 10x better.

This is smart. A well set up 60 series actually drives really really well with new springs, good shocks matched to the application, and all new steering components and adjusted steering box. Honestly, the only reason im doing the coil swap is to have the links to lock in my axles into position before i throw a good bit of power at my motor. The leafs allow a little sway in the bushings, and with my stock 5.3 right now its fine, but with more power it might get a little squirreley down the road. The plan is to do power last, and do suspension and beefier trans first. Seems like the responsible thing to do hah

Spot on. I did digressive on my 40 for the handling bc it’s short wheelbase. Used it this am when a Camry merged into me on interstate. Real pucker moment.

Planing on linear fox 2.0’s with OMe or dobbins medium duty for the 60.

Fox 2.0s are prob the best shocks you can put on a 60 imo without spending money on radflows or kings. Youll like it a lot. I like to nerd out on suspension tuning on my FS mountain bike, and its bleeding over into the cars. Ironically its all very very very similar.

This is smart. A well set up 60 series actually drives really really well with new springs, good shocks matched to the application, and all new steering components and adjusted steering box. Honestly, the only reason im doing the coil swap is to have the links to lock in my axles into position before i throw a good bit of power at my motor. The leafs allow a little sway in the bushings, and with my stock 5.3 right now its fine, but with more power it might get a little squirreley down the road. The plan is to do power last, and do suspension and beefier trans first. Seems like the responsible thing to do hah

Fox 2.0s are prob the best shocks you can put on a 60 imo without spending money on radflows or kings. Youll like it a lot. I like to nerd out on suspension tuning on my FS mountain bike, and its bleeding over into the cars. Ironically its all very very very similar.
I'm actually a mountain bike suspension nerd too. I have several mountain bikes and have been riding for 25+ years. I raced fairly high-level DH for almost 10 years and I'm pretty picky about suspension on all my bikes. Because of this, one area I'm willing to splurge a little on suspension is shocks, I'm even considering Hydraulic bump stops to add a little more adjustability.

I'm actually a mountain bike suspension nerd too. I have several mountain bikes and have been riding for 25+ years. I raced fairly high-level DH for almost 10 years and I'm pretty picky about suspension on all my bikes. Because of this, one area I'm willing to splurge a little on suspension is shocks, I'm even considering Hydraulic bump stops to add a little more adjustability.
Haha i raced amateur level enduro for a few years before we had a baby. Im the same. Im on fox factory now, but have had Push coils an EXT. I love having adjustable high and low speed compression and rebound on the bike. To get that on a 60 is $$$$$$$$$

f70e2761e28cc9805f5306ccfe3cf2d7 - Copy - Copy - Copy.png

Matt, it sounds like you made a good decision for yourself. We all should go with what we feel comfortable with. I have a four link coil rear suspension on my Fj40, using defender 90 coils. It rides great and performs extremely well on the trail. it was a big engineering/fabrication project that I did when I was younger, but I could not do it these days, since I am older, and my body is crankier.
My front leaf springs are 4 inch skyjacker soft ride, and I had to experiment with a couple of different leaf configurations to balance the ride. I ended up removing the shortest leaf from the pack. Good luck with your build.

Have you looked into parabolic springs at all? I don't know much about them, but they're supposed to improve ride quality over traditional leaf springs. Terrain Tamer is now making them for 60 series Cruisers, too. Seems like it might be worth checking out as they may offer a nice compromise for your situation.

Has anyone here daily driven a coiled 60? I’d like to gear feedback n this.

My 60 suspension everything replaced. 2.5 “ OME, dobinsons shocks, Steering as well, 80 box, steering shaft joints, tie rods etc knuckles etc. It’s pretty good. We use it daily for everything and while it’s old tech. Once it’s replaced there isnt much to do.

My 60 suspension everything replaced. 2.5 “ OME, dobinsons shocks, Steering as well, 80 box, steering shaft joints, tie rods etc knuckles etc. It’s pretty good. We use it daily for everything and while it’s old tech. Once it’s replaced there isnt much to do.

Which dobinsons shocks did you choose?

I’ll grab the numbers off the shocks this evening. In the middle of a C channel installation and taking a fawkin break. That’s the worst job ever.

Which dobinsons shocks did you choose?
Not asking me but I bought the Dobinsons IMS shock. I replaced my OME shocks that were stiff as a board and installed in 2010 with the 2" lift. The Dobinsons shocks are way beefier and heavier then the OME I took off. They also feel way better.

Have you looked into parabolic springs at all? I don't know much about them, but they're supposed to improve ride quality over traditional leaf springs. Terrain Tamer is now making them for 60 series Cruisers, too. Seems like it might be worth checking out as they may offer a nice compromise for your situation.

I've never heard of these, I just watched a couple of videos. Color me intrigued... Any Mudders have experience with them?

I daily drive a TT front coil, rear leaf setup. The ride does not feel that much different from the original iron man leaf, ome shocks i had before, but there is also less weight on the front with the ls3.

What tires are you running and does it track straight on the highway? Would you do it again or stay stock ? What does an ls3 weigh?

My 60 with clapped out everything was friggen terrible. 12ht up front which is a hunk of metal as well.

I have 31s on stock rims, michelin ltx. I had to put caster plates to get caster to around -2 degrees. its great on the highway. i took it for a 2000 mile road trip recently. not sure, but guessing the connect and cruise package sheds ~200 lbs, maybe more

overall i am happy with the coils and feel it was money well spent

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom