Suggested tools for new FJ40 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm and a couple screwdrivers. You can take the whole truck apart. :grinpimp:

Kroil penetrating oil
Metric ratcheting wrenches
Metric sockets
JIS screwdrivers (Japanese phillips type screws are slightly different so regular phillips can strip them easier)

Side note, avoid aftermarket parts whenever possible. They're more expensive, but OEM parts are often times exponentially better quality and will last longer and just fit where/how they are supposed to.

As stated above, Vessel Philips head screwdrivers for your JIS screws
Amazon product ASIN B000W9KWF2Amazon product ASIN B003BGTTSEor
VESSEL MEGADORA Tang-Thru Screwdriver Set 8pcs. 9308EVA (EVA Foam set/Tang Thru): Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZJ1QZFT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
extra 10 and 12 mm combination wrenches (for when you forget where you left your other one)
Electrical:
Wire stripper, crimper, shrink tube, and assorted connectors, solder iron, multimeter, 12v test light, heat gun...
Assorted JIS bolts, screws, washers (M8 and M6) various lengths. Overland Metric has a nice reference chart with common sizes.

I wanted to see what seasoned owners might suggest as “must have” tools for a new FJ40 owner that wants to be able to work on the mechanical systems.

‘Thank you.

what year new FJ40 do you have ?

27EFBFBA-D391-4613-8735-00CCDB6B13CF.jpeg

As stated above, Vessel Philips head screwdrivers for your JIS screws
Amazon product ASIN B000W9KWF2Amazon product ASIN B003BGTTSEor
VESSEL MEGADORA Tang-Thru Screwdriver Set 8pcs. 9308EVA (EVA Foam set/Tang Thru): Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZJ1QZFT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
extra 10 and 12 mm combination wrenches (for when you forget where you left your other one)
Electrical:
Wire stripper, crimper, shrink tube, and assorted connectors, solder iron, multimeter, 12v test light, heat gun...
Assorted JIS bolts, screws, washers (M8 and M6) various lengths. Overland Metric has a nice reference chart with common sizes.
I bought these bits and use a cheap screwdriver that takes bits or a ratcheting handle
66242469-AE0A-4443-9944-8B276142CF10.png

Channel Locks and Vise Grips. Propane / MAPP torch. Long standard blade screwdriver for carb adjustments. Will also second the timing light with tach and a robust collection of BFHs.

My new favorite tools though are the Torin 2 ton engine hoist and a HF 20 ton press. Next up - drill press.

I might have a problem.

EDIT - forgot - lots of PBlaster and at least a case of brake cleaner, to start. Brake cleaner is the Frank's RedHot of my garage, I use that sh*t on everything...

Last edited:
If your truck is "unrestored" you mostly need a metric tool .....BUT... if someone in the past has fixed something, you would need a full set of SAE tools.
Also if your truck has "some rust in the usual place" you will need a good hammer and heavy duty chisels set, angle grinder, drill :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom