'73 FJ40 runs cold for first 5 minutes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have a '73 FJ that runs really cold for the first 5 minutes. It has a 2F engine in it with a rebuilt Holley 2 Barrel carb. I have to start it and let it idle for about 5 minutes to get it to run right. It is almost like it is being starved of fuel. Once it is warmed up, everything is dandy!

If I try to drive it prior to the warm up period it stalls trying to get out of first and is very sluggish.

Any thoughts?

And warming it up on a cold day is a bad thing??? Heck, it’ll take 5 minutes just to get the oil warmed up enough to get the oil relief to reseat….
I let mine warm up ‘till I see at least the coolant temperature indicator move off the ‘C’….gives me time to go back into the house and get my coffee ready 🤣🤣

Back in the day during the summer you had to set the choke on cold starts. Today fi engines richen the mixture on cold starts regardless of temp.

let it warm up 6 minutes
HAHA

Jokes aside....get your choke working. Cold engines can't atomize fuel efficiently which is why cold start on fuel injected vehicles pick the idle up and dump extra fuel. Or on Harleys, they don't use chokes, just enricheners.

Aside from that, you need to make sure you have minimum 18inHg of vacuum to have a properly running vehicle (at sea level).

Ditch the Holley though and go back to stock, but if that isn't an option anytime soon. do the above and make sure the holley is setup properly and do a plug check and determine if the plugs are burning effectively....they should be tan.

I have used the city racer carb and had good success on a 2F. On my 1974 F engine FJ40, I had both Rochester and. Holley carbs. The Holley ran great but did take a good 3 minutes at idle to not cough and spit on a cold winter day. It alway started easily, just don’t try to drive it before it’s slightly warm. Oil was thickened anyway due to the -10 to 20 degree temps….but that was in 1975

We have a '73 FJ that runs really cold for the first 5 minutes. It has a 2F engine in it with a rebuilt Holley 2 Barrel carb. I have to start it and let it idle for about 5 minutes to get it to run right. It is almost like it is being starved of fuel. Once it is warmed up, everything is dandy!

If I try to drive it prior to the warm up period it stalls trying to get out of first and is very sluggish.

Any thoughts?

Does it have the stock 2F exhaust manifold or headers?

Sounds like it’s time for a Pertronix…..never worry about points again.😎
This...or better yet, a 1980s dizzy... (says the guy who hates points)

I believe so. it came with 2 sets of headers. the one on the 2f engine was cracked. We put the 2nd set on since it was in better shape.

The stock 2F manifold essentially attached to the bottom of the intake manifold which helped warm the fuel/air in the intake manifold

With headers the motor will behave like its slow to warm up in colder weather.

If you ran a vacuum gauge, you would probably notice a difference as the engine warmed up. Since carburetors are vacuum dependent, you would know exactly when you reached the threshold of your engine’s happy place.

I run a vacuum gauge in all my rigs. On the rare occasions where I don’t have time to wait for the engine to warm up, I feather the choke while watching the gauge to cheat some extra vacuum until it gets hot enough.

If you ran a vacuum gauge, you would probably notice a difference as the engine warmed up. Since carburetors are vacuum dependent, you would know exactly when you reached the threshold of your engine’s happy place.

I run a vacuum gauge in all my rigs. On the rare occasions where I don’t have time to wait for the engine to warm up, I feather the choke while watching the gauge to cheat some extra vacuum until it gets hot enough.
That’s cool beans, great tech tactic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom