T-case shift knob, 1975 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All- I've been thru 3 of the OEM $40 shift knobs for my t case in 3 years. They all suck and don't last long. The first one stripped out, the second split up the side and the 3rd one has stripped out also. I sure as hell won't buy another one but need to have a knob. Do you think that some epoxy on the stripped knob would solve the issue or will that just wreck the threads on the shift lever? Any better knobs or solutions for this?

My searches never bring any results here, so please connect me with any threads on this issue. Thanks!

Hey All- I've been thru 3 of the OEM $40 shift knobs for my t case in 3 years. They all suck and don't last long. The first one stripped out, the second split up the side and the 3rd one has stripped out also. I sure as hell won't buy another one but need to have a knob. Do you think that some epoxy on the stripped knob would solve the issue or will that just wreck the threads on the shift lever? Any better knobs or solutions for this?

My searches never bring any results here, so please connect me with any threads on this issue. Thanks!
Welcome to the site. I've never had that problem. There's a search function in the upper right side of this section.

Welcome to the site. I've never had that problem. There's a search function in the upper right side of this section.
2 issues in my post - a shift knob and searches. So I go to the 40 forum and search? I've tried the search function here many, MANY times and had no results. Either I am an idiot, or the search function sucks, or both entirely possible

Below is the 1st thread that comes up.

Thankyou. That link just leads me to sale page? I'll take another scroll thru it after this. I think perhaps i've hit on a grail for me - a thread that hasn't been pursued much on here on MUD (according to my searches). I guess I am probably looking for some after market knob that is more durable than OEM. My OEM knobs are simply threaded plastic that don't last more than a few throws into 4L. Yes, I am the finesse sort of shifter. Well, I have the thread pitch, so if I find something suitable, I'll follow up here. Do you think OEM shift knobs originally had a steel threaded sleeve? Seems pretty hokey to me with just the plastic threads? Cheers, thanks for your minute

I see it now. The turtle shift knob. Interesting. thanks again

Here's some additional info on the shifters and threads as well. I've be driving 40s since the 80's and never had issues with the transfer case knob, other than the top cap come off of one.

Last edited:
It’s a standard M8x1.25 thread pitch for which affordable taps are readily available. Drill and tap something unique and make your own.

You will find the whole experience so empowering that within weeks you’ll embark on your own frame-off! 😛

Curious how hard is your transfer to shift? Not a common problem. 8/80 the 40 series and new 60 series used a larger thread for the transfer case shifter. Possible a nutsert with the two different threads could be used. Lock tight the smaller inner thread and just tighten the knob. Depending on the month in 75 may just be able to use a 40 series 8/80+ four speed shift lever.

Top two on the lug wrench the two different types.
IMG_2810.JPG

8/80 and later 40 series and 60 series.
PXL_20231208_200706073.jpg
PXL_20231208_200650148.jpg

are you or someone else using that knob/lever to film onlyfans vids? im on the same knob i put on 10 years ago.

Last edited:
That small knob is overpriced in the USA. Can get it from Amayama cheaper. I may draw something up in CAD if you all want to 3d print your own knobs. Can use a threaded brass insert or just a blind hole that can be tapped.

Here's some additional info on the shifters and threads as well. I've be driving 40s since the 80's and never had issues with the transfer case knob, other than the top cap come off of one.

That inspires me to try one more oem knob. I try to stay original on everything. I'll use some loc-tite if i go this route.

Maybe more money than you want to spend, but you could convert to twin sticks for the transfer case. More direct/positive-feeling linkage, the ability to use 2WD low-range, and heavy-duty aluminum knobs that are not going to crack or split.

IMG_0699.JPG

Im just curious, Is the late model 60 tcase shifter the same as the trans shifter?

Curious how hard is your transfer to shift? Not a common problem. 8/80 the 40 series and new 60 series used a larger thread for the transfer case shifter. Possible a nutsert with the two different threads could be used. Lock tight the smaller inner thread and just tighten the knob. Depending on the month in 75 may just be able to use a 40 series 8/80+ four speed shift lever.

Top two on the lug wrench the two different types.
View attachment 3512884
8/80 and later 40 series and 60 series.
View attachment 3512898View attachment 3512897
Thankyou! Nutserts have been my friend on the 40. I'll check that out! A larger knob would maybe be nice too. As for difficulty of shifting to 4L, it seems easier than my 76 was and about average for the few other rigs I've played with.

Thankyou! Nutserts have been my friend on the 40. I'll check that out! A larger knob would maybe be nice too. As for difficulty of shifting to 4L, it seems easier than my 76 was and about average for the few other rigs I've played with.
Check out my post #1,502 < click here >

Went from this OEM FJ40 knob:
1703119337269.png

To this FJ60 knob using a shift knob reducer/adapter:
1703119361281.png

Get a stainless steel nut. Screw it part way on the shaft. Heat it up with a propane torch - push your plastic knob on carefully paying attention to the alignment and hold it in place until it cools.

+1 for make your own knob - turned burl wood, Damascus, 40mm cartridge case....

"HERE" is what I ended up with. Simple cheap sturdy solid ball with an M8-1.25 brass insert and I've got spares since they come in a pack of 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom