FJ40 hard to start and died while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I’m new to the FJ40. I’m coming from a 1995 80s series. Any insight into what may be causing my issues is greatly appreciated, as I’m very excited to get my new truck on the road.

It’s been very difficult to start, sometimes it fires right up, but most of the time it takes several tries with/without gas, with/without choke, etc, and it’s inconsistent when it does fire. (I should mention, it cranks very strong, but just has a very hard time firing.)

Up until this evening, whenever I’ve gotten it fired up, it’s run like a top. This evening it started up after having trouble all day, we pulled it out of the garage, let it warm up, and killed it to put garage back in order. We came back maybe 2 minutes later and the truck would not start. Cranked forever, wouldn’t even fire spraying carb cleaner into the intake. We were able to point it downhill and bump start it, and starting our drive. Before making it out of the neighborhood, maybe 2 minutes into driving it died in motion.

Didn’t lose power, still cranks strong, just will not fire up. We turned back down the hill again and got it to almost fire on a bump start, but it didn’t stay running.

I’ve only owned it since last night, so I’m still very unfamiliar with this vehicle. Thanks everyone in advance!

PS: 1974 FJ40 with 3 spd and 1F motor. 89,000 original miles.

1st thought, Guessing it’s not getting fuel anymore. Can have buddy crank while pouring slight amount of gas into carb. If no good, could be kill circuit in ignition went bad (is grounding) since I assumed you did key off to kill it before stashing back in garage. This would prevent running but not firing.

Just my thoughts. Weak fuel pump, clogged filter. Corrosion on the terminals both outside and inside the distributor cap. Leaking spark plug wires ( look at them in the dark while cranking - dancing fire is bad).

You need to do a full fluids of all sorts inspection. Pull each wheel/drum and inspect the brakes and hoses.

Grease all the points.

When you're checking the fuel system, go through all of it. Pull the passenger seat, remove the fuel gauge and peek into the tank to check the interior condtion - rust, etc. Pull off the hose leading to the fuel filter to see if fuel is flowing. All of the above suggestion also. I'm going through the same thing, and I believe my tank is caput - I used POR 15 tank sealant and expect to see some peeling. I will also remove most of the fuel, pull the drain bolt on the tank and check the gas coming out for crud. If so, I need a new tank. Blowing air into the hose before the fuel filter to clear any blockage in/by the tank pickup tube only works for a while.

Also, plan on changing all of your soft fuel lines/hoses for new marine grade 5/16 ID hose and blowing compressed air into the hard lines as precaution. Buy a decent length and cut as needed when you remove each old most likely rotted piece. Some of my hoses were incredibly rotted.

You may even have to pull the top off of the carb to see into the float bowl under the float for crud, and maybe even rebuild the carb. You need to be sure all the carb circuits are clear.

Last edited:
If it is cranking strong, why are you push starting it?

Sounds like an ignition problem to me. If you can crank it strong and it doesn't fire, but then came to life on the bump start then probably a weak ignition - seems quite common from following this forum.
Ignition switch is a common point of failure - try cleaning up the inside with wd40 and a bit of key jiggling. Same goes for the ignition switch connector under the steering wheel - easier to clean too.

Pull plugs out and see what your sparks looks like.

Good photos of the whole ignition system will help everyone diagnose :)

Coil, and distributor connections plus overview of the engine bay especially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom