Steering arm keeps bending (pic included) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m wondering what size rigid steel pipe will fit over it?

Also need to know what size bolts are needed for top two on my pintle hitch?

A31495E9-FD47-4361-9160-EA4B0889B6F6.jpeg

B5AF4F51-819B-443B-80F1-BCC3284558D9.jpeg

There's thing that you can do called measuring that will answer both of your questions

M12x1.25 if memory serves. Two holes are threaded, two require nuts.

When you say "keeps bending", does that mean you keep replacing it to only have it bend again or are you straightening it to only have it bend again? Also, what size tires? May be time for an upgrade.

When you say "keeps bending", does that mean you keep replacing it to only have it bend again or are you straightening it to only have it bend again? Also, what size tires? May be time for an upgrade.
Bends then I straighten it out with a jack while someone turns the steering wheel as far left as possible.

Those tires are 35.5” super swamped TSLs (Q78s)

Once it fails it should be replaced. It will continue to fail as it has been weakened from original form.

Some say upgrade, others prefer this to be the cheaper ‘fuse’ in the system. Grab one from a part out and wheel on.

Once it is bent, it will never be strong again. Don't think you'll be able to sleeve it since you probably can't straighten it enough to get the sleeve on.

A friend runs those tires and did the same thing. He went with a much beefier rod, used 1-ton ends, and a RHD steering arm. But if it were me, I'd get a used one. If it happens a second time, then do an upgrade.

Don’t use pipe for steering components, ever. Please. Even just to sleeve something.

Tube is relatively inexpensive. Build a fresh one or buy a nice replacement. Pipe is not tube. This is your steering, this keeps you in your lane. Don’t **** around.

Let me add to this. It seems like you want to pound some scrap pipe down your bent drag link that you’ve apparently bent and straightened multiple times. This leads me to think your mindset is to be as cheap as possible which with steering is not what you should be doing.

Last edited:
Tube is relatively inexpensive. Build a fresh one or buy a nice replacement. Pipe is not tube. This is your steering, this keeps you in your lane. Don’t f*** around.
Do you have a particular spec?

Seamless?
Cold Drawn or Hot Drawn?
DOM?
ERW?
ASTM A519?
ASTM A513 Type 1, Type 2, Type 5?
Chromoly?

What about wall thickness?

Then let's discuss welding.........
SMAW
GMAW
GTAW

Do you drill and plug in addition to seal weld the ends of the tube? What wire / stick do you recommend?

Do you slip over and reinforce or remove and replace?

Bends then I straighten it out with a jack while someone turns the steering wheel as far left as possible.

Those tires are 35.5” super swamped TSLs (Q78s)

I'm surprised that you're surprised it keeps bending again.

There is a junkyard near me that shows a 95 80 series online. It might be your friend. I would go Budbuilt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom