Steering arm keeps bending (pic included) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good luck on your 4.6 swap :)

So bent twice? Once in oe form and once in winched kinda straightish form. The title makes it sound like a repeated problem.

If you make it too heavy, it pushes the fail point into the steering gear or pitman arm.

It slices!
It dices!
It minces and mangles!

So certain, are you?

A68017DD-FA9E-4092-B6AD-6291A8359D57.jpeg

168EA339-7E72-4E07-92C5-408629FF3B63.jpeg

Note the bent $10 rockauto Chinese drag link which has also twisted two other sector shafts back when it was straight over the last couple years.

But maybe that Chinese crap is just that tough. Except that inkpot twisted a sector on an OE drag link.

The factory steering rods are not fuses. I don’t care what CDan or any of the others have said at this point. It’s 6,000lbs against a (comparatively) puny rod of steel.

Maybe the 105 sector is stronger. Maybe hydro assist would be a good preventative. Those are the things I’m about to be testing, so I guess I’ll find out in time.

Last edited:
So certain, are you?

View attachment 2085870
View attachment 2085871

Note the bent $10 rockauto Chinese drag link which has also twisted two other sector shafts back when it was straight over the last couple years.

But maybe that Chinese crap is just that tough. Except that inkpot twisted a sector on an OE drag link.

The factory steering rods are not fuses. I don’t care what CDan or any of the others have said at this point. It’s 6,000lbs against a (comparatively) puny rod of steel.

Maybe the 105 sector is stronger. Maybe hydro assist would be a good preventative. Those are the things I’m about to be testing, so I guess I’ll find out in time.

z5qkv.jpg

So I’m wondering what size rigid steel pipe will fit over it?

Also need to know what size bolts are needed for top two on my pintle hitch?

View attachment 2076792
[/QUOTE
Lift too high
Tires too big
Rod too small
Wallet too barren
Clearly the dirt dobbers are the issue.

Good luck on your 4.6 swap :)

So bent twice? Once in oe form and once in winched kinda straightish form. The title makes it sound like a repeated problem.
I’m not sure how many times I fixed it. Doesn’t matter anymore now that I’ve got the BidBuilt one as a backup. All I’ve got to do is remember to turn the wheel all the way to the left while jacking up on the bent bar before heading out each morning.

Wait the bar bends every day and in the morning before you would leave you would turn the steering all the way left and then jack the truck up by the bar to straighten it? That’s some out of the box thinking.

Forget everything I said in the 4.6L V8 thread, please do that swap and document it here for us.

I’m not sure how many times I fixed it. Doesn’t matter anymore now that I’ve got the BidBuilt one as a backup. All I’ve got to do is remember to turn the wheel all the way to the left while jacking up on the bent bar before heading out each morning.

So certain, are you?

View attachment 2085870
View attachment 2085871

Ummmm....It's shown on his kitchen counter, along with his other Ronco appliances....... That's the point.

Sorry to have to explain it.

youll-have-to-excuse-my-friend-hes-a-little-slow.jpg

Try putting the aluminum inside the steel tubing like we talked about.

The solid aluminum ones I’ve seen also tend to bend and stay bent. That whole spring back thing is BS

I had 7075 solid 2” lower links on my crawler and they absolutely bent and straighten out. Got a video on YouTube of it.

Cheers

Not sure if you have done anything to fix your situation but I would recommend looking into Marlin Crawlers upgrading steering for the 80.

Marlin Crawler upgraded steering

I just got mine as they were back-ordered but so far really impressed. They come with 555 ball joints.

Not sure if you have done anything to fix your situation but I would recommend looking into Marlin Crawlers upgrading steering for the 80.

Marlin Crawler upgraded steering

I just got mine as they were back-ordered but so far really impressed. They come with 555 ball joints.
Looks cool but BudBuilt got mine here in less than a week for $100+shipping($13). I’m gonna buy some new joints (and bong hits) when I put my new bar on. Then I’m gonna mix up some margaritas and go wheeling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom