Super-clean 2006 LX470 light-expo-build-thread (1 Viewer)

Sell 100 and continue with 80?

• Sell 100

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Sell 80

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Keep Both

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey MUD,

After spending a couple years funneling money into my HDJ81, I decided that I'd keep an eye open for an exceptionally clean 100-series to add to the stable. I love my 80, but I wanted something modern for crushing highway oriented trips. I think I'll keep the 80 for wheeling, but I'll be moving the Rhino Rack Pioneer and JB RTT over the the 100.

Plans for the build are very OEM-plus. First order of business is paint correction, Xpel film and ceramic coating, followed closely by the 90k service/full baseline. After that, I'd like to clean up the undercarriage (sodablast + POR15??) and then some minor modifications.

Details on LX470: 2006 w/ all options except DVD and NightView. 143,000KMs (89,000Miles), Silver exterior, Grey interior.

Mods planned:

- Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform + James Baroud Grand Raid EVO RTT
- 285/75/16 tires
- 16" Wheels (debating between OEM, SCS F5, TE37x)
- Trekboxx??

This is how she looked the day I picked her up:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

After paint correction, ceramic coating, Xpel film (hood/bumper/fenders/mirrors/a-pillar/above windscreen)

IMG_8354[1].JPG
IMG_8356[1].JPG
IMG_8357[1].JPG
IMG_8359[1].JPG

Installing the Rhino Rack has been a bit of a PITA. Since I have the rear wing, I have to redrill the pioneer platform to mount it forward. I also have to modify the rain gutter moulding/trim, since there's only two spots per side for the factory roof rack, and the rhino requires three. The factory mount points also seem to have a raised rubber sleeve that is glued into the track. This makes me question whether or not the foam/copper washers are necessary on these spots when mounting the foot pads.

More to come!

Just swapped the James Baroud over to the LX470. Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform was fairly straightforward to set up, but didn't need to use the copper/foam washers on the front and rear feet since this LX470 already has rubber mounting pads in those spots.

Unfortunately it no longer fits in my garage (I was hoping airing down + AHC on LOW would make it). I need another 2" of clearance.

TbJktGk.jpg

would the extra sidewall on a 16" wheel give me another 2" of height when I air down?

I really like your plans for your build. Seems a lot like what I plan on doing with my '06.

Good luck on trying to get it to fit in the garage. I'd bet you could get it pretty close on aired down 16's.

BTW, are those headlight washers on the front bumper?

I really like your plans for your build. Seems a lot like what I plan on doing with my '06.

Good luck on trying to get it to fit in the garage. I'd bet you could get it pretty close on aired down 16's.

BTW, are those headlight washers on the front bumper?

Yes, they are. I guess USA-spec 100 series didn't get them? Most 100's up here have them.

Long time no update!

Got some stuff done this past year, including TB kit, CV boots, flushed diffs and t-case with m1 75w90, rear brake job, oil change and sidestep delete. Also bumped up to some 275/70/18 BFG KO2's.

Some pics:
wiugF0M.jpg

px8a4Yq.jpg

Removing everything to get at the TB, cleaned up the throttle body while I was in there.
RV65YOP.jpg

kZD1Yqh.jpg

Surface prepped for some FIPG
K4rCfCq.jpg

Fresh TB!
wwCgvUK.jpg

Cleaning up the carriers
AEbPa1K.jpg

Fresh brake pads and hardware
F2pFozs.jpg

La6DRbr.jpg

Fresh boots!
iS7Dmst.jpg

dmGwDAH.jpg

v6WISzV.jpg

aCdJiLf.jpg

Running board delete + 275/70/18 KO2s

5B6CnTU.jpg

...and then decided to drive from Calgary to Los Angeles with my Husqvarna.
YftIOAB.jpg

VX3ArPB.jpg

Truckstop camping somewhere in California
mdRO550.jpg

Airing down to 16psi on KO2's. Unfortunately they were not as durable as I was hoping and one of the rear tires chunked a bit.
mE3uAX6.jpg

ZAOvPWN.jpg

Drinkwater Flats OHV area
cV5PVcS.jpg

iF59ALi.jpg

Rt7X9qs.jpg

VPf3Lmb.jpg

vG7nUny.jpg

I averaged about 20-22L/100km driving anywhere from 95-120kmh. I might try doing 80kmh the whole way home to see if I can get it a little more economical. I assume the RTT and bigger tires are killing my mileage. The spark plugs have never been changed so that's next on the list. She just rolled over 155,000KMs.

Here's a fun little hillclimb at Drinkwater Flats:

Last edited:
If any mudders are interested - This 100 will be for sale soon. It's a Canadian vehicle but currently located in LA. I will be driving north at the end of march, passing through Oregon and Washington on my way back to Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom