Steering gear box rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just finishing this up. Wasnt to bad except it took about 10 attempts to get the ball bearings back in. Only thing I am questioning is I shaved a sliver of the teflon ring putting the power piston back in. Question is, has any one else shaved the ring a bit and did it have any negative impact? The oem ring looks fine so I could pull the piston and re install it. Also tapped the box for hydro assist.
I put a tiny nick in mine... I little sliver on the leading edge and I haven't noticed any issues.

I put a tiny nick in mine... I little sliver on the leading edge and I haven't noticed any issues.
Bet we both made the same facial expression too huh? "ah fxxx.... welp, will see how it goes."

Question is, has any one else shaved the ring a bit and did it have any negative impact?
I made the same mistake but it was a decent size sliver so I replaced it. For the second attempt, I heated the teflon ring in hot water to make it more pliable and elastic. Once it was on the piston, I put the whole thing in the freezer for a while. I'm not sure if the trick was those steps or simply being more careful but the second try worked for me.

I shaved what I would compare to trimming a finger nail. I put the piston in a freezer bag and dumped it in the snow hoping that would help...didnt help much.

Without rereading this whole thread is the take away some guys are now smoothing the sharp edge?

Finally got everything back together and I feel that there is a lot more play than before the rebuild. Have the adjusting nut cranked down as hard as I can and there is still play. What should I be looking for? I had the wife adjust the wheel while watching the linkage into the box so I know its not slop in the tie rods.

Finally got everything back together and I feel that there is a lot more play than before the rebuild. Have the adjusting nut cranked down as hard as I can and there is still play. What should I be looking for? I had the wife adjust the wheel while watching the linkage into the box so I know its not slop in the tie rods.

Play, as in turning the wheel before the pitman arm moves, or general loose steering? Are you referring to cranking the threaded adjusting rod down all the way? A picture or 2 would be helpful.

How much preload did you put on the input bearings?

How much preload did you put on the input bearings?

Oops, yeah, forgot about that... that is the threaded cap with the two holes on it on the front of the box where the steering shaft connects.
That's where my $$$ is.

I marked it and thought it was back to the position pre taking it apart. Was worried that might be it. Guess I will pull it and crank the preload down a little more!

Merry Christmas!

I marked it and thought it was back to the position pre taking it apart. Was worried that might be it. Guess I will pull it and crank the preload down a little more!

Merry Christmas!

Best to use an in/lb beam type torque wrench and set it to spec.

Set it to *fj60/62* spec?

Yep, plus a bit. On the '80, Toyota considers the input section not serviced, so doesn't publish a spec.

Yep, plus a bit. On the '80, Toyota considers the input section not serviced, so doesn't publish a spec.
Searched the 60 forum but no luck. @Tools R Us, Do you recall what is fj60/62 torque spec for preload?

All broken down. Piece of cake except for the plunger piston nut. I had to drill mine out and i ruined the spring and then plunger. I would suggest ordering these ahead of time if you dont have access to a welder. Will follow up with part numbers when i have them.

Nice job dude, I"'ll go snag a spare PS gear box from a wrecked rig then rebuild it during the winter months. It may actually take months given my speed lately....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom