Synthetic Rope (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that 'Cheap' and 'Good' don't always go together, but does anyone have experience with the lower priced synthetic ropes?

I'm looking for 3/8" x 100' for my Warn 8274. This is NOT a primary vehicle recovery winch. More of a utility winch, since it's mounted on a portable carrier (mounts in a 2" receiver hitch). And because of that, I want to keep the weight down as much as possible.

Even thought the roller fairlead is brand new, I may swap it out for an aluminum hawse. Again to keep weight down (this sucker is heavy...)

Any recommends?

I have both. My Viking line is hands down an obviously better line than the Smittybilt line I have. But, it gets the job done. I try not to overload it and I am a little more careful around sharp bends with it. I don't feel like it is wearing near as well. But, at about 1/4 the price, I am ok with a bit of sacrifice.

I don't know that I would depend on it in a jam. But, for day to day just pulling stuff around, the cheap line has been fine.
I would definitely swap to a hawse fairlead. I ran rollers for a while and you really have to keep an eye on them to make sure they are working right and you aren't pulling into the corners too much.

Plus, like you said, way lighter than rollers.

Thanks! I'm looking on both Amazon and eBay, for something. I just can't see spending $400 for a syn rope on a winch not used for primary recovery. If it was something to get me back to civilization, yeah, I'd be forking it over.

I purchased the new Warn roller fairlead with intentions to run 150' of 5/16" steel rope, but after seeing how heavy this is going to be, this old man doesn't want to hump any more than he has to.

Thanks! I'm looking on both Amazon and eBay, for something. I just can't see spending $400 for a syn rope on a winch not used for primary recovery. If it was something to get me back to civilization, yeah, I'd be forking it over.

I purchased the new Warn roller fairlead with intentions to run 150' of 5/16" steel rope, but after seeing how heavy this is going to be, this old man doesn't want to hump any more than he has to.

Let me know what you go with. I'm in a similar boat where I want to get a synthetic rope, but I feel like I may end up using it once every 5 years so I don't want to go crazy on it.

I took steel cable off my 8274 that must have been close to 100-150' and had to have weighed close to 75lbs.....

In similar boat too (hitch mount/portable). Custom Splice has some less-expensive synthetic lines. I don't remember exactly pricing but I want to say it was in the $100-150 range for a 75' or so rope. Was thinking about that, and maybe an extension line to keep the thing light.

Masterpull has a nice sounding one where a thicker rope is heated and stretched , making for a tougher 3/8" line than standard. That's more $$ though!

Custom Splice has some less-expensive synthetic lines.
Just checking their website, and they seem to be 'sold out' of all the 3/8" line. It was a decent price. I may call them tomorrow to see what the wait time is.

Masterpull has a nice sounding one where a thicker rope is heated and stretched , making for a tougher 3/8" line than standard. That's more $$ though!
Yeah. Nice looking stuff. But $305 for 100' of 3/8" syn rope, is way more than I want to spend on winch not used for primary recovery. I'm trying to keep it under $200 for 100'.

When it comes to recovery equipment, whether used frequently or not, I am always in favor of using rated equipment from a reliable source. One way to minimize cost for synthetic winch line is to buy the line and do the end splices yourself. Many high quality synthetic winch lines are made from Amsteel Blue. Amsteel Blue uses Dyneema fibers with a special coating from Sampson Rope. Do a google search for Sampson Amsteel Blue and you'll find it readily available by the foot from crane & rigging suppliers, arborist suppliers, and marine suppliers. I did a quick search and found 3/8" at $2.29/foot. The Sampson Rope website has splicing instructions.

Bump

I already have the fancy whatever Warn synthetic line that came with my 9.5xps but would like to pick up a ~100’ extension.

Any more recommendations/experience for something less expensive?

@MoJ, I picked up synthetic 3/8 80ft from Harbor Freight for an extension line...I think with cupon it was under $100 at the time I bought it.

Reactions: MoJ
I've been using ASR for all my synthetic lines for about ten years now. I've purchased two kinetic ropes, three winch lines, and two extensions. Not an issue with any of them.
One of the winch lines is on a rig I sold. It's had hundreds of pulls on it and still looks great.
Make sure you get the UV sleeve on whatever line you get.

I watched a video to learn how to make soft shackles from synthetic winch rope. In the video, the guy teaching the procedure (an Aussie) tested several different ropes on a huge hydraulic tension machine to verify the strength of his soft shackles. He also used both expensive dyneema as well as the cheap Chinese stuff. If I remember correctly, each of his soft shackles broke at around 26K pounds. Cheap rope and expensive rope broke at roughly the same point. Just to be clear, the knots he tied did not break. The synthetic rope broke.

Reactions: MoJ
Has anybody used X-Bull?

Amazon product ASIN B075KKCNM3
It seems good for the cost and unusually high strength...
And the gray 3/8"x100' is $60 versus the $90 for blue or orange.

EDIT: ...because the hook is not included. But, not a bad deal if you prefer a different hook anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom