Synthetic Rope (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting - the hook was included with mine. It’s not anything to write home about but functional.

I bought one of these cheaper ropes. Be aware of the end/hook splice. Mine was not good imo.
In actuality, if you are using syn, you should be versed in splicing.

And the gray 3/8"x100' is $60 versus the $90 for blue or orange.

EDIT: ...because the hook is not included. But, not a bad deal if you prefer a different hook anyway.

Last edited:
So what's everyone using for synthetic rope these days? I was pretty surprised to see the cost on this stuff.

I've got a Come Up DV-9S with some fraying in the line from debris and such. Went to look at replacing and realized the rope is costing nearly half as much as an entirely new winch. At that rate, I'll keep what I got for a utility winch and just get an entirely new one!

This is about the best price I can find for legit amsteel. Imo if you are paying more than this anywhere, you're getting hosed.
Otherwise you are looking at eBay and Amazon.

I sold off a 53' semi truck load of Marlow Dyneema a few years ago. I still have a few dozen lines that I decided to keep just to have and I use it for all kinds of stuff.

I've used 5/16" and 1/4" ATV sized lines behind a 25K lb Dresser dozer to pull stumps and get my 11K excavator unstuck and I haven't broken one yet. I did some horrible things with the stuff, abuse that would have hurt chains, and the dyneema is fine.

I don't think there's a downside to synthetic if you use your winch regularly. If it just sits forever in the weather and sun then cable is better.

Thanks for the reply.
This is a good read.
Why Choose Dyneema Rope vs Steel Wire Rope For Heavy-Duty Rigging? - https://usarope.net/why-choose-dyneema-rope-vs-steel-wire-rope-for-heavy-duty-rigging/
I sold off a 53' semi truck load of Marlow Dyneema a few years ago. I still have a few dozen lines that I decided to keep just to have and I use it for all kinds of stuff.

I've used 5/16" and 1/4" ATV sized lines behind a 25K lb Dresser dozer to pull stumps and get my 11K excavator unstuck and I haven't broken one yet. I did some horrible things with the stuff, abuse that would have hurt chains, and the dyneema is fine.

I don't think there's a downside to synthetic if you use your winch regularly. If it just sits forever in the weather and sun then cable is better.

This is about the best price I can find for legit amsteel. Imo if you are paying more than this anywhere, you're getting hosed.

That's attractive at <$200 for 100' of 3/8".

Especially considering this is the "best" deal I found @ $340 for effectively the same.

I see YouTube videos on splicing rope. Any specific recommendations for someone that may be buying the rope by the foot as you had linked to and making it work on a winch?

I bought one of these cheaper ropes. Be aware of the end/hook splice. Mine was not good imo.
In actually if you are using syn, you should be versed in splicing.
For what little I've used it, I've done ok with the 3/8" (china?) rope from Amazon. But I've redone all the splices - the way those ropes came in, the splices/loops were a joke. Very little rope of full diameter buried in the return of the loop, and very short tapers.

Appreciate this link, by far the cheapest regular price I have seen for genuine Amsteel Blue. Less than half the price vendors are trying to sell it for in Canada.

Ordered 40ft of 7/16 and some fids to make some soft shackles.

Not to derail the best prices on line conversation, but now that I have a nice new line (Custom Splice had a good sale a while back) I was looking at protecting it. I've been reading mixed reviews on chafe guards on the line. I was wondering who is running one. My though would be mainly on the first 20' or so for UV/debris protection when the winch isnt being used. I know I could get a winch cover, but in the Northwest its a bit wet and I am concerned about breathability of the winch and rust issues.

Not to derail the best prices on line conversation, but now that I have a nice new line (Custom Splice had a good sale a while back) I was looking at protecting it. I've been reading mixed reviews on chafe guards on the line. I was wondering who is running one. My though would be mainly on the first 20' or so for UV/debris protection when the winch isnt being used. I know I could get a winch cover, but in the Northwest its a bit wet and I am concerned about breathability of the winch and rust issues.
i just respooled my winch. i got a length of hydraulic line cover and cut a few pieces. 15' total.

20230214_121819.jpg

Mine came with 15' at the hook end. It also had a sleeve at the drum end.

M8 with XP motor-sm.jpg

i just respooled my winch. i got a length of hydraulic line cover and cut a few pieces. 15' total.

Perfect, that is exactly what I was looking at using. I have 3/8 winch line so I was thinking 1" hydraulic line cover. Do you remember what size you used?

I have the sleeve that came with my Viking line; I don't remember how long it is, but it's not enough to cover the entire outer wrap on the drum of my 8274. It works OK, doesn't bunch up outside my roller fairlead like the sleeve on my other truck winch with a hawse fairlead does.

IMG_0782.JPG

Theres a cover Warn makes for 8274s that will cover the entire winch if you wanted to go that route

I have the original 1978 cover for mine. The elastic bands to hold it on are a bit weak now, and the cover is faded, but it still works using bungee cords.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom