T-case shift knob, 1975 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ … and @63FST can (maybe) get you the H2-H4-N-L4 shift pattern sticker to put on it

Yea, what are you doing with that shift knob?
I’ve been using them on 40’s and 60’s since 1982 and have never had a shift knob failure! Others probably longer?

This could be the first time it has ever been mentioned!
What a strange run of crummy ones I've had then. Makes me wonder if they are genuine oem or only packaged as such. Yes, 3 of em wrecked in 3 or 4 years. My '76 didn't come with one either. I'll definitely loc-tite my next one.

Double checked, here are thread sizes for the 40 series shifters.

Three speed and four speeds are 10X1.25
Five speed is 12X1.125
Transfer case is 8X1.25 up to 8/80. 8/80+ is 12X1.25.

60 and 70 series are 12X1.25. not sure if the 70 series ever changed. I have a few transfer case shifters later than the split case and that are the same.

The early transfer case and PTO knobs are more robust that the ones used thru most of the seventies. Not that easy to come by because they were replaced when the US started getting manual shifter transfer cases and really not that many early PTOs around. These were bakelite with a metal insert for the thread. Also used a locking nut.

1000000592.jpg

If the threads are stripped out in the knob I grease the shifter threads with vaseline, then make a 2 part epoxy or JB weld mix and get it into the knob hole, and then put the knob back on to the shifter and let it totally cure. Later you can actually unscrew the knob because the vaseline is a release agent. Works for all sorts of stripped out threaded knobs, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom