Starts and runs then dies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need help! The LC will start and run great for about ½ hr to 1 hr during that time I can drive it, accelerate the engine, turn it off and back on. Everything works great then it just dies. It will start back but then die. After it dies and stays off for 10 minuets it will start and run for about 10 minuets. If I let it sit for a long time it will start and run for ½ hr to 1 hr. Whenever it starts dying no change even if I pump the gas peddle.
It is a late model 77 no modification just like page 271 in the Haynes repair manual.
No vapor lock on the gas tank, I have taken the gas cap off no change.
All new vacuum lines correctly installed checked and double checked.
I drained the gas tank and changed the fuel filter. Fresh fuel with a new inline clear fuel filter, Fuel is present in both the filter and the carburetor bowl.
Disconnected the BVSV vac. line no change.
Disconnected the EGR vac. line no change.
Before I start swapping parts trying to figure it out, has anyone had experience with this problem?
Wondering if it could be the ignition coil and or igniter is getting to hot and miss firing.

dont know if this will help but i have read about the same thing in other threads and most of them have said its do to the Carburator fan...
search for carbutator fan and hope that helps..

How does it die? Sputter and cough till it dies...or is it instant like the key is turned off??

The cruiser slowly dies not a sputter and cough, just a slowing of the engine. Not instant like I turned off the key.
The carburetor fan is not working however it dies even with the hood up just idling in the afternoon when the out side temp was 80 or so.
The carb fan could be the problem however after reading several threads most had trouble with starting on hot day or starting after it cruiser was running some. My cruiser will easily restart then it dies. After it dies and stays off for 10 minuets it will easily start and run for about 10 minuets.
Vapor lock could be the problem. I will fix the fan.
At what temp is the carb getting to hot and causing vapor lock?
I think heat related is on the right track, any other thoughts?

In my limited experience, true vapor lock is rarely a problem on LandCruisers. Yours could be different though. I was thinking more of a heat problem with one of the black electrical type boxes under the hood...
A pic of your under hood might help.

I had an issue with my carb that once it was running and warm it would die. There is a small Vacuum valve that is on the top of the stock Aisin that has a control arm. This arm fits in a channel controlled by the choke. This arm had fallen out and was my culprit. I hope this helps its probably just a one time fluke.

The carb still has fuel in it. The engine easily restarts, I do not have to prime the carb or choke it to restart the cruiser after it is hot.
The manual choke works properly. I use it on cold starts, and afterwards the engine will idle great.
Michah- I’m not sure what you are talking about is it the vacc valve the choke breaker that is connected to the choke breaker connecting link and the throttle positioner connecting link. I will check!
Pighead- Where might this black electrical box be?
I will get a pic under the hood and check on the control arm this weekend.

The carb still has fuel in it. The engine easily restarts, I do not have to prime the carb or choke it to restart the cruiser after it is hot.
The manual choke works properly. I use it on cold starts, and afterwards the engine will idle great.
Michah- I’m not sure what you are talking about is it the vacc valve the choke breaker that is connected to the choke breaker connecting link and the throttle positioner connecting link. I will check!
Pighead- Where might this black electrical box be?
I will get a pic under the hood and check on the control arm this weekend.
Yes it is the vacc valve that caused my trouble. I hope its as simple as this for you!

My 2 cents:
Is there liquid fuel in the bottom of the manifold when it dies?
What is the level of fuel in the bowl? Middle of the sight gauge?
Can you hold your hand on the coil after it stalls or is it too hot?
Are the coil and distributor wire connections tight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom