Steering arm keeps bending (pic included) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bent my steering arm by ramming it on a rock I didn't see in the desert

We did our best to straighten it up as much as possible with a winch so I can stumble home

I ordered new ones from Slee

Then at the shop we took it down from the rig and used the proper tools and a press to straighten the arm. And we checked the alignment that was in spec

I drove with the arm for 2 mounts with no problem until I got the new ones fro Slee

Fuze my :deadhorse: I added a set of tie road ends and that's it
WhatsApp Image 2019-06-16 at 16.14.20.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-14 at 17.18.31.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-14 at 17.18.32.jpeg

I did the same to the drag link years ago. I didn’t realize I bent it. It was crabbing like crazy on the freeway. I thought it was because of the bent rear control arm that was bent up and sideways. Until I got home and went under it. I went the Trail gear route.

FA4858C6-0E0F-4D8B-BF9D-187420F08186.png

I did the same to the drag link years ago. I didn’t realize I bent it. It was crabbing like crazy on the freeway. I thought it was because of the bent rear control arm that was bent up and sideways. Until I got home and went under it. I went the Trail gear route.
That's the tie rod, not the drag link.

Do you really want to know? Did you have an actual opinion or did you just copy and paste some wiki article on tubing. Do you disagree with what I said? Do you advise running some sch 40 poop pipe steering? Honestly never seen your fabwork so no idea. How much experience do you have fabricating automotive structural components? With pipe?

FYI My tie rod is 2” .250 DOM with 7/8-3/4 heims. My drag link is 1.50 .250 dom with same heims. Both running weld in hex bungs. I’m running mild steel .035 wire at home. Can tig at work but not needed.

Point is hack s*** on steering isn’t cool. Just fix it right. Its not that expensive. If making one is too much then buy a nice replacement.
I bent my 2" .25 wall tie rod. Was thinking of sleeving 2" .120 wall over a solid 1.75 aluminum bar next? Dunno

I bent my 2" .25 wall tie rod. Was thinking of sleeving 2" .120 wall over a solid 1.75 aluminum bar next? Dunno

Try putting the aluminum inside the steel tubing like we talked about.

The solid aluminum ones I’ve seen also tend to bend and stay bent. That whole spring back thing is BS

Try putting the aluminum inside the steel tubing like we talked about.

The solid aluminum ones I’ve seen also tend to bend and stay bent. That whole spring back thing is BS
That's what I just said bro

I think thats a good plan. Had considered that myself but so far so good on mine. Wadded up my 1.5” .250 pretty quick. Might end up building a tube guard deal for it too if I bend it again, which is kind of haggard looking but seems like it would help.

If not sleeved with solid AL maybe 2” heat treat chromo like the heretic fab links. Maybe 2.25 .375 wall. I THINK I have enough clearance I could make that work. Lots of dudes running 2” .250 heated treated chromo lower links though and not bending them. Don’t see why it wouldn't work as a tie rod.

I ordered one from BudBuilt. Rob said it won’t be shipped for another 3 weeks so I’m gonna have to slide my high lift handle over it till the BudBuilt one gets here.
That'll work temporarily.

Cheap as they are for aftermarket steering links. I got an extra of each that I was gonna strap up under the rear bumper, or somewhere under the truck. That’s what I used to do on my 4Runner.

Cheap as they are for aftermarket steering links. I got an extra of each that I was gonna strap up under the rear bumper, or somewhere under the truck. That’s what I used to do on my 4Runner.
Good idea. I’m gonna keep my extras within reaching distance just incase I gotta use one in a road-rage event. Those things can bash the sheeit out of a windshield.

Recycling the square tube from the receiver to sleeve his steering link.

Nice work there on your steering links. They look like a hitch receiver

So I’m wondering what size rigid steel pipe will fit over it?

Also need to know what size bolts are needed for top two on my pintle hitch?

View attachment 2076792
I just read all the replies here.

Out of curiosity, how long did the arm last before it bent the first time? If it was soon after the lift and tires, then I'd say to upgrade with a HD one like you've done, but if it lasted a reasonable amount of time (a year or two), replacing it with a used stock one could be a good alternative.

I just read all the replies here.

Out of curiosity, how long did the arm last before it bent the first time? If it was soon after the lift and tires, then I'd say to upgrade with a HD one like you've done, but if it lasted a reasonable amount of time (a year or two), replacing it with a used stock one could be a good alternative.
No lift other than 1.(?)” front spacers. I was hung up on a tree I was crossing and bent it. Got my buddy’s winch and routed it from underneath and behind my 80 and managed to straighten it out for a few months. Recently bent again so I ordered a beefier one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom