Subwoofer Options... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to upgrade the sound system in my Cruiser (92 FJ80) and I need to figure out my options for a subwoofer. I really don't know much about subwoofers and how they work or how much room they need, etc. to sound real good, but so far, I've figured out a few options.
  1. Put 2 8" shallow mounts in the tailgate facing the back of the rear seats when the tailgate is closed
  2. Remove factory 6" subwoofer and its bracket, replace with a bracket for a 10" subwoofer
  3. Get a subwoofer enclosure for a 10" subwoofer, install behind rear seats with woofer facing tailgate
  4. Get 2 8" and 2 enclosures, put at each side of the rear cargo area w/ subs facing roof
If anyone wants to know, I'm going to be installing 6.5" woofers (not to be confused with subwoofers) in each door in the factory mounting location, and I'm going to be drilling holes at the top of each door panel for 1" tweeters. I will also be getting an amp (or two, I don't know what I will need) and replacing the stock head unit with a Double DIN Kenwood HU. Any help is appreciated... thanks!

Your options are pretty much endless. I decided against going with a sub in the stock location. They sell some fit kits but IMHO a open air sub will never sound as good as good as a sealed or bandpass box. I went with a Kicker CompD in a small sealed 10" in the cargo area. I have it paired with a cxa300.1. It bumps enough for me at this point in my life. Get a good amp, a lot of amp powe ratings are no where near what they claim. I've always had good luck with kicker, jl, alpine.

I've thought about under the seat. But don't have the funds to do it.

From my 91...some cutting required :)

downloadfile-3.jpg
downloadfile-2.jpg

Thanks. It's about 1cf...it's been a while and I can't remember exactly. The box uses the space behind the amp, as well.

Nice, been thinking about doing something very similar and glassing the back of the box, contouring the body...

It's too tall for the space under the seat.
I want to install it where the original subwoofer is placed, rear PS quarter. I would take the OEM sub out completely including the mount. There should be, in my estimation, enough room for it (about 4 - 4.5" in depth). All the other measurements should not matter, as there is ample room there.
The amp could be installed under the driver's seat, or just forward of the sub where the cubby is.

I've been thinking of one of these, behind the panel where the stock sub lives. Haven't tried it yet, so I can't say how much it will do...but I think it should fit the space fine. It's pretty small, so it might fit under a seat instead?

Rockford Fosgate® - PS-8

That amp will move the sub, but looks like it may be on the end of being underpowered. That 400w max rating is utter BS. 60wx2 rms is the figure of actual power.

Some of the comments say it ran too hot with 2 subs... my guess is that it isn't 2 ohm stable, generally meaning not a very good sub amp.

I have had 2 different whole hog mounts break. I thought the first one was from over torquing the bolts holding the sub on, but the second one broke where there was no bolt. Just my 2 cents.

so the space in the "rear sub" cubby is indeed deceptively very tight -

poof gone in the stock spot....

my little sub box is a a 6.5" kicker (4 ohm) indeed too very hard to find such - as
most sub >8" only come 2 ohms (meant to be wired in series for 4 ohm)

so the positives - my setup is completely stealth and my sub box fits behind the panel 100%

the negatives - my sub box is very small ( ~ .35 ft3) and I have to do a lot of tweaking with my
amp and xrossover (mounted under DS seat) to get a decent response. indeed better than stock - way better -
but not earth shattering...

there have been some past posts of folks using a 10" free air - bu I hvae never beeen a fan of such
i have toyed around with the idea of going to a 8" sub 0 but again space is so so tight -
thank about it - an avg. 8" sub take around .5 ft - that means you box has to be 12"x12"x6"
the 6" will be the killer - as as seen above will require you to build out...

now there is always fiberglass sub enclosures - curved sub boxes to fit the contour of the space -
but me personally i don't have experience with such...

in my research there are three methods - each with drawbacks and positives

1. sub box in you back area (as big as you like)
2. small sub box done stealth in the stock spot (like me)
3. go intricate and build in / out of the stock spot to fit a highly customized system
4. go free air - which will require a special mounting bracket ($$$) and IMHO not so good sound...

bf[/GALLERY]

Beautiful setup! but don't you worry about smash & grab with your goods showing?

Thanks. Yes. However, the truck is garaged and has car alarm. There are not usually many opportunities for this to happen. I carry a moving blanket in the truck and throw it over the box sometimes.

I just made a box that fits inside of an Action Packer.:meh:

Sub101.JPG

It was cheap, it's stealth & removable, put the lid on and it can even sit outside in the rain. Also sounds great with just 45W behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom