Steering Flush & Cleaning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Recommend you slide off those boots and have a look…
Don't know why I didn't think of that. They have a clamp on them and it looks easy enough to slide it off. I will give that a look.

you would think taking the hose off would be easy but when it's rock hard after 24 years then yeah, not gonna come off easy. I actually ended up cutting the hose since I was replacing it anyway.
A great trick that I learned a long time ago… to make your hoses remain supple and last a long time;

Degrease the hoses and dry… then massage in Shin Etsu silicone grease… a little goes a long way. Leave on overnight ( engine heat or hot days actually accelerate the rejuvenation) and then wipe off with a clean soft rag.

Shin Etsu penetrates and chemically rejuvenates all rubber products. It actually restores hard hoses to supple condition. And it’s great for preserving tired and dried out door and window weatherstripping.

Try it and be amazed 😄

A great trick that I learned a long time ago… to make your hoses remain supple and last a long time;

Degrease the hoses and dry… then massage in Shin Etsu silicone grease… a little goes a long way. Leave on overnight ( engine heat or hot days actually accelerate the rejuvenation) and then wipe off with a clean soft rag.

Shin Etsu penetrates and chemically rejuvenates all rubber products. It actually restores hard hoses to supple condition. And it’s great for preserving tired and dried out door and window weatherstripping.

Try it and be amazed 😄
Ha! I have a tube of that stuff when I was doing all the weatherstripping/seals on my 88 4Runner. Didn't even think to use it on the hoses. Oh well, they are in the garbage now!

Also, wanted to chime in on Paul's recommendation to double clamp the return lines. That worked great and in hindsight I should have just left it. But I ordered a new reservoir and hose before I had tried his tip. My reservoir was actually really clean. No gunk on the screen or anything. I will say though that for anyone thinking of doing this, replacing that 3/8" hose on the return line was a B***H! Took way longer than it needed to. Just getting some pliers on the lower hose clamp was such a pain and when you get it off, you would think taking the hose off would be easy but when it's rock hard after 24 years then yeah, not gonna come off easy. I actually ended up cutting the hose since I was replacing it anyway.
To be clear: Double clamp is only for temp fix with old hose. Permanent fix, is new hose and one clamp. I use OEM clamp with OEM hose Or when aftermarket 3/8" hose OD same as OEM hose. Otherwise I use fuel line clamp on some 3/8" AT cooler hose, that have smaller OD..

To be clear: Double clamp is only for temp fix with old hose. Permanent fix, is new hose and one clamp. I use OEM clamp with OEM hose Or when aftermarket 3/8" hose OD same as OEM hose. Otherwise I use fuel line clamp on some 3/8" AT cooler hose, that have smaller OD..
Yeah, it was intended to be a temporary fix, but it worked so well I just forgot about it. But that's why I replaced the hose/reservoir. But the temp fix held fine for over 1 1/2 years.

2nd time doing this since I own my cruiser.

80BAD032-9A14-4030-9A80-E6A1B73697D0.jpeg

Last time was about 3 years and 20k miles ago, removed and cleaned the reservoir again, not much gunk. Used same method again, as @2001LC 1st post, easy, quick and clean. White Gas from Coleman to clean, Some AT-205 mixed into Mobil1 ATF to fill.

This time I also replaced a torn boot on the steering rack, that was another story, it was a PITA!
Didn’t have the 2xmm wrench (no idea what size) to release the locking nut on the tie rod, so had to use some tape, and every lube I found in the house to get the small hole pass through it, the OEM clamp is pretty much impossible to install, ended up using a metal tie from an exhaust project, the tie rod release tool didn’t wanna work, so I ended up using my good friend 2lbs brass mallet, a whole afternoon dealing with that one, still got the 2nd one to do :(

Last edited:
2nd time doing this since I own my cruiser.

View attachment 3410935
Last time was about 3 years and 20k miles ago, removed and cleaned the reservoir again, not much gunk. Used same method again, as @2001LC 1st post, easy, quick and clean. White Gas from Coleman to clean, Some AT-205 mixed into Mobil1 ATF to fill.

This time I also replaced a torn boot on the steering rack, that was another story, it was a PITA!
Didn’t have the 2xmm wrench (no idea what size) to release the locking nut on the tie rod, so had to use some tape, and every lube I found in the house to get the small hole pass through it, the OEM clamp is pretty much impossible to install, ended up using a metal tie from an exhaust project, the tie rod release tool didn’t wanna work, so I ended up using my good friend 2lbs brass mallet, a whole afternoon dealing with that one, still got the 2nd one to do :(
TRE lock nut often need some penetrating oil soaking time. I often end up use two 18 crescent wrenches. I also have a 24" pipe wrench for really stuck one.

The OEM clamps are actually easy, once you understand how they work.

TRE lock nut often need some penetrating oil soaking time. I often end up use two 18 crescent wrenches. I also have a 24" pipe wrench for really stuck one.

The OEM clamps are actually easy, once you understand how they work.

Thanks for the video!!
I guess I need heftier pliers cause I couldn’t squeeze the clamp enough to catch with the ones I got.. I’ll give it another try when I tackle the driver’s side boot.

While you’re here, let me ask you, do you replace TRE boots if needed? My boot has a small tear, but the joint is still perfect, no clunks when moved in any axis. I know there’s OEM BJ boots but no TREs. If so, any source where to get them? If aftermarket, Do they come in different sizes? I think the shaft on ours is 20mm?

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the video!!
I guess I need heftier pliers cause I couldn’t squeeze the clamp enough to catch with the ones I got.. I’ll give it another try when I tackle the driver’s side boot.

While you’re here, let me ask you, do you replace TRE boots if needed? My boot has a small tear, but the joint is still perfect, no clunks when moved in any axis. I know there’s OEM BJ boots but no TREs. If so, any source where to get them? If aftermarket, Do they come in different sizes? I think the shaft on ours is 20mm?

Thanks for the info.
I did use long handle needle nose pliers. A set (curved & straight) for the tool boxes is a good investment, they get used a lot!

Yes! A hole in boot, allows contaminants in. Which may reduce life of Inner TRE ball and rack seal.

Tip: Count threads to lock nut. Add penetration oil (soak as long as you can), use two very large wrenches holding outer TRE as you break free the lock nut. While boot off make sure inner TRE is tight and staked.

FWIW, on both the 100 and 200 I use a little MightyVac to remove all the fluid from the reservoir with each oil change. Takes about 1/3 of a qt of ATF to refill on a system that contains only about a quart in total. Not a complete flush, but at 5k intervals it does a good job of keeping it fresh. I suppose there is some risk of suspended wear particles never getting completely expunged from the system, but you'll be way ahead of the fleet average. For me, the color stays bright and no adverse symptoms.

If you have a neglected system and don't want to remove the hose and drain to a bucket, you could also suck it out, fill with new, run the truck briefly, and repeat until you had new-looking fluid circulating. My guess is this would take maybe 3 qts to get it all cleaned up.

Super easy to incorporate this PM as part of your OCI.

Having a hard time finding the right 29" x 3/8"ID transmission cooler line from Advance Auto, for my 2001. Can someone post a link to the right one?

I should re-write the OP. I've streamline the processes a bit. Once the reservoir cleaned. Subsequent full 1 qt. flushes is a snap. Takes only 15 minutes.

But even a drain and fill, is so helpful.

I should re-write the OP. I've streamline the processes a bit. Once the reservoir cleaned. Subsequent full 1 qt. flushes is a snap. Takes only 15 minutes.

Can you link the 29" x 3/8"ID transmission cooler line from Advance Auto? Great write up as always. Thanks for all the helpful posts !

Can you link the 29" x 3/8"ID transmission cooler line from Advance Auto? Great write up as always. Thanks for all the helpful posts !
I just walk in and buy. They've have only one, 3/8" transmission cooler hose. So do many other parts suppliers. They sell by the foot or in rolls of25, 50', 100', etc.

Last edited:

If you do get around to revising it, let us know! I'm all for streamlining the process

If you do get around to revising it, let us know! I'm all for streamlining the process
Might be interesting…
2001 lx. Original everything. Kept Cali/nev dry. Diagnosing front end noise when turning. Starting with ps. Removed and emptied reservoir. Fluid occasionally replaced. Maybe never flushed. Not often enough. Don’t remember fluid type.
Photos show screen disintegrating.

Edit: wasn't meant as reply to Forger. Just extending this thread.

Plan is to clean reservoir, flush. Screen is toast.

IMG_8901.jpeg

IMG_8902.jpeg

IMG_8903.jpeg

Best to replace, if screen damaged.
Yes. I will look into that. Screen seems like a weak point for these reservoir. No body was in there mucking around with it and it just fell apart by itself. I removed as much screen material as possible to keep it out of the pump. The experience will change my maintenance routine.

Introduced some air during flush. Resulting PS noise gone after 10 minutes of test driving.

I think my front end noise is going to end up being suspension or axle. Some 12 o'clock 6 o'clock wiggle was noticed when I had the tires up off the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom